Chapter Tactic Assignment!

Sete

I'm creating this thread with the objective of creating CT for chapters with community input using the list provided on codex Space Marines.

Bolter Fusilade: Reroll 1s to hit for Bolt weapons.

Born Heroes: Characters can HI 6"

Duellists: Melee attacks vs Infantry/Bikers score auto wounds on 6s to hit (can't be combined with Whirlwind of Rage Tactic)

Fearsome Aspect: -1 Ld for enemy units within 3" of units with this tactic

Hungry For Battle: +1 to Advance and Charge rolls

Indomitable: Can only lose 1 model to Morale

Inheritors of the Primarch: Choose a First Founding Chapter Tactic instead of two Successor Tactics

Knowledge Is Power: Reroll one/both 1s when making Psychic/Deny tests

Long-range Marksmen: +3" to ranged weapons

Master Artisans: When Overwatching, shooting, or fighting, reroll a single hit and a single wound roll per unit, each time.

Preferred Enemy: Choose (Tyranids, Aeldari, Orks, Heretic Astartes, Necrons or T'au) - reroll melee to hit if you charge/get charged/intervene.

Rapid Assault: No penalty to Advance and shoot Assault weapons

Scions of the Forge: Damage table models have double wounds remaining for the row you use

Stalwart: Unmodified wounds of 1 and 2 auto fail against you

Stealthy: Get the benefit of cover against models more than 12" away

Stoic: +1 Ld

Tactical Withdrawal: Charge after Falling Back

Warded: 5+ FNP vs Mortal Wounds

Whirlwind of Rage: Unmodified 6 to hit with melee when you charge/get charged/intervene, get an extra hit (can't be combined with Duellists tactic)

What CT would you make for:

Scythes of the Emperor

Iron Snakes

Death Spectres

Red Talons

Black Dragons

Edited by Sete

<p>

Scythes of the Emperor

• Preferred Enemy (Tyranids)
  • Long Range Marksman

I would go for preferred enemy and indomitable.

Any reason for long range?

To be fair I dont know the chapter well so I ask out of curiosity. :)

<p>

Scythes of the Emperor

• Preferred Enemy (Tyranids)
  • Long Range Marksman

I would go for preferred enemy and indomitable.

Any reason for long range?

To be fair I dont know the chapter well so I ask out of curiosity. :smile.:

I did think Indomitable would be a good shout too, but was also then thinking about "correct" tactics to fight nids, which is shoot em before they get to you, so thought the shooty one would fit that better (think of it as them using kraken rounds?). Indomitable totally fits the fighting to the end type of thing.

I think:
Black Dragons
-tactical withdrawal
-whirlwind of rage

If these can be combined it could act as a swooping in action

If I may I’d like to add the Relictors and my thoughts.

Relictors
-preferred enemy chaos (fluffy but not practical, would swap for either below)
-knowledge is power (use of more librarians than normal)
-Master artisans (count it as them using recovered chaos weapons and relics throughout their force)

Edited by dogfender

I really like the list of tactics to choose from but I feel like indomitable should just be a rule for everybody lol.

I think for black dragons I would go with duelists over whirlwind mainly because I don't think their bone growths would be effective against vehicles. Tactical withdrawal fits nicely though.

If Raptors weren't required to take the RG CT

They aren't.

In the White Scars and Ultramarines supplements, there is some wording about using the relevant First Founding Chapter's Tactic if you use the Inheritors of the Primarch Successor Tactic. It is not required to take Inheritors of the Primarch as a Successor with a known Progenitor.

Good, because one of the video reviews I watched on Saturday said it was required. Don't remember which one of the like 4 or 5 videos I watched.

Still a Sisters player for now, but I started out BA back in the mid-90s, so Marines still have a place in my heart, and Reasonable Marines particularly appeal to me for some reason. :)

Good, because one of the video reviews I watched on Saturday said it was required. Don't remember which one of the like 4 or 5 videos I watched.

Yup, the wording is that if you use the IotP Tactic, you must use the relevant First Founding. So can't use White Scars or Iron Hands, but they aren't forced to use Raven Guard (unless you choose IotP).

I think in 5 man squads of Primaris Raptors are better off with Master Artisans and Sneaky. 3” inches for bolt rifle is meh and in 5 man squads your going to miss once maybe twice. Better to have that reroll on a would also. I’d reskin it as Special Ops :) For Sallies it would be about superior weapons. For Raptors it’s about superior training. My head canon mind you :)

also debating what the Emperors Warbringers would take.

I am thinking :

Long-range Marksmen: +3" to ranged weapons
Master Artisans: When Overwatching, shooting, or fighting, reroll a single hit and a single wound roll per unit, each time.

but not sure

you know, I usually use about a third of my points for repulsors, redemptors, or stormravens/talons.  I'm really debating using "stealthy" and "scions of the forge" and just really lean into it.  Just have the troops inside be aggressive objective holders as the repulsors move up, and the vehicles do all the work.

Edit: are there any chapters actually known for doing mechanised assaults?  I know the salamanders have a thing for forging weapons and the Iron hands have a thing for dreadnoughts specifically, but is there a chapter with a big emphasis on metal boxes?

Edited by durdle-durdle

Mentor Legion

I think Master Artisans for their top spec kit, but what to represent their excellent situational awareness? Ideally a 5+ overwatch, but that's not on offer. Perhaps Stoic (+1 Ld) or Stalwart (wounds fail on 1 or 2).

Right now I am looking at Long Range Marksman, and Rapid Assault, using Ultramarines successor rules, ( even if fluff wise they are a different Successor).

This combine incredible 27” range assault 3 assault bolt Rifles backed up by Aggressors shooting twice with a 26” threat range!

Edited by CCE1981

Since we are on the subject of various chapters:

Minotaurs

Whirlwind of Rage: Unmodified 6 to hit with melee when you charge/get charged/intervene, get an extra hit (can't be combined with Duellists tactic)

Hungry For Battle: +1 to Advance and Charge rolls

I'm torn for my Marines Errant. None of them really jump out for a Chapter that specializes in drop pod and boarding assaults. I might just stick with Inheritors, as boring as that is.

Long range marksmen works on flamers as well, which is a perfect room clearing or drop pod assault weapon. Could that maybe fit?