Ultramarines Codex Space Marines Preview - Chapter Traits

Captain Idaho

Once, with a unit that isn't very special. It's a nice trick but it's likely as useful as a tank benefiting from the Ultramarines Chapter Trait...

The Grey Shield warlord trait affects all Indomitus Crusader units in the detachment, so it can affect multiple units. It would affect all Primaris Captains, Primaris Lieutenants, Primaris Ancients, Intercessors and Inceptors.

It's pretty powerful for the CP cost and probably the best use of our Chapter Tactic.

That said, it's not specific to Ultramarines and sadly, White Scars do it better - they reverse the Chapter Tactics having the Ultramarines one for the turn they really need it and the more useful White Scars tactic the rest of the time.

It's only really going to be effective on Intercessors as they (as a squad) can hit with plenty of bolter shots and then charge with a bunch of attacks. It's average but it'll mount up.

Inceptors charging will give a marginal chance for a Mortal Wound and would rather just shoot.

Characters without combi weapons? No one will much care.

I think if I was going to try this, I'd go auto bolt rifles on the Veteran Intercessor squad to make use of Bolt Storm. Charging, falling back, shooting with automatic hitting then charging again could really do some work.

I'm still concerned about the survivability though. This is all great in theory, but if the Intercessors get mauled in melee there might not be enough left to make a significant impact or justify the use of Grey Shield or the CP for Bolt Storm. That's what really bothers me with our Chapter Tactic - in order to use it proactively we need to have survived multiple melee phases with an opponent who wants to be in melee with us.