Ultramarines Codex Space Marines Preview - Doctrines

Captain Idaho

Or what about a Rapier Carrier with a Laser Destroyer?

Take that T6 Eldar Flyer with -3 to Hit modifiers... automatic hit with S12 (so wounds on a 2+), AP-4 (so no armor save), Dmg D6 weapon that has the potential, if you roll well, to go up to 2D6 or even 3D6 damage (so an average of 7 dmg for 2D6 or 11 dmg for 3D6) on a single Unsaved Wound!!!

I see this stratagem being immensely useful in clutch situations. It could be great for guaranteeing a hit on that last dude camping a backfield objective, or sniping guard characters with eliminators.

Also I'm super stoked to finally be able to fall back and shoot with my land raider. I'm really tired of having its shooting shut down when it gets anywhere near enemy lines.

I believe it uses the words "attack", which means it's a single attack of any weapon. Which is a shame. Well not for game balance but still.

This is correct. It specifies for one attack, so one hit roll, one wound roll etc. A weapon with multiple shots is making multiple attacks, which technically are all rolled one at a time. We just roll all at once (with the Fast Dice Rolling rule) because otherwise games would take days.

Just to make sure it's clear, as people seem to be hoping it works a different way or unsure about the wording, the exact wording is;

"Use this stratagem before making an attack..."

and

"When resolving that attack...."

And from the 40k rulebook (HB p179, Number of Attacks);

"Each time a model shoots a ranged weapon, it will make a number of attacks. You roll one dice for each attack being made. The number of attacks you can make with a weapon, and therefore the number of dice you roll, is found on the weapons profile along with it's type."

So a heavy bolter (Heavy 3) makes 3 attacks. Martial Precision only affects one of them.

Hopefully that's put to rest now.

An automatic hitting Lascannon on a hard to hit flyer is pretty good anyway. I wouldn't like it on a model or weapon basis as an opponent.

Chronus in a Stalker with the new stratagem hits Alaitoc Flyers on 2's, 3's if they use Reflexes.

He also wounds them on 2s and does 2x damage on natural 6s.

for only ~130pts

I believe it uses the words "attack", which means it's a single attack of any weapon. Which is a shame. Well not for game balance but still.

This is correct. It specifies for one attack, so one hit roll, one wound roll etc. A weapon with multiple shots is making multiple attacks, which technically are all rolled one at a time. We just roll all at once (with the Fast Dice Rolling rule) because otherwise games would take days.

Just to make sure it's clear, as people seem to be hoping it works a different way or unsure about the wording, the exact wording is;

and

"Each time a model shoots a ranged weapon, it will make a number of attacks. You roll one dice for each attack being made. The number of attacks you can make with a weapon, and therefore the number of dice you roll, is found on the weapons profile along with it's type."

So a heavy bolter (Heavy 3) makes 3 attacks. Martial Precision only affects one of them.

Moar FAQ.

and

Moar FAQ.

Does it really require a FAQ or better reading comprehension on some peoples part?