Changes to Drop Pods rumors

I'm not gonna lie Wolf Brothers, I've had no desire to play my SWs this edition. I started picking up on it at the end of 7th that GW really doesn't know what to do with the Vlka Fenryka nor how they should be represented and played on the table top. It also doesn't help that since half way through 6th edition I settled on Blackmanes as my great company and with the severe nerfs to Drop Pods for most of 8th so far there's been little reason to play my army.

It seems that may be changing a little bit now, though! I've seen some posts on Facebook which I'll consider rumors because I haven't seen any official confirmation from GW yet but it looks Drop Pods are regaining the ability to come onto the table T1! Since the beginning of 8th I've been thinking about Dropping x4 MM Long Fangs in Drop Pods down the enemies throat as well as utilizing the Dreadnought Drop Pod.. there's a couple nasty option that can be utilized there including Leviathans with Grav.

What do you think, brothers? Anyone else planning on dusting off your drop pods?

So assuming this is real:

What even goes in the pods? The obvious CSM choice so far is grav devastators or sternguard.

Long fangs, or maybe even kitted out wolf guard could be neat. I don't know if that's enough though.

I did some reading around the vanilla marines forum. It's confirmed Drop Pods are an exception to the tactical reserves rule.

Long Fangs and Dreadnoughts honestly. Now that Forge World has released the new Dreadnought Drop Pod there are a bunch of units that can have some viability. 

Right now I'm flirting with 2 Drop Pods in my list. 1 with 2 units of Long Fangs (x4 MM and x4 HB) and the other Drop Pod with a Leviathan Dread armed with Storm Cannon/Siege Drill (may wind up swapping that for the claw). x8 storm cannon shots x2 heavy flamers from the Leviathan hitting as well as 12 HB shots is some decent horde clearing. x4 MM shots can definitely put a hurting on high T models like tanks and monstrous creatures. That's definitely a lot of targets that the opponent must deal with in his face. If the Levi is able to make it into CC in the charge phase then the opponent is really going to be having a bad day. 

What do people think of large grey hunter squads? Not the most kill-y option, but awesome amounts of board control turn one. A 10 man squad with pack leader could take 2 plasma, a plasma pistol, and a combi-plasma. Very expensive, but interesting to try.

What do people think of large grey hunter squads? Not the most kill-y option, but awesome amounts of board control turn one. A 10 man squad with pack leader could take 2 plasma, a plasma pistol, and a combi-plasma. Very expensive, but interesting to try.

That’s totally how I played back in <7th. One hunter squad with a RP and a dread in a second pod. Instant backfoot for the opponent, I loved it.

You're not wrong about the board control and damage output but in this edition with the way wounds work two packs of 5 is more effective than one pack of 10

Two squads of five does exacerbate the problem drop pod assault already runs into: having to deploy half of your units. Now every drop pod has to be offset with three units on the table instead of two (if I understand the rules right and they haven't changed it in a FAQ at some point).

Two squads of five does exacerbate the problem drop pod assault already runs into: having to deploy half of your units. Now every drop pod has to be offset with three units on the table instead of two (if I understand the rules right and they haven't changed it in a FAQ at some point).

Yeah if youre trying to fit all your troops into drop pods as transports you might be right, but 2-3 max drop pods in a 2k point list shouldnt be an issue

the best use of the new pod rule is 5xgrey hunters (1xplasma gun, 1xplasma pistol) + 5x long fangs (leader 1xplasma gun/4xplasma cannon) ....wolves eye and keen senses on long fangs... niceeee

I believe we wont get that rule though....our pdf will only include new primaris and shock assault .... which will be a shame if they wont include the mini rule changes for old units :sad.:

PS: Look at the bright side we will still have cheap thunderhammers for characters untill we get patched 1.5 years from now:tongue.:

Edited by lonewolf81

the best use of the new pod rule is 5xgrey hunters (1xplasma gun, 1xplasma pistol) + 5x long fangs (leader 1xplasma gun/4xplasma cannon) ....wolves eye and keen senses on long fangs... niceeee

I believe we wont get that rule though....our pdf will only include new primaris and shock assault .... which will be a shame if they wont include the mini rule changes for old units :sad.:

PS: Look at the bright side we will still have cheap thunderhammers for characters untill we get patched 1.5 years from now:tongue.:

Oh I'm sure point changes are part of that pdf that's coming with the codex. That does seem to be a bit heavy handed of a point bump. Edited by jbickb

I wonder what exactly it means for drop pods to ignore what is normally a game-wide rule. Like, could you deploy two LF squads and put the rest in pods, or do you have to put literally the entire army in pods to ignore the "deploy half" part of the rule?

Or maybe the pods can be placed in reserve without affecting the balance. Like any other reserves (scouts and On the Hunt) still have to be offset by units on the table but pods and their contents don't count as the half on or the half off.

Anyway even though this just takes us back to the way it was at the start of 8th, I definitely plan on trying at least three drop pods in my list. The 9 inch restriction makes it really hard to get a truly tricky alpha strike, but if nothing else it's a more fun way to protect Grey Hunters so they at least get one good rapid fire turn off, and if you make the charge it's just gravy. Really hoping Lucius pods get updated too, but I don't follow FW releases so I don't know whether that is a realistic expectation or not.

I imagine so as well. The Rage in HAte in my Player Circle about the now "OP" Astartes, especially from our resident Chaos Players is unbearable ( While I can sympathize we haven`t even played a single Game). I do think that there will be some FAQs and Points Adjustments incoming over Time.

• 2 weeks later...

The two constants in warhammer 40k.... Players will complain about Space Marines and they will complain louder about Space Wolves. View it as a badge of honor. 

That's a Law of Warhammer just as much as the inevitability of asking "How'd you paint your armor?" on a gallery blog in the Space Wolves forum.

Seriously people, just post it at the top of your gallery.