+ Painting Event: Sons of Dorn Expansion VI +

Dosjetka

The timing of this event hasn’t worked too well for me to be honest. I’m working mainly on stuff for AT right now, and was holding off on my Crimson Fists while waiting to see what the rules were.

However I do have a lot of stuff under way. I'd like to get involved.

First up, here's my current WIP attempt at Pedro. He's based on Calgar with the power fist from a Dark Vengeance Terminator. I've got the shape sorted and all the bits, but need to do quite a bit of Green Stuff work now. All those Ultramarine symbols need to become gems or something.

I vow to do this GS work by the end of the vow. Pedro will be ready to be painted, though probably not actually painted.

48932733446_b8a2cc9ab9_k.jpg

Further to this, I have a vast and growing pile of grey plastic. I'm not too sure what I'll build yet - the list of things I could make is long. But I’d like to get some stuff built. Here’s the list:

The shadowspear infiltrators, some unbuilt reivers and a box of infiltrator/incursors that I plan to buy. I’m converting the shadowspear guys to avoid duplicates. There seem to be 9 bolt gun things on the sprue and you get two sprues, so finally this is a chance to make my reivers into something vaguely useful.

The plan is to have 15 infiltrators and 10 incursors (5x5 man squads) plus a spare Helix adept and comms guy. I think this will leave me with one spare gun in the set, to potentially make something like a lieutenant – though I’ve already got the shadowspear one anyway.

An Invictor Warsuit – and maybe another one.

20 intercessors

The shadowspear eliminators (one of whom I’m converting so as not to have duplicates). And some of the new ones.

9 shadowspear suppressors. I intend to alter these somehow so I don’t have duplicates. I might only make 6 up as suppressors and keep 3 to make into stuff like smash captains or a jump chaplain.

Maybe and Impulsor or three. I’ll get at least one so I can use its shield dome on my Deredeo.

A shield dome for my Deredeo.

My pledge is to have at least three of these units constructed, including any GS work, and ready to be undercoated. A Unit means either a 5-man squad, 3-man squad or a single character/vehicle.

There won’t be much in the way or blue or red paint on these guys, but hopefully they’ll be ready for it.

Edited by Mandragola

Right.

I've finally been able to sit down and get all of the vows and such up-to-date. Welcome to all the new sisters and brothers who've posted their first vow since 22nd September! It's great to have you on-board. :tu:

Next, congratulations to all the Frater who have managed to complete vows in that time frame. As I scrolled through the last few pages, it was fantastic to see so much progress and so many great-looking models. :D

Last but not least, for those who have been chipping away at their vows, keep it up and be sure to post some progress pics for us to see what you're up to. :)

Now, back to getting more regular updates in!

All the best,

Dos

OMG I thought this needed to be done by the 31st. I have until the 11th! I was so worried I was going to fail this lol! Got super sick over the past week and a half. I have plenty of time to finish my test models now. :D

I, Thalidar, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and the Celestial Stormfists to complete

• 1x Primarus Captain
  • 2x Lieutenant's
  • 1x Intercessor (test scheme finish) 
  • 1x Sergeant Intercessor (test scheme finish)
  • 1x Ancient
  • 1x Rhino (test scheme finish)

For Dorn, Terra, and the Emperor!

EDIT: thanks to Geradas for assistance on how to upload this pictures. Much appreciated.

0Uhgqum.jpg

Thalidar

Vow Complete.

Command Team - Praxian IV Campaign for the Celestial storms/fists is complete! (Less decals as want more practice before applying them to the command team).

O6M8i7k.jpg?1

Left to right

Sgt Intercessor

Ancient

Captain

Lieutenant Serais le Bonais

Lieutenant

Intercessor with Fist Logo on.

Decaled Rhino at rear.

jqqfxha.jpg?1

7Z9lHuc.jpg

Lot's of first's here - inc' My first ever head I've ever done (see Lt Serais le Bonais below), as well as 2 power swords.

6gH4WV9.jpg?1

For Dorn!

Edited by Thalidar

Think I'm comfortable calling my first vow done. Still need transfers, but I don't have any spare Fire Support markings and it's currently 2300 anyway. I also borrowed a better camera this time since my phone camera still doesn't work.

It occurs to me that I definitely have time to do another vow, provided I don't try something less certain like a squad of Intercessors. I also need to bite the bullet and start on the armored elements of my Primaris stuff. I usually haven't liked doing vehicles much, but the less intricate detailing means I think I can churn one out more quickly than an infantry squad and thus ensure success.

I, Hellebras, request the Chapter Armory provide my strike force with a Repulsor grav-tank resplendent in the colors of the Chapter, armed with a las-talon, twin lascannon, and a plethora of lighter arms, with which I may smite the foe's pitiful armored columns. It must be fully consecrated, decorated, and equipped by the 11th of November, 2019, else I will bring dishonor to myself and the Chapter. Walls fall, Fists do not.

Really nice job. Just in time for the new codex :smile.:

So throwing my 2nd vow in:

A converted Phobos Lieutenant which I am going to play as a Storm Shield Captain.

1031077_sm-Black%20Templars%2C%20Champio

Absolutely love this conversion! So dynamic and cool looking! The pose and the helmet combo makes him look angry even with the helmet on!

Consider this idea "stolen" :). I found that helmet on conversionworld.de and I just put in the order to make a sgt/praetor/consul with that pose.

Vow 2 complete.

This means my current goal of a ten squad fighting company is complete. Fancy pictures will follow tomorrow over in the Black Templars subforum, but for now, here's a crumby phone shot.

yfYUK0E.jpg

Being reminded that there's a bit over a week left for this event, I figure I might as well vow this guy, Intercessor sergeant with hand flamer and powerfist. Not decided on what head yet. Hope to up take my time with this guy and up my painting game just a little. Hopefully I'll still make it :wink:

med_gallery_65134_15160_64748.jpg

And yes, i did buy a salamander kit just to get some of these bits :tongue.:

Decided to put up a WIP picture, since I just finished the yellow on my second vow. I'm not really happy with my results, I'd forgotten how much of a pain big flat surfaces can be when doing Fists. But it definitely holds up at tabletop level, and I'm enough of a perfectionist that I sometimes need to tell myself that something's good enough and trying to make it better might just make things worse. And the lessons I re-learned will make my next vehicle better, so at least that's a win.

gallery_85913_15938_651048.jpg

Being reminded that there's a bit over a week left for this event, I figure I might as well vow this guy, Intercessor sergeant with hand flamer and powerfist. Not decided on what head yet. Hope to up take my time with this guy and up my painting game just a little. Hopefully I'll still make it.

Almost like you're copying my intercessor sergeant in the post above :P

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make it in time for the vow and it'll look awesome.

EDIT: Suffer not the typo, purge the misspelling

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

Not sure if I managed to up my painting game or not, but I'm pretty pleased with him all the same.

gallery_65134_15160_168215.jpg

Paints seems to have chipped a fair bit on his left foot, as well as one of his knuckle skulls. Think it came about when i rather roughhandledly added the purity seal after having started painting. Should be easily fixed in any case.

Almost like you're copying my intercessor sergeant in the post above :tongue.:

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make it in time for the vow and it'll look awesome.

I'd like to claim having had the idea independently :wink:

I do really like your guy though, also the way you've lined everybody up appelas to me. :wink:

There's certainly worse sources for inspiration out there, you can be proud of your guys.

Edited by Reinhard

Not sure if I managed to up my painting game or not, but I'm pretty pleased with him all the same.

There's certainly worse sources for inspiration out there, you can be proud of your guys.

I'd say he looks even more polished than your usual standards.

And thank you, praise from you is high praise indeed - your Crusade has been a major force of inspiration for my Fighting Company.

Had to re-prime my models. The contrast I used was used incorrectly. The shading wasn't really necessary as well. Just waiting for the boys to dry and I'll be giving them another go. :biggrin.:

I think something is wrong with my Iyanden contrast paint. So I'm trying with the later paint instead.

Test with Iyanden Yellow:

med_gallery_69175_15801_463769.jpg

Going to test with Dorn Yellow on the second model after dinner. I ended up re-priming both with Wraith Bone.

I ended up going with Flash Gits Yellow on the second model:

med_gallery_69175_15801_1067853.jpg

So as every month goes by I am starting to realize that painting miniatures is going to be very difficult for me lol! It is kind of depressing. I used to be able to paint pretty good twenty years ago before I knew how to do all sorts of painting techniques. Well. These are not going to look pretty but I'll be starting the weapons, belts and flesh tomorrow and should have some horribly painted marines all done up by tomorrow night lol! Good luck everyone!

Edited by Aothaine

Vow complete! And a bit!

So my vow was basically to get a load of grey (and some blue) plastic into the shape of actual space marines, including some building, converting and Green Stuff.

Sorry the following pictures aren’t great. It’s not really worth it with unpainted models. I’ve tried to show what I’ve done.

So here’s Pedro. He probably doesn’t look that different to the top of the page but I’ve fixed some stuff. I used the handle from a haywire mine and some GS to make it look like he’s holding Dorn’s Arrow, and fix where the magazines meet the guns. I also filled the gaps in his arm pits and the ultramarine symbols on his cloak and skirt thing. He’s now ready for his undercoat.

49048396776_2e0129d337_k.jpg

Then I built a whole load of other guys. I pledged 3 complete units built and I’ve managed 6, which I’m pleased with.

First up, here are 2x5 infiltrators, plus spare helix adept and comms guy. These are mainly the guys out of Shadowspear, but I’ve done some arm swaps and things to avoid duplicates. One of the sergeants is made from a Reiver, because I needed a second one.

49047702388_c00c766105_k.jpg

I used spare bits from the infiltrator kit (which I haven’t really built yet) to make 5 Incursors. I used 3 easy to build reivers and a couple of other reiver bodies for these. It required a bit of chopping to get the pocket things off their right legs, to be replaced with knives, and some filling around the weird backpack thing and to replace the occasional strap etc.

I dislike mohawk haircuts for Sons of Dorn, so I’ve removed them from the infiltrator sergeant here (adding more hair) and my standing easy-to-build eliminator (who I’ve left bald). I might sculpt a beanie hat onto the sniper, but haven’t yet done it.

I’m quite pleased with how they’ve come out, especially the sergeant, who I think will look good when painted. For him I actually just cut the Reiver knife down to the size of an incursor knife, meaning he’s actually almost all made from the original kit. Those easy to build reivers have been in my bits box for ages (spare after I wanted the intercessors from first strike – I forget why!) so it’s cool to have made them into a decent unit.

49048418892_3ba510e833_k.jpg

Slightly oddly, there’s no bolt gun in the infiltrator kit that’s held just in the right hand. It’s not hard to do a swap of course, but it’s a bit odd. There are at least three left-handed ones per pair of sprues. Other than that, it’s a great kit to work with, with loads of arm options. The bodies might be a little samey though, with nobody running about or anything. I actually slightly prefer the posing of the intercessors, hellblasters and reivers. I wonder if they were designed by someone else.

Next up, I’ve got 2x3 Eliminators. These are the guys out of shadowspear and a multipart kit, built straight out of the box. The Shadowspear ones have had a bit more work done – especially as I used a reiver body to make one of the kneeling ones stand up. I’ve used GS to fix the back of his cloak, and to fill in the fairly noticeable lines that run down all their cloaks where the pieces join together. The multi-part guys cll have one-piece cloaks, so this isn’t an issue for them.

49048205191_3ab2db58cb_k.jpg

And finally, a suppressor squad. As with the eliminators these are the basic three guys from shadowspear, with one modified to avoid duplicates. I’ve used an intercessor body with the suppressor’s original leg on one side and the top half of the intercessor’s leg on the other. This probably sounds like a waste of intercessors but I have a few guys where I had tried making bionic legs, and wasn’t very happy with the results. They’ve now got whole legs again, thanks to the bits left over from this job.

49048418947_1ebd1e0ac4_k.jpg

Also, I bought myself a stalker at blood and glory last weekend. I’ve built that, including magnetising the guns. I haven’t stuck on the “turret” bit yet because I might want it to be interchangeable with a hunter. Annoyingly, I have discovered that there’s one piece shared between the two kits (an aerial). I’ve glued this to the Stalker, which probably doesn’t need it, meaning I can’t use it on the hunter turret. Not a huge issue, as stalkers seem infinitely better for Crimson Fists. No picture I’m afraid, so you’ll just have to take my word for it. This thing was never part of my vow anyway, and isn’t really all that interesting either.

Actually, let's see how it looks with a couple of Primaris guys, to see if the scale looks ridiculous.

49050857128_7a6a330528_k.jpg

Not too ridiculous, I think.

This has dramatically cut down my grey plastic pile, which I’m pleased with. I’ve still got the infiltrator squad, two impulsors and two storm hawks to build, but the shadowspear stuff has been hanging over me for ages so I’m pleased to have cracked it. I hate having duplicate guys but had been putting off the hard work of converting them. This does of course leave the slight issue of painting all this stuff, but that’s an issue for another day!

Edit: the suppressors picture didn't work earlier for some reason. Have added it now.

Edited by Mandragola

Wheew. So I did what I could over the weekend. Seems that me painting anything is almost impossible right now lol! So, I'm going to be saving up to get one of those old people magnifying glasses so I can see things. I'm not sure what else I'll be able to do. I'll keep trying to paint these guys up but it is starting to remind me of a kindergartner trying to color in the lines. It isn't working lol!

Hi folks,

I'll announce the official end to this event roughly 12 hours from now so those of you who want to finish their vows or even sneak in an extra vow can do so. :)

In any case, great to see the recent flurry of updates and completions. :tu:

Unfortunately didn't get to spend the time on this vow that I would have liked to. I blame my 2 year old Nurgling.

Still, ten Marines and a Lieutenant done to tabletop standard, I can add further highlights and transfers when I get the time. Vow complete brothers!

49051280173_61d55642d8_b.jpg

49051280403_d5af7460c8_b.jpg

49051788291_a750005352_b.jpg