Shock Assault

Wolf Lord Loki

I have one squad of marines for close combat all armed with axes. Right now I've only fought custodes with them so they didn't do to well partly cause I couldn't seem to roll a 5 or 6 with vets and blades on (that and I forgot arch contaminator was nearby) 

Not gonna lie, this change has made me want to pick up another unit of Plague Marines to gear out for combat and put in a Termite alongside a Biologis Putrifier and Tallyman for my "Forlorn Hope" assault squad. Sure they're not optimal but it seems like fun.

Melee Plague Marines are delightful when they actually work. I played a game against BA before Shock Assault was revealed and my melee squad of marines managed almost wipe out his Sanguinary Guard, partly thanks to being buffed by Blades of Putrefaction and DttFE.

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like hateful assault has been added to the FW index as well. I think it makes FW CC Dreadnoughts pretty nasty as well. My first thought was DCCW Leviathan but it will definitely attract a lot of fire stomping across the table. Now I'm thinking about DCCW for a Contemptor. The Contemptor can deepstrike via Dreadclaw to keep it safe from being shot off the board in a turn or two. With two chainclaws that would be 6 S14 D4 attacks on the chrage hitting on 2's. It can also take the soulburners to throw out a few mortal wounds before it charges. I think it sounds pretty nasty! I definitely wish we had access to a drop pod that the levi could take :(

Played my first game since Hateful Assault was added, a friendly match in the small campaign me and my friends have been running, and it's rather satisfying seeing blightlords just straight up delete any infantry unit the manage to charge, Primaris included.

I'll try melee Plague marines and maybe Deathshroud in our next game to see how they fare.

Played my first game since Hateful Assault was added, a friendly match in the small campaign me and my friends have been running, and it's rather satisfying seeing blightlords just straight up delete any infantry unit the manage to charge, Primaris included.

I'll try melee Plague marines and maybe Deathshroud in our next game to see how they fare.

I tried a blob of 15 marines today, with 2 flails and they did amazing.

I tried a blob of 15 marines today, with 2 flails and they did amazing.

How else did you gear the rest? Have you had any success with msu with 2 flails or? I want that to work

15, 2 flails, 2 launchers, sergent with combi-bolter and rest bolters.

I tried MSU only one time and it went pretty bad. But I think because I didn't commit to it fully. I tried a batallion of 4 x 5 marines with 2 launchers + 1 flail. Problem with that is they got shot at immediatly because they are the easiest target to kill (rest of my list is plaguebearers). My opponente thought that since plaguebearers are usually -1/2 to hit it's not worth to shoot them immediatly and they are not a threat. So he shot marines first and since I can only use cloud of flies on 1 unit, the others just got targeted instead. And they due pretty fast if u focus them.

Lately I have ben found a bit more success with the 15-man blob just because I can cloud of flies it every turn. Also the buffs stack better on big units.

This is just my experience tho.

Edited by Zombs

I tried MSU only one time and it went pretty bad. But I think because I didn't commit to it fully. I tried a batallion of 4 x 5 marines with 2 launchers + 1 flail. Problem with that is they got shot at immediatly because they are the easiest target to kill (rest of my list is plaguebearers). My opponente thought that since plaguebearers are usually -1/2 to hit it's not worth to shoot them immediatly and they are not a threat. So he shot marines first and since I can only use cloud of flies on 1 unit, the others just got targeted instead. And they due pretty fast if u focus them.

Lately I have ben found a bit more success with the 15-man blob just because I can cloud of flies it every turn. Also the buffs stack better on big units.

My thoughts were that as well, bigger group is better in melee. Cloud of flies is one of the only things getting them across the board into melee safely. And then with the spell buffs / votlw it's nice to have the larger group. So you didn't mess around with any mace/axe or double knife? Just kept the rest shooty with blight launchers (because those rock). If you had the points would you ever use a Biologus and blight bombardment as a backup with the large group? I've only ever got that to work out nicely once in my life so I always kept mine shooty and msu.

My thoughts were that as well, bigger group is better in melee. Cloud of flies is one of the only things getting them across the board into melee safely. And then with the spell buffs / votlw it's nice to have the larger group. So you didn't mess around with any mace/axe or double knife? Just kept the rest shooty with blight launchers (because those rock). If you had the points would you ever use a Biologus and blight bombardment as a backup with the large group? I've only ever got that to work out nicely once in my life so I always kept mine shooty and msu.

Imo it's not worth to spend points on melee weapons that are not flails. I could consider going double knives, but I like bolters in shootier matchups. Reguarding the biologus: there is a lot to say. I tried 2 games, 1 with him and 1 without. Without him, the granades hit like a wet noodle and are only good vs T3 hordes (which my meta doesn't have). On the other hand if you play for example vs Guard/Tau, he will never be usefull. I think I will keep him (I have it now in my 1500pt.s list) because of 2 things:

1) I play CA2018 missions and a lot of those have central objectives. So usually there is a concentration of unit there, and being able to just delete them with granades is huge.

2) My meta has a lot of ork players, so granades are a nice ensurance against basically everything. Chaos is also prevalent here, so I usually find myself at shor range.

If you play ITC for example or your meta is very gun line-heavy, I would not advice for the biologus. I would not advice for the big blob of marines too. Right now it's pretty hard to play MSU marines, at least from my games. They are not like intercesors unfortunately. There is a guy who is using a plague marine spam list here and seems to have success with it, so maybe you just have to go full on marines to make them work, who knows ahah.

The only melee weapons I'm not crazy about are double Plague Knives, and I have yet to use them with the new rule so they may be good now, I'm not sure.

I've fielded multiple melee-only Plague Marine squads (numbering 7) since the codex was first released and I've always had fun with them. They've always done damage or at least caused some kind of commotion or have drawn attention on the board and have even given my buddy's Berserkers a run for their money from time to time. With the new rules I think they'll not only be fun but also more "viable". I say that in quotations because I've never played competitively, I've never entered a tournament with the intention of winning, and I've found Assault Plague Marines to be worthwhile, if only in a squad or two and backed up by ranged Marines.

I've had decent success with ranged plague marine msu (3 plasma 2 bolter or 1 plasma, 2 bolter and 2 blight launcher). I usually have bloat drones, crawlers and a DP up harassing stuff early long enough for my marines to get in cover and good double tap range. My group and locals are mostly shooty, either SM, IG, tau, necron and Eldar. Very few other chaos, orks or tyranids. I want to play more melee teams, deathguard are pretty good mid ranged anti melee with all the flamers and rules on blight haulers and blight spawns. And hateful assault is a nice addition, haven't had a chance to play with it yet though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I has a go with the new Hateful Assault rules today.

I specifically armed two of my plague marine squads to get them into combat.

One squad got shot to pieces before it recovered from its rhino exploding.

The second pulled off an assault at the same time as the blightlords.

7 plague marines vs 7 tactical marines

5 blightlords vs 8 tactical marines

The blightlords as expected mulched the squad they were facing. No survivors.

The plague marines. Well... The flails killed the ENTIRE squad of tactical marines. I never even got to use the rest of the squad!

I didn't even figure out I should use DTTFE.

The tactical squad was just gone!!

I'm thinking that rhino's and close combat armed plague marines are now MUCH better than taking plague burst crawlers

Gotta agree here, the PBC just aren’t as bulky as they were 6/12 months ago and really don’t hit that hard.

I've been using two units of nine Plague Marines in Rhinos and then one Blightspawn and one Putrifier. The first unit has Champion with Plasmagun, 2x Blight Launchers, and 6x bolters. The second has Champion with plasma pistol, 2x blight launchers, 2x flails, and 4x double knives.

I trail them with a DP (with Arch Contaminator and plate) and a jp Lord (with Plaguebringer).

With this I have been able to take out multiple units of Primaris in a turn.