Is Castellan Crowe worth buying?

THe title is pretty much it. But he seems worth it because he's a character and is pretty accurate in CC, can't think of many negatives, please share your opinions and if you have any recommendations please share those as well!

No, even with his special abilities and having him fully buffed, psychic powered up and any other tricks - he still only hits the ceiling of being a good-to-great chaff clearer. Which is something GK have already in buckets considering the amount of stormbolter fire we put out.

I wouldn't even bring him to fluffy tournaments, normal Brotherhood Champions are better. If you like the model (which is severely dated in my opinion) get it and just play him as a BC.

I'd only buy him for the model. Its dated but I like.

But in game. Unless playing a narrative, just no. I can't even justify using him for an extra purifying flame as a purifier squad is only 25pts more, and has many more shots and attacks with actual ap values and the same wounds.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

So, he's not super great. I rarely field him because he just doesn't kill a whole lot. But here's the thing: he seems scary. To an opponent who doesn't usually face GK, hearing that your characters rerolls all hits and wounds and each successful wound generates another attack is pretty spooky. Mentally, the other player goes, "alright, this little bastard is going to pump out 10 attacks every fight phase." Then you tell them that he always smites for 1d6 damage and that he can fight again when he dies. Again, if your opponent isn't super familiar with GK, that can fill them with apprehension. Then they focus a lot of firepower and movement towards taking out an 80 point model.

He's not good. He just isn't. If he had -1 AP on his sword or some sort of force multiplying aura, he would be better. But as he is he just doesn't do a whole lot. But in my experience he can have a huge psychological impact on your opponent. Distraction Carnifexes are a thing!

Just for the hell of it I’m gonna make one out of an extra strike squad model and I got a cool demon sword bit to replace his force sword but ya, spend those points anywhere else if possible! Edited by Soder

Crowe isn’t awful but he isn’t great.

He’s damn cheap for what he offers and he can chop up GEQ like no tomorrow.

But he lacks -ap to be a proper “dueling” character.

His purifying flame is strong and D6 mortal wounds is nothing to scoff at, but it’s likely not going to come up in any given game. It’ll also likely only have a chance to be used after: you charge, your opponents turn, and then on your turn in the psychic phase.

Stick with your generic HQs voldus, and lord draigo

Actually, yes. 

He is the second cheapest HQ after Techmarine, so he comes handy to fill this last slot for battalion. When you have 80-90 points left in your list, he is a nice choice to fill this gap.

Crowe is not great stat-wise, but his D6 mortal wounds can easily catch opponent off-guard. You can use him to sit on objective in your deployment zone. Or thow in stormraven - it often has a free seat or two. He also can dispatch small enemy units with ease, like guardsmen or tac squad (intercessors are probably too tough for him). But no more than that. I'd have it in collection but only after other important stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious, if he had the standard AP-3 for his sword like other Relics of Titan, and a 6" D6 smite would he be a solid pick for his points, or at least as a solid alternative to a regular Brotherhood Champion who has the different stances instead? 

Just make him use stances too and MW on 6+ to-hit. 

I'm curious, if he had the standard AP-3 for his sword like other Relics of Titan, and a 6" D6 smite would he be a solid pick for his points, or at least as a solid alternative to a regular Brotherhood Champion who has the different stances instead?

Just make him use stances too and MW on 6+ to-hit.

Would that invalidate a regular BroChamp though who costs 12 points more...?

Right now at least they have different styles / roles when fighting (which doesn't necessarily have to be that way), but it helps to distinguish what otherwise would be overlapping units. 

Edited by Waking Dreamer

I am not a fan of distinguishing for the sake of distinguishing. BroChamp will still have his 12" smite and AP-3 sword. He could use some point cost drop too. 

Didn't Crowe have a rule, which allowed him to use both stances at the same time? He is one of the best swordsmen in the galaxy. Being an anti-horde guys makes no sence for him. What about making a mortal wound on 4+ to-wound unmodified, but only if he attack other characters? 

• 3 weeks later...
How about the best of both worlds (rule sets), keep his current attack generation on successful wound rolls, and add in a MW on every 6+ to wound. That way his sword skills allows him to be a one-man army against fodder (different to the regular Brochamp) but the added MW on a 5+ (with hammerhand), makes him a potentially dangerous dueling as well...?? Fitting for the GKs best swordsman?