Thoughts on Furies?

dreadmad

So, with the the release of the new Furies through Warcry I thought Furies might be worth another look.

At 160pts for a unit of 20, with a 4++ (Mark of Tzeench) - I feel they could be a good screening unit for aggressive Daemon Princes, although I'd probably want to run 2 units to provide adequate protection. For 2CP you get a 3++ with Warpsurge too.

Is that enough to make them useful? The list I'd be running them in is a Horde list with Characters relying on screening to stay safe and no big targets for the opponents AT weaponry.

Also, are there any ways to buff them to make them more useful? (Especially more survivable). The only thing that leaps out is the Changeling, but he's far too slow to keep up with a forward screening unit.

You can hit 'em with miasma of pestilence if they're Nurgle daemons and you've got a psyker but honestly there have got to be better targets for such a useful power. Better off your way as Tzeentch daemons.

As for the unit itself, it seems cheap enough to move around and harass stuff. Depending on the models, could end up being a nice (summonable, for what it's worth) mobile screen. Can probably do well protecting a daemon prince, given the movement stat and fly keyword. At least for Khornate units, high movement is pretty much limited to the greater daemons.

And FWIW I think these could make badass Khornate furies. Call them "bloodgheists" if you will.

99120207066_BladegheistRevenants01.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

I have a bunch of the old metal furies (the new plastics are so much better) and really haven't given them much thought.  That said, my daemons are mono-slaanesh, so they've bot a lot of competition in the "fast but flimsy" slot - but really, I should take the effort to compare them to seekers and hellflayers to see if they are worth painting up. 

I don't think Furies are particularly good for their points, however the new models are awesome (though fit more in as CSM allies visually imo) so I'm probably going to play a unit anyway. ^^

I don't think Furies are particularly good for their points, however the new models are awesome (though fit more in as CSM allies visually imo) so I'm probably going to play a unit anyway. ^^

Always a valid choice!

Yeah, it hurts a little you pay a point premium to get that 12" move - and don't get any special buffs (e.g. Troops Daemons at 20+ models). That said, I feel it fills a specific niche in my list that makes it worth the value. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to bulk buy the models so I might not get chance to playtest it any time soon!

Nurgle and Tzeentch are really the way to go with these guys. Against D1 weapons, the Nurgle Furies are more survivable. 5++ with 5+ FNP/DR means 4/9 wounds will stick to them which is just under the 3/6 that will stick against a 4++. If you are using them to shield a Daemon Prince, you might as well use the powers from the Prince to buff them, in my opinion. That said, Marshlands is right, more small units is better than fewer larger units since it prevents Morale from being a total destroyer.

In a slaaneshi demon list, even though the slaaneshi trait is pretty bad, I still think they may have a role - they kind of sit between seekers and daemonettes.

In comparison to daemonettes, they are pretty lack luster - 2 more points for + 1 S, a 12" move, a slightly worse melee attack, no bonus for large units and 1 worse WS and Ld.

In comparison to seekers, however the look better, while seekers have the same benefits as daemonettes, as well as steed attacks and 2 W, they are only 2" faster than furies and cost more than twice as much.  So, furies might work in a mono-slaanesh list as a replacement for seekers - especially against armies with lots of D2 or more weapons.

This may more be a case of seekers being bad than furies being good.  I hope not - I just painted a unit of seekers, so I hope they aren't relegated to the shelf...

I would have said in the past that Slaaneshi Furies were the worst of the lot, but they might work well with some new units. Running a a bunch with the Epitome to lock things into combat could work well. 12" move + adv & charge for an average move from all sources of 22".

Good point.  One of the problems with using the epitome to try to crash flyers comes from there being very little in a slaanesh daemon army that can fly (basically just daemon princes).  Having furies that can do that as well increases the odds that you might be able to pull it off.

As for tieing up ground units, furies might be better than the other options (seekers, chariots) but that's more likely due to the weakness of those units rather than furies being strong.  Still... an advantage is an advantage, even if going from poor to mediocre.

Good point. One of the problems with using the epitome to try to crash flyers comes from there being very little in a slaanesh daemon army that can fly (basically just daemon princes). Having furies that can do that as well increases the odds that you might be able to pull it off.

As for tieing up ground units, furies might be better than the other options (seekers, chariots) but that's more likely due to the weakness of those units rather than furies being strong. Still... an advantage is an advantage, even if going from poor to mediocre.

I've done this with skarbrand, furies are better than DPs for the job not just because of being more expendable but because against things like a hemlock a charging DP might get murdered on the overwatch

Although I haven't tried the epitome trick (just finished painting it and have yet to field it) my experience with daemon princes charging fliers matches yours - I think I've done so successfully once.  Additionally, with a bit of shooting first, should I make and survive the charge with a daemon prince, he should be able to kill the flier in melee.

That said, if the opponent sees the epitome trick coming (which they will after I've done it once - I basically only game with a couple of friends) I don't see ever doing it again - if the opponent goes first, its pretty easy for them to delete the furies and if I go first I won't be able to reach the fliers either because of range or because they are behind other units.

Still, its probably worth the effort to paint up a squad, if no other reason that to add some diversity to the aesthetics of my daemonette army.

Well, if they delete your furies turn 1, that's threat misdirection so they tie something up either way. I know it's a dirty word, but, summoning another unit is an option.

I did mean that they could lock more than just fliers in combat, but the flyer tricknis an option. Even if they do become aware of the trick, they will have to avoid the threat range, meaning their movement becomes severely limited.