The Atrocity at Calth - True Scaled Ultramarines

3e5a1b868981c362d0d10e76bd3e057e.png

++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++

Brothers, the dogs of Lorgar have shown their treachery today. 

Let them know that the Sons of Guilliman do not fall so easily, 

and make them pay for their betrayal of the Emperor in blood and death.

Courage and Honour!

++ END TRANSMISSION ++

Here I go again..

Hi all, with the latest Primaris release firmly cementing my 40K hobby into a 30K hobby, I've decided to start a new WIP log based on updating my old 30K Ultramarines. Originally the marines that I have recently been true-scaling were for a 40K army so that the Classic Marines didn't look too short next to any Primaris Marines I was going to get, but I have set my heart on only focusing on the 30K side of things for now as I am feeling a bit disenfranchised with the current 40K setting. Therefore, everything I have worked on this past year is being retrofitted to make a new, slightly taller, AoD Ultramarines army (still using 8th Edition rules unfortunately as my main opponent only plays 8th Edition Orks).

I decided to restart my Ultras and scrap all the old army as I was not happy with the paint job I had done on them as I have since improved, and I've always wanted to make my Marines slightly taller than standard so they don't look so short compared to Imperial Guard etc.

Just to kick things off I thought I would share a few of my favourite figures that I have been working on recently, but I will share more stuff over the coming weeks as I get deeper into the project.

To begin with, this is my latest iteration of my homebrew character, Centurion Jay Burgii of the 38th Company.

AmbITa7.jpg

ElLNTQc.jpg

The name Jay Burgii is a play on my own real life name. I have a habit of creating characters that are meant to represent what I would like to be in the Warhammer universe.

An as of yet unnamed Chaplain

23WRoHv.jpg

A Librarian for when Guilliman eventually re-allowed them

A6h6MPS.jpg

Dz3vXl9.jpg

And just some regular marines to show the scale of them compared to regular marines

(Note that the red lines aren't perfect but are just there so you can get the gist of the size difference)

VjIWv5b.jpg

Obviously there is a lot of work to be done in filling in the gaps and smoothing out the areas that I have shoved plasticard into, but it will all eventually get finished. I currently have all the parts to make 3 10-Man Tactical Squads, a 5-man command squad, and a contemptor dreadnought.

I have also got my Sicaran Battle Tank and a WIP Leviathan Dreadnought that I would like to strip to start again, but have yet to build up the courage to do so.

e1sCpBY.jpg

rOuzcee.jpg

Thank you for looking all, and I hope to give you an update in the not too distant future. I have a habit of starting WIP logs and never getting very far with them, but hopefully I can stick to it this time. In my 17 years of the hobby I have yet to complete a fully painted army of any substantial size, which is something I really need to rectify. Especially now that I have finished University and have a full time job so I can actually afford to do so.

Thank you for looking,

Jay

Edited by Centurion Jay

I look forward to following your progress on this new chapter of the Sons of Guilliman! I quite feel with you regarding how ones old projects do not stand up to scrutiny next to your new, I've been a Ultramarine player myself for many years now myself and I never like how it look when I actually field an army as the contrast in quality between units is just too stark. 

Of the ones pictured so far I quite like the Chaplain, he looks striking yet regal as befits his status within the legion. I like the helmet especially, but I adore it whenever people embrace the greco-roman aesthetic.

I look forward to following your progress on this new chapter of the Sons of Guilliman! I quite feel with you regarding how ones old projects do not stand up to scrutiny next to your new, I've been a Ultramarine player myself for many years now myself and I never like how it look when I actually field an army as the contrast in quality between units is just too stark. 

Of the ones pictured so far I quite like the Chaplain, he looks striking yet regal as befits his status within the legion. I like the helmet especially, but I adore it whenever people embrace the greco-roman aesthetic.

Thank you, and I appreciate the comments regarding the Chaplain and the greco-roman aesthetic. It is something I'm really trying to go for, pretty much any close combat weapon is going to be a gladius of some sort, either a power sword or I am slowly trying to collect enough of the Ultras upgrade sprue gladius' to use as a replacement for chainswords if I ever get around to doing an Assault Squad. Every officer/sergeant is also going to have a helmet crest and pteruges/cingulum, aside from the above Librarian as I couldn't get a crest to look good with the psychic hood.

Excellent work on the upscaling!

Thank you very much, if I am honest I was inspired by the likes of you and Tyrannicide to do the upscaling after following that 'In Memoriam' group log a bunch of you guys had a few years back. I have it bookmarked and regularly go back and flick through it for inspiration.

Looking good! I like the upscaled marines you've put together! Nice use of bits, good modeling, and excellent poses!

Cheers! I'm trying to get as many varied looking poses as possible, as one of the problems with my old Ultras was they used the regular BaC marines and they all looked like clones.

Here is the contemptor I mentioned in my previous post, which is an Emps Children one with most of the Emperors Children insignia removed. I am hoping they will eventually go back and release an Ultramarines Contemptor because it looks like every other Legion is getting one now.

L1Mh0SN.jpg

AFGcgxu.jpg

I will be magnetising his weapon options when I get around to buying some so I am not locked into only playing him in one way.

I've also got a few more marines to show. They still look a little rough as I haven't gotten around to smoothing the joins up yet.

uXL1Rjf.jpg

As you can see, some of them have skinny leg syndrome, but once the legs have been cleaned up I plan to give them all a holstered pistol and plenty of magazine pouches/grenades which I am hoping will go some way in alleviating that problem. I'm also trying to make it so that any marine who isn't wearing a helmet has one attached to him somewhere, the middle marine in the above pic for example has a scarred face, so I'm planning on making it look like a fresh wound. The helmet on his base actually has some damage over the eye lense to represent this as well, although I didn't take a picture from behind to show it.

That's all for now, once again thank you all for the comments! I've only just finished reading Buried Dagger and it has inspired me to try and make a Knight Errant, who is currently on my workbench as I type this so I'll throw some more pics up in the near future!

Jay

Love the new guys, they look awesome! Also, I do agree, the BaC and BoP marines have some major issues with looking like clones, but... I suppose it makes sense for a bunch of line-troopers to look all the same :lol:

I do really like the use of the Emperor's Children Contemptor. It's honestly my favorite of the Legion specific ones just due to the aesthetics of it, and removing the III legion iconography, I can already imagine it in the blue, white and gold of the XII. What's the plan for the first weapons, seeing as how you said it'll be magnetized?

Thank you all for the kind comments!

I hear ya about the BaC and BoP marines looking like clones *glare at my HH inspired Emperor's Children*. You definitely do not have that issue with these Ultramarines.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear it! I'm aiming for a mostly uniform army, with the differences in the poses and small details such as different legs etc to try and make them not all look the same.

Nice work on those five! Tons of character.

Cheers! I really want each miniature to look like an individual that has a story behind him, so it's appreciated you think they have character, it means I must be on the right track haha.

Love the new guys, they look awesome! Also, I do agree, the BaC and BoP marines have some major issues with looking like clones, but... I suppose it makes sense for a bunch of line-troopers to look all the same :laugh.:

I do really like the use of the Emperor's Children Contemptor. It's honestly my favorite of the Legion specific ones just due to the aesthetics of it, and removing the III legion iconography, I can already imagine it in the blue, white and gold of the XII. What's the plan for the first weapons, seeing as how you said it'll be magnetized?

Yeah, I am really looking forward to painting the Contemptor, I think its my favourite as well, closely followed by the Death Guard one. Currently thinking my first weapon choices shall be twin Kheres for a Mortis to begin with!

Look real good! In following with interest!

Thank you very much, hopefully I don't disappoint!

Got the other 5 marines semi-built (no gap filling or pouches etc added yet) of the first tactical squad these past few days.

WOh5N68.jpg

VWwcXlB.jpg

Work has begun on the second tactical squad now. I've got most of their upper bodys completed, just need to "bigger-ize" the legs. Hopefully I will have them done in the next couple of days to show you all. In the meantime, I've also been building a Command Squad all equipped with Gladius'. Currently waiting for their legs to arrive via Ebay. I also need to get around to buying some more MK IV marines as I have ran out of torsos and some other bits I need to carry on. 

2mxSV09.jpg

I have a 4-day weekend next weekend, so I'm really trying to get the other two tactical squads and this command squad all fully built with the gaps filled and the pouches added to their waist so that I can have a few days painting everything I have built so far before I move onto buying some more stuff. I'm currently thinking of some Breachers, but I think I am getting ahead of myself at the moment and need to focus on getting what I already have the parts for done.

Thank you all for looking!

Jay

Thank you all!

No picture updates unfortunately, I have had a bit of a busy weekend so haven't really had much of a chance to work on anything. Spent a couple of hours today filling the leg gaps of the first tactical squad and my captain and adding pouches/holsters/grenades etc to them. I'll hopefully get chance to work on the second tactical squad tomorrow night, so I'll try to throw some pics up tomorrow evening!

Cheers,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

So, I did write a post explaining why I haven't posted an update for a while etc but it seems I'm an idiot and mis-clicked before I got chance to post it and deleted it all. Therefore I will keep it short and sweet.

I have managed to start work on the second tactical squad, having gotten the first 5 guys upscaled. They still need gaps filling and I ran out of shoulder pads so will need to source some via ebay or just splash out and get another MK IV box (the spare parts are always useful).

zMvIEJq.jpg

I've also not got much done on the command squad I previously posted, but have mostly built its remaining member.

pjtKlBP.jpg

pn8NdMe.jpg

The blank MK V shoulder pad is there because I need to greenstuff a shoulder cape and add a decorative shield to it so that he matches the rest of the command squad, once they are given legs that is. He is meant to represent the Sergeant of the Squad. I really liked the legs as they were, but I replaced the Torso that is attached to them with a regular looking MK IV one, and placed a spacer in the waist and some plasticard to his feet to keep him in scale with the rest of my army.

My current objectives are to get the second tactical squad finished and the rest of the command squad fully built before moving onto anything else. Fingers crossed these will be done over the coming week. I am finding it takes me a while to actually upscale them and I am left wondering why I have chosen to do it, but now when I look at the regular marines in my collection they do annoy me at how stunty they look so I will just have to power on with the upscaling.

Thank you all for looking, and I hopefully it won't be too long between now and my next update!

Jay

Nice progress! Second tactical squad looks off to a great start. The command sarge also looks great. I love that pose and I am looking forward to seeing him with the added cloak. Are you doing the watered down glue on a paper towel for that?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a while but I have been slowly plugging away. The upscaling of the legs is what makes it slow to be honest, its an arduous task and one I don't like doing, but I like the results. I've yet to pluck up the courage to go back and start filling in all the gaps in the legs. 

Enough with the boring excuses and on to some pictures!

First of all, I completed the second half of the second tactical squad!

v7o4Ok1.jpg

I have then started work on the third tactical squad, I'm aiming for three tactical squads and a breacher squad to start off with. (Breacher squad using sternguard rules in 8th)

iwVKQam.jpg

I've also nearly finished the Command Squad. Using the robot leg guy from my previous update as a Legion champion now so he has been replaced. These guys just need some Pteruges/Cingulum/Leather Strap things to finish them off, and greenstuffing the wolf paws to the cloak of the standard bearer. You can't see the cloak in this picture, but it is a cut down Space Wolf torso back with wolf pelt. I wanted to eminate the Roman Legion Signifiers with him.

Rnc3pt7.jpg

I've also made an Apothecary, not sure if he will ever get used but I like the idea of them fluff-wise!

ryxhWep.jpg

I wasn't too happy with the first iteration of my Captain, so made some slight changes to him to make it so that he was wearing full MK IV armour.

rFMigch.jpg

And now finally, this is something I have wanted to make for a few years now but have never gotten around to it.

ii4q0FO.jpg

Free internet points to anyone who can guess who he is meant to be and what artwork I am trying to replicate!

I've got a few other updates to show, but I'll get pictures up over the next few days for them. I'm also going to be ordering one of the new FW Ultramarine Contemptors because it looks awesome. I don't need 2 Contemptors but I sure as hell want that Ultramarine one!

Thank you for looking!

Jay

Thank you all for the comments!

Keep on grinding with the upscaling, dude. These are looking great!

That’s turning into a very faithful adaption of that old Ventanus piece from Collected Visions. Always been interested in seeing someone take a stab at it and you’re off to a terrific start.

Ventanus is perfect man. Very well executed.

Thank you both! The upscaling is a grind but I'll push on. Glad you guys knew what I was going, it must mean I am on the right track. I wanted to blend the old artwork with the current model range, so there is some slight differences but I'm far from skilled enough to nail the artwork bang on. I'm hoping the head looks the part. In the recent black book artwork they have made him look quite youthful, which I prefer but I just couldn't find a suitable looking head.

wU3ZZw4.png

The legs are biggest obstacle, but I'm waiting on a few different sets to arrive in the post to have a play with. Ideally I'd have like some MK VI legs like the original artwork but they wouldn't looks fancy enough. One of the sets of legs is from Tylos Rubio which I'm gonna try out. Need to find/make a suitable base as well which I can stick the banner into the ground behind him.

Looking good so far, interested in seeing them finished and painted!

Thank you! I should really paint a test model, and I can't wait to slap some paint on. I hope it's not in the distant future but I don't want to make any promises.

Hopefully I'll have some more updates for you over the weekend to look at!

Cheers Jay

• 4 months later...

So I really let this thread die. Unfortunately my interest in the 40K hobby waxes and wanes sometimes, and so progress halted. However, with the UK on lockdown and sporadically having to go into work rather than 6 days a week, I have a lot of free time on my hands. Therefore, I thought I'd get back in working on my 30K Ultras.

And what better way to start than with my Remus Ventanus conversion!

OSCvAxT.png

ZPrA0P3.png

It took a while to find some legs that I liked, and I decided to change how he was holding his helmet as I was struggling to make him rest it on his knee similar to the artwork I was basing him off:

250px-Remus_Ventanus.jpg

It's not exact but it's close enough that I'm happy with him!

That's all for now but I'm hoping to get some more work in the following weeks!

Thanks for looking!

Jay