Time to Reassess? SW's to get an FAQ Soon; Maybe Supplement?

Hello all, yeah, another Karack says, "It's time to reassess again, maybe?"

I am thinking with the changes we've seen, and it looks like we either get a PDF or maybe even a book, supplement but we'll know soon enough.

Yes, we don't get the range of stuff we saw GW slip up and presented at first. Maybe we'll get something nice and they actually let us soon get to use Dreadnoughts babycarrier slung under the backs of Stormravens! A player can dream.

So, here's the thinking in progress idea of the thread:

How, if at all, are the changes to the army we all love and play showing you ways to proceed?

Think tank time!

I'm starting to think that BC's will be more heavily favored than current. GH's and their solid gunline will be a need, but I hypothesize a tie between the two NorMarines units. Intercessors and their lack of squad wide CCW's is going to hurt them, in the long run. That typed, a good IC's pack in the back to hold the rear objectives or otherwise provide light fire support or with Assault Bolters a decent gunline to support a press charge could prove key.

In the various sections:

HQ:

- Primaris LT's and WL's should prove quite interesting

Elites:

- Dreads seem to be getting some atteintion, possible rework?

- Wulfen we need to see on, TH's will be a deciding factor soon here

- Wolf Scouts need some love; I hope they get it, we shall see

Troops:

- GH's should still be solid, but not auto choice

- BC's look way stronger, but I'm not sure about auto choice move to them. I think we might need both BC's and GH's from now on, instead!

- IC's are strong, and their flaw is CCW's, their lack of them hurts. Still, great back field or AB's press pack

Three or Four Troops choices per a 2,000 point game means 3 or 4 picks of the above list. 2/1/1 or 1/2/1 Might work, but, how?

Fast Attack:

- SkyClaws could truly shine, they and ...

- SwiftClaws also getting +1 A on the charge from Angels of Death (AoD) is going to hurt!

- TWC might be either really, REALLY Bad, or actually become closer to decent, that +1 A might help, but also, might not

Heavy Support:

- Long Fangs seem to be getting a much needed CC boost

Primaris:

- I'm not much fully up to speed on the Primaris stuff, but still, with the way things seem to be progressing, while the SM line is going Primaris overall and kinda more quickly than I'd like, at least for now, the options are slowly increasing thus far.

Anyone with a better Primaris understanding, or a better grasp of the army and how it benefits from these new options would help!

Wolf Priests may be a must take

I read some chaplain litanies and they are awesome.  One of them is extra 2" on advance and charge for a unit within 6"

Combine that with healing balms and you have one heck of a buffing support character in a single package

Wolf Priests may be a must take

I read some chaplain litanies and they are awesome.  One of them is extra 2" on advance and charge for a unit within 6"

Combine that with healing balms and you have one heck of a buffing support character in a single package

Should we expect a possible points increase? It sure doesn't seem likely, but the Killfest, BC's to taste and size with WGPL and WP in either a LRC or Stormwolf sure seems solid.

Lukas needs to go down 12-14 pts.

- at the moment hes too expensive, yes hes a force multiplier but he needs to be cheaper.

also a pts drop is needed for stormwolf/fang. especially the fang.

Edited by Triszin

It wouldn't surprise me if healing balms is one of our litanies.

On the primaris front aggressors got a nice boost and with our ability to outflank them should be really impactful. Auto bolt rifles picked up an extra shot so I think squads of Intercessors with them with and sarges with ccw may be good. Eliminators look strong as well.

Definitely time to reassess... Saturday, lol. I'm reluctant to think to hard on it til I have a pdf update in hand. But I do agree it looks like blood claws should be coming into their own. Maybe even where 3 squads of 9 to 10 depending on ICs will be good in rhinos cheap and spread targets seems beneficial. That coupled with a second battalion of intercessors to hold the back field might be good.

Skyclaws definitely worth another look now, though their equivalent didnt get a point drop, and the nice quirk they have is they can take TWO special weapons (flamers cough cough) instead of their pistols not their chainswords like regular Blood Claws

If our Scout Bikes are brought in line price wise with codex equivalent they look good too. 69 points for a unit of 3 giving 18 s4 shots and 10 s4 cc attacks and a potential 7 inch turn one charge? Thatll feth up most screens

Edited by Dark Shepherd

Skyclaws definitely worth another look now, though their equivalent didnt get a point drop, and the nice quirk they have is they can take TWO special weapons (flamers cough cough) instead of their pistols not their chainswords like regular Blood Claws

If our Scout Bikes are brought in line price wise with codex equivalent they look good too. 69 points for a unit of 3 giving 18 s4 shots and 10 s4 cc attacks and a potential 7 inch turn one charge? Thatll feth up most screens

Dont forget that for 2 points you can give them a storm bolter on the Sergeant for an extra 4 shots...

Dont forget that for 2 points you can give them a storm bolter on the Sergeant for an extra 4 shots...

For scout bikers? Or Skyclaws? For the latter you can do that on the Wolf Guard leader

Wolf Scout biker sergeant can replace his BOLT PISTOL with a plasma pistol, power sword, or POWER AXE

Hm.

Fair.

Close thread, if needed? Sorry; I guess wishful thinking is wishful.

I mean, we did change a little.

shock assault helped bloodclaws, wulfen and Twolves,  along with drop pod changes.

I could see podding in bloodclaws to be a thing again

Hm.

Fair.

Close thread, if needed? Sorry; I guess wishful thinking is wishful.

I mean, we did change a little.

shock assault helped bloodclaws, wulfen and Twolves,  along with drop pod changes.

I could see podding in bloodclaws to be a thing again

Any thoughts on BC's with WGPL and WP in either an LRC or Stormwolf?

Too bad we still have to take a reduced pack size of we want to load those claws into a transport.

EDIT: What i wouldn't give for a rule allowing us (or anyone else that needs it to take more than one transport for a large sizes unit.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Too bad we still have to take a reduced pack size of we want to load those claws into a transport.

EDIT: What i wouldn't give for a rule allowing us (or anyone else that needs it to take more than one transport for a large sizes unit.

Your best options are either send them in a LR Crusader/Storm Wolf or you spend a CP and send them on the hunt

Troops:

- BC's look way stronger, but I'm not sure about auto choice move to them. I think we might need both BC's and GH's from now on, instead!

- IC's are strong, and their flaw is CCW's, their lack of them hurts. Still, great back field or AB's press pack

GH can only take chainswords and 2 power weapons. pack leader can take chainsword or power axe/sword/fist, while the wolf guard can take anything. GH can only make 2 attacks per unit, excluding the pack leader that can make 3 if he takes a chainsword.

so thats 18 S4 attacks, 2 power axe/sword/fist, and 2 any melee weapon.

Intercessors can make 2 attacks each, however the pack leader can only take a chainsword or power fist/sword/hammer.

so thats 18 S4 attacks, and 3 power fist/sword/hammer.

overall thats only missing 1 power weapons attack (2 if you take a claw). as for the variety most people already only take fist/sword/hammer so i don't think the intercessors are really missing much in melee.

Troops:

GH can only take chainswords and 2 power weapons. pack leader can take chainsword or power axe/sword/fist, while the wolf guard can take anything. GH can only make 2 attacks per unit, excluding the pack leader that can make 3 if he takes a chainsword.

Intercessors can make 2 attacks each, however the pack leader can only take a chainsword or power fist/sword/hammer.

overall thats only missing 1 power weapons attack (2 if you take a claw). as for the variety most people already only take fist/sword/hammer so i don't think the intercessors are really missing much in melee.

Well I'm wrong.

Huh; certainly worth remembering from now on.

I typically give the IC's a CSw on the ICPL, and a PF on the GHPL, with CSw/SS on the WGPL.

Troops:

Well I'm wrong.

Huh; certainly worth remembering from now on.

I typically give the IC's a CSw on the ICPL, and a PF on the GHPL, with CSw/SS on the WGPL.

It's just something I've noticed a trend of. I think it's because they aren't modeled with chainsword or proper melee weapons, we naturally assume they aren't good in melee, forgetting that primaris have a base of 2 attacks. Now if we got some proper "grey intercessors" they would be an auto take on every list.

With the new rules even Reivers are looking nice. 31atracks, 41 on charge with S5 AP1. That pretty much taking out a squad of IG or putting a huge dent into a pack of Boyz.

Could leadership reduction be a way to go for wolves now? Lukas with two reiver packs and a reiver battle leader for example?

I've thought on it, but I think there's a lot of tools to ignore ld now days.

Reivers+Lukas+howl of the great pack+krom+phobos powers = -1 to hit and like -(4 to 8 )ld which is crazy