Ultramarines Supplement

Captain Idaho

But you can use the "parent" Chapter's WL Traits, Psychic Powers, and Stratagems no matter what Tactics you select, as I understand it.

Yeah.

If you Ultramarines Successor Chapter #40932749, it doesn't matter if you take two random Successor Traits; you still get access to the Warlord Traits, Indomitus Discipline, Special Issue Wargear relics, and Stratagems.

By being Ultramarines, you get everything of course; if you're a Successor with the IotP Tactic, then you get access to the full Relics on top of the above list.

Ash is incredibly annoying. I can't stand the man.

He's also fallen out with many in the community and honestly it's likely all his fault.

The first review I saw was from another group and they were great, even if they do love Primaris a bit too much for me! 

They were genuinely excited about some of the UM stuff, such as the Tau Strategem that lets us OW like those filthy space cows. 

Seeing a few folks singing praises for auto bolt rifles with Scions. Hate to rain on that parade, but they sadly do not interact. Scions doesn't work if you advanced or fell back :sad.:

Auto Bolt rifles are better for other chapters, not Ultras specifically.

I guess that's possible but the way "to hit" aura's changed I feel like there's still value there. I intend to try 5 man units out. Being able to run and gun, with 3 shots a piece I think they still hold value with 15 shots... pricing is my question. Did they come down to meet the Bolt Rifle points?

I still like the idea of UM Stalker Bolters too. (Damage 2 now?)

Seeing a few folks singing praises for auto bolt rifles with Scions. Hate to rain on that parade, but they sadly do not interact. Scions doesn't work if you advanced or fell back :sad.:

Auto Bolt rifles are better for other chapters, not Ultras specifically.

I guess that's possible but the way "to hit" aura's changed I feel like there's still value there. I intend to try 5 man units out. Being able to run and gun, with 3 shots a piece I think they still hold value with 15 shots... pricing is my question. Did they come down to meet the Bolt Rifle points?

I still like the idea of UM Stalker Bolters too. (Damage 2 now?)

They're still +1 point.

Based on the MathHammer, they match or exceed the bolt rifle's performance (a small, trivial amount) when in range. The bolt rifle in Ultra armies is a bit more reliable here, though because from turn 2 on they double tap no matter what. Further, the bolt rifle strat is simply gold.

Not to say autos don't have a place, but I agree with Ishagu - they have a more relevant spot in other armies because those armies do not get Scions. That alone reduces a lot of the bolt rifle's weaknesses compared to the auto.

But I'm a huge fan of rule of cool and think the auto looks super cool with that big box mag.

Yeah for the Ultramarines specifically, when you factor in Scions of Guilliman, the regular Bolt rifles are the most attractive.

For other chapters the Auto Bolt rifles are more attractive prospect as they are a guaranteed 30 shots from a 10 man squad at a full 24" range.

Scions may do nothing for the auto bolt rifle, but it isn’t hurt either. The auto bolt rifle strat gives you auto hits at 12”. Run them up guns blazing, and you’ll force your opponent to make a choice. Of course, he could be running to you, in which case now you’ve got a speed bump with some teeth on it.

Side note, I really wish I had been plugging away at models since the start of 8th.

Scions may do nothing for the auto bolt rifle, but it isn’t hurt either. The auto bolt rifle strat gives you auto hits at 12”. Run them up guns blazing, and you’ll force your opponent to make a choice. Of course, he could be running to you, in which case now you’ve got a speed bump with some teeth on it.

Side note, I really wish I had been plugging away at models since the start of 8th.

lol that's what I did. I started buying Primaris straight away, didn't use a single one in a game until a year later (took my time and the rules didn't push me to). The army was very cheap to collect by GW standards, lots of boxsets and plenty of kits were available on ebay.

Now, two years on, I have every unit aside from the newest ones fully painted and in multiples. I can run basically any list. I think I've hit 4k points of fully painted Primaris, just off the top of my head I've added up my units to 3834 points but I'm sure I'm forgetting something lol

Edited by Ishagu

Hey I'm painting my 4th Ultramarine army since inception! I sold a big one to Mini-Wargaming.com and then a full Primaris one with 2 Repulsors, and Guilliman. I started from scratch about 6 months ago. I think this is though. It's exhausting.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking about the Intercessor opinions is because I have my 10 man one done with Bolt Rifles and that's probably all I need. I'm thinking the last 5 I have should be something different. For overall use I like the Autobolt rifle, but Ultra's won't suffer the move penalty with Scions of Guilliman using the Stalker's (which got the 2 damage change). If the strat still exists to shoot characters with them, it could be a good choice.

The Ultramarines discipline seems pretty decent, being able to generate an extra CP seems pretty good and Psychic Shackles to slow an assault unit could ruin someone’s plan - and plus our Tau strategem, seems like our Librarians will make excellent support units.

I'm personally really liking the idea of combining (not necessarily against the same unit):

1. Psychic Shackles to halve Move and -1 from Advance/Charge rolls
  2. Tenebrous Curse to halve Move/Advance/Charge rolls for a non-FLY unit
  3. Thunderfire Cannon with Tremor Shells strat to halve Move/Advance/Charge rolls for a non-FLY unit (can be combined with either PS or TC)
  4. Use Suppression fire to shoot the TFC twice!

So that'd be four(!) units with half movement, three of which halve their Advance/Charge rolls; and one could potentially have their Move quartered, and have their Advance/Charge rolls halved with an additional -1!

I'm personally really liking the idea of combining (not necessarily against the same unit):

3. Thunderfire Cannon with Tremor Shells strat to halve Move/Advance/Charge rolls for a non-FLY unit (can be combined with either PS or TC)

So that'd be four(!) units with half movement, three of which halve their Advance/Charge rolls; and one could potentially have their Move quartered, and have their Advance/Charge rolls halved with an additional -1!

Am I missing something here, or could you quarter the move of two units? Tenebrous Curse one unit, then hit it wtih Tremor Shells. Psychic Shackles another unit, then hit it with Tremor Shells.

Am I missing something here, or could you quarter the move of two units? Tenebrous Curse one unit, then hit it wtih Tremor Shells. Psychic Shackles another unit, then hit it with Tremor Shells.

Yeah, you're right. That'd be pretty damn nice vs Genestealers and Ork Boys. Lock down two units, hammer a third with your guns, then relax!