Shock Assault

Wolf Lord Loki

Hey guys

With the advent of this new rule anyone thinking about changes to their lists to take advantage of it?

I am in the middle of a close combat themed squad at the moment so it's pretty fortuitous.

Great plague cleavers got a boost. With just one attack a powerfist equivalent was a bit 'swing and a miss'. I don't feel so bad about taking 2 in an anti-tank type squad now.

Axe/ mace combo- yup they gonna whale on anything that gets close

Flails..... Oooh boy. Yeah that's going to be a bit overpowered...

We are slow, so flails aren't going to be overpowered but very effective. If our melee has thus far dented squads, actually wiping them might now be in the cards more often.

In general, I'm stoked. Terminators became a lot scarier, which is great as I love running them, and Rhino rushing melee squads of PM's might get more wind under its wings now. It's high time to start making some... :P

Wait, does shock assault apply to chaos?

It does, they posted that Chaos Marines will have access to it.

So hopefully it'll work with Chaos Space Marine infantry, bikers, Terminators, and Helbrutes.

Time will tell.

it will work with Chaos Space Marine infantry, bikers, terminators, and Helbrutes.
Edited by mcshafterson

If the vehicles get inexorable then DG predators suddenly got very strong, as would all the daemon engines with heavy weapons!!

As for shock assault it's really nice, especially with an Arch Contaminator nearby as all the melee options are plague and thus have so many buffing opportunities.

A Blightlord with flail could kill up to 18 single wound infantry in melee now on perfect rolls, not including potential DTTFE. That’s what I want from my Marines, lemme tell you.

They also claim our vehicles will gain chapter traits, so Inexorable will suddenly make stuff like upgunned Rhinos and such worth another look too.

Wait really? Where did you get this info?

PBC would become even better, shotting at 4+ rerolling 1s when mooving.

Anyway, the attack boost imo makes our marines even better jack of all trades. I would include 1 flail in each squad. We can respond to threats even better with that + arch-contaminator. Evert squad becomes almost self sufficient. Terminators are way scarier, but the problem of getting them to the fight sadly remains. Maybe warptime could become a staple now that melee is better?

It's Ben said in a few places regarding the new chapter traits that they will apply to all.

How that will be implemented in the new codex space marine will be interesting to see. Like wise we will have to see how Shock Assault and legion tactics tricky down through the chaos ranks

I'll believe chaos space marines and specifically death guard chapter tactics apply to all units when I see it. And even if chaos space marines eventually get it, that isn't a garuntee death guard will either being a separate codex and all. Anyone have an official link rather than speculations? Don't get me wrong, I would love if it does apply to the whole codex, makes us that much stronger. I'm just tired of getting my hopes up.

GW has said that we are only getting Shock Assault numerous times. Unless the outcry has changed their minds, which is very unlikely in the short term, no CSM faction will get traits on vehicles, most likely because they would have to re-work numerous sub-factions (e.g. Word Bearers) whose abilities would not transfer across. Don't get your hopes up.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if flails get FAQed to not be able to use it.

Flails are an obvious bonus to Shock Assault what do people think about the rest of the plague weapons?

Edit- will you use more cc weapons or would you just use what you have already but with extra attacks?

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki

@Wolf Lord Loki I would not gear normal plague marines for melee but taking a group of 10 Blightlords and casting blades of putrefaction, using Votlw and now with shock assault seems very promising.

I can see if someone has a large group of PM that is trying to pull off a blight bombardment would benefit from it afterwards on the charge.

In theory It All sounds op, but in reality how many times are the blightlords gonna make that charge vs a good opponent? Imo marines are the one that benefits more. You don't necessarily have to search for melee, but when the necessity arise... 2-4 D3 flail shots can come handy. Also you can take all bolters and still have 2 attacks that reroll to wound. This Is how I see It at least in my experience. Edited by Zombs

I dont think you really need a dedicated melee squad. A one off flail per squad does feel almost mandatory.

Its benefits outweigh its costs. That being said, I've never been a fan of all melee squads. Giving up shooting hasn't been something I've ever wanted to do though. Then again my meta is kinda spread out and bolters are more versatile.