Wolf Spear Colors/Badge Final?

VIth

Please someone tell me that the Wolf Spear chapter badge and color scheme isn't final.  I just learned that a random Space Wolves fan shared his home brew colors and chapter badge (a wildly difficult to replicate badge) with a Black Library author, asked him to make that "official" (!), and now we're all stuck with his interpretation.  Do people not have an issue with this?  It's one thing if GW says "this is what the Wolf Spear chapter looks like," it's something else entirely when a random fan gets to impose their view on everyone else.   That's putting aside the deviation from any historical Space Wolves colors, the difficulty in replicating that badge across an army, and that the spear neither looks like the Spear of Russ nor a typical spear.  I have been waiting to paint up my Primaris collection, and if GW actually sticks with those colors (and that badge) I'll just do a normal homebrew SM chapter rather than Space Wolves (which I've been playing since 2nd ed.)

I do not like the colour scheme of the Wolf Spear, nor the badge. And I don't like that the writer use it as an official thing. But from the other side it is cool that someone use an idea of the SW fan.

Please someone tell me that the Wolf Spear chapter badge and color scheme isn't final.  I just learned that a random Space Wolves fan shared his home brew colors and chapter badge (a wildly difficult to replicate badge) with a Black Library author, asked him to make that "official" (!), and now we're all stuck with his interpretation.  Do people not have an issue with this?  It's one thing if GW says "this is what the Wolf Spear chapter looks like," it's something else entirely when a random fan gets to impose their view on everyone else.   That's putting aside the deviation from any historical Space Wolves colors, the difficulty in replicating that badge across an army, and that the spear neither looks like the Spear of Russ nor a typical spear.  I have been waiting to paint up my Primaris collection, and if GW actually sticks with those colors (and that badge) I'll just do a normal homebrew SM chapter rather than Space Wolves (which I've been playing since 2nd ed.)

We may well know when the next Codex drops. If it is still the same, then it's canon per the only thing that can make it canon - GW.

Until they decide to contradict it.

And if a BL (part of GW) author agreed that it would be canon, then it's not some random fan imposing their view, it's a BL author imposing a view (that happens to be from a fan).

Honestly, I'm not sure why people are upset, most of the BL authors and game developers are also fans that happened to get a job with GW and moved their way up.

All that said, they are your models and you can always paint them how you want, even if it isn't the canon scheme, and you can still say "These are my (X famous Chapter)" when you play a game.

And they didn't deviate from any traditional Wolf colors, they are light and dark grey, with gold and white accents, from what I've seen. Very much hues of traditional Wolf colors.

Personally, I'd ignore the flanking wolf heads, and just use the white diamond with a "more stylized spear-head only with a small part of the spear shaft" as their Chapter icon.

Its whatever you want it to be.

and still will be even after they decide.

You could be a divergent great company within the wolf spear or even a irregular company

It's not like the wolf Spear are the only successor chapters, it's just the only named one.

If I were to go for a Primaris VIth’s successor, I’d say RG revived the Wolf Brothers and gave them their original livery: when the Legion was split, the wolves kept the name, the brothers kept the colours...

+ Edit: I just always figured that would be a decent explanation why the Wolves’ colours changed between the 30th and 41st milleniums...

Edited by Spinsanity

As stated you can make them what you want. At one point I killed off Harald death wolf and his company changed the iconography to represent Alarik Silvermane (his successor)

Successor Chapters are supposed to deviate from the founding chapter's colours. Which is why I think the Blades of Vengeance and Knights of the Chalice are garbage colour schemes and while I'm not hot on the fan Wolfspear scheme its better than that.

I'm pretty sure I've seen another Ultima Founding Space Wolf successor mentioned who weren't called Wolfspear.

Please someone tell me that the Wolf Spear chapter badge and color scheme isn't final.  I just learned that a random Space Wolves fan shared his home brew colors and chapter badge (a wildly difficult to replicate badge) with a Black Library author, asked him to make that "official" (!), and now we're all stuck with his interpretation.

It was a Space Wolf fan club not one guy. The provisional chapter badge is the club's logo but its not 'official' unless Guy Haley or someone else writes it so.

I'll just do a normal homebrew SM chapter rather than Space Wolves (which I've been playing since 2nd ed.)

Wolfspear aren't Space Wolves, if you want to do Space Wolves the Wolfspear are irrelevant.

I also got sick of waiting for official Wolfspear colours due to having other chapters I was thinking of doing.