Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shock Assault

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts
Hey guys

With the advent of this new rule anyone thinking about changes to their lists to take advantage of it?

I am in the middle of a close combat themed squad at the moment so it's pretty fortuitous.

Great plague cleavers got a boost. With just one attack a powerfist equivalent was a bit 'swing and a miss'. I don't feel so bad about taking 2 in an anti-tank type squad now.

Axe/ mace combo- yup they gonna whale on anything that gets close

Flails..... Oooh boy. Yeah that's going to be a bit overpowered...
Battle Tracker for my White Scars (Swindon 2008): Games this year 5 - Wins 2, Losses 2, Draws 1

Opponents:
Grey Knights 0/ 1/ 0 Imperial Guard 1/ 0/ 0
Eldar - 0/ 1/ 0 Crimson Fists 0/ 0/ 1
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

Sherrypie

Sherrypie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 234 posts

We are slow, so flails aren't going to be overpowered but very effective. If our melee has thus far dented squads, actually wiping them might now be in the cards more often.

In general, I'm stoked. Terminators became a lot scarier, which is great as I love running them, and Rhino rushing melee squads of PM's might get more wind under its wings now. It's high time to start making some... :P

Conversion heavy truescale Death Guard project, getting to army size! http://www.bolterand...s-with-the-xiv/

Legio Favilla walks, Ashen Gods unleashed! http://www.bolterand...gods-unleashed/

Kilofix

Kilofix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,182 posts
  • Faction: Radicals, Renegades & Heretics
Wait, does shock assault apply to chaos?
gallery_75122_9925_245.pnggallery_75122_9925_845.pnggallery_75122_9925_2931.pnggallery_75122_9925_34773.jpeggallery_75122_9925_17742.pnggallery_75122_9925_17937.pnggallery_75122_9925_15020.png
“Imperial counter-strike massacred on Isstvan Five. Vulkan and Corax missing. Ferrus Manus dead. Night Lords, Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers are with Horus Lupercal”

mcshafterson

mcshafterson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

Wait, does shock assault apply to chaos?

It does, they posted that Chaos Marines will have access to it.

So hopefully it'll work with Chaos Space Marine infantry, bikers, Terminators, and Helbrutes.

Time will tell.

it will work with Chaos Space Marine infantry, bikers, terminators, and Helbrutes.

Edited by mcshafterson, 07 August 2019 - 04:19 AM.

Sherrypie

Sherrypie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 234 posts
They will soonishly release an errata document with the proper rules for how and who gets it, as stated in one of the articles.

Conversion heavy truescale Death Guard project, getting to army size! http://www.bolterand...s-with-the-xiv/

Legio Favilla walks, Ashen Gods unleashed! http://www.bolterand...gods-unleashed/

DemetriiTZ

DemetriiTZ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 542 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
They also claim our vehicles will gain chapter traits, so Inexorable will suddenly make stuff like upgunned Rhinos and such worth another look too.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,248 posts
If the vehicles get inexorable then DG predators suddenly got very strong, as would all the daemon engines with heavy weapons!!

As for shock assault it's really nice, especially with an Arch Contaminator nearby as all the melee options are plague and thus have so many buffing opportunities.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,421 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades
I think with the changes to shock assault, we almost need to include a flail of corruption into all PM squads. The 2d3 swings would add crunch to the unit.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

Raktra

Raktra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,852 posts
  • Faction: Berserkers of Uran
A Blightlord with flail could kill up to 18 single wound infantry in melee now on perfect rolls, not including potential DTTFE. That’s what I want from my Marines, lemme tell you.

"I may be but small, but I will die a colossus."

Brotherhood of the Lost: The Berserkers of Uran:
http://www.bolterand...ceral-boogaloo/

gallery_92945_11930_20871.png

Zombs

Zombs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

They also claim our vehicles will gain chapter traits, so Inexorable will suddenly make stuff like upgunned Rhinos and such worth another look too.

Wait really? Where did you get this info?
PBC would become even better, shotting at 4+ rerolling 1s when mooving.

Anyway, the attack boost imo makes our marines even better jack of all trades. I would include 1 flail in each squad. We can respond to threats even better with that + arch-contaminator. Evert squad becomes almost self sufficient. Terminators are way scarier, but the problem of getting them to the fight sadly remains. Maybe warptime could become a staple now that melee is better?

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts
It's Ben said in a few places regarding the new chapter traits that they will apply to all.

How that will be implemented in the new codex space marine will be interesting to see. Like wise we will have to see how Shock Assault and legion tactics tricky down through the chaos ranks
Battle Tracker for my White Scars (Swindon 2008): Games this year 5 - Wins 2, Losses 2, Draws 1

Opponents:
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,421 posts
The search for flails begins.

Maybe we could counts as the icon that comes in the plague marine kit as a flail substitute? I'm sure they will go for a mint now.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

BlueBiscuit Raider

BlueBiscuit Raider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts

My biggest fear is that our Legion trait won't affect the PBC, the excuse being that it's a daemon engine not piloted by a marine unlike the Predator.

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
I'll believe chaos space marines and specifically death guard chapter tactics apply to all units when I see it. And even if chaos space marines eventually get it, that isn't a garuntee death guard will either being a separate codex and all. Anyone have an official link rather than speculations? Don't get me wrong, I would love if it does apply to the whole codex, makes us that much stronger. I'm just tired of getting my hopes up.

Zombs

Zombs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Ye same here. Just compare our "chaos 2.0" with this SM update and you can clearly see the disparity between how loyalist and CSM are treated.
  • Marshal Loss likes this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,339 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

GW has said that we are only getting Shock Assault numerous times. Unless the outcry has changed their minds, which is very unlikely in the short term, no CSM faction will get traits on vehicles, most likely because they would have to re-work numerous sub-factions (e.g. Word Bearers) whose abilities would not transfer across. Don't get your hopes up.

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts
Depending on how marines get treated I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to death guard being rolled into a supliment codex if they did something similar with the Chaos dex.

We aren't that much different to the other legions

Opponents:
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Point for point chaos space marines were not far off from space marines. Now that chapter tactics are better and applying to all units, it's very unbalanced. Word Bearer's legion trait is a joke and built into all normal space marines already... I'm surprised chaos even got shock assault to be honest.

Hathor42

Hathor42

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 194 posts

I tried it last night a unit of blightlords with a flail tore through a custodes squad thanks to the flails 3d3 attacks. 

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts
I wouldnt be at all surprised if flails get FAQed to not be able to use it.

Flails are an obvious bonus to Shock Assault what do people think about the rest of the plague weapons?

Edit- will you use more cc weapons or would you just use what you have already but with extra attacks?

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki, 10 August 2019 - 09:08 AM.

Opponents:
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts
Even plain old plague knifes will be more effective.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
@Wolf Lord Loki I would not gear normal plague marines for melee but taking a group of 10 Blightlords and casting blades of putrefaction, using Votlw and now with shock assault seems very promising.

I can see if someone has a large group of PM that is trying to pull off a blight bombardment would benefit from it afterwards on the charge.

Zombs

Zombs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
In theory It All sounds op, but in reality how many times are the blightlords gonna make that charge vs a good opponent? Imo marines are the one that benefits more. You don't necessarily have to search for melee, but when the necessity arise... 2-4 D3 flail shots can come handy. Also you can take all bolters and still have 2 attacks that reroll to wound. This Is how I see It at least in my experience.

Edited by Zombs, 10 August 2019 - 11:02 AM.

BlueBiscuit Raider

BlueBiscuit Raider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts

I certainly hope that something similar to Doctrines comes to Chaos in the future, call it Rites of War or somthing, to reflect the tactics of the old legions.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,421 posts
I dont think you really need a dedicated melee squad. A one off flail per squad does feel almost mandatory.

Its benefits outweigh its costs. That being said, I've never been a fan of all melee squads. Giving up shooting hasn't been something I've ever wanted to do though. Then again my meta is kinda spread out and bolters are more versatile.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users