Mark II armour

There's a few of us (forever optimistic in our outlook) who think there will be some kind of starter set/boxed game coming at some point. 30k is, after all, the only game that GW make that doesn't have an entry-level box set of some kind. Given that, as the good Marshal has mentioned, MkII was unceremoniously dumped without a plastic kit to replace it last year, it would make sense for a new box to include a new kit to drive sales at some point.

However, as the good Marshal also mentioned, they probably need to finish the factory and increase capacity before that happens. As a result of this we may well see all of the Heresy kits, or at least the best selling generic kits (Deimos Rhinos/Predators, Spartans, Basic Sicarans) go to plastic kits as well. But that's just part of the forever optimistic outlook. :rolleyes:

I would love a Mark II Horus Heresy box. I shudder to think of what the price would be though, and what the contents could even be aside from the Mark II armoured marines.

Because Betrayal at Calth had:

• 30 Mark IV Marines
  • 5 Cataphractii Terminators
  • Cataphractii Praetor
  • Mark IV Chaplain (Plasma Pistol)
  • (Very Derpy) Contemptor Dreadnought (Assault Cannon and Multi-Melta)

And Burning of Prospero had:

• 30 Mark III Marines
  • Geigor and Ahriman (who haven't seen a singular release since then....)
  • 5 Tartaros Terminators
  • 5 Custodes
  • 5 Sisters of Silence

I'm honestly unsure what they could release, in plastic, in a 30k box set for Mark II Marines.

Easy. Mk II Tacticals & Deimos Rhino/Predator vs. Mk II Assault Squad & Outrider Bikes/Jetbikes. Add characters to taste.

Or it's something like a Get Started box with some of the previous releases.

That would be so good. It just feels to me like it might never come. The other two starters came out two years in a row, and with the heresy novels moving into the last few books (and the black books nearing completion) I’ve got a horrible feeling it might never happen ☹️ Not that that would stop me doing more 30k, I’d just need some 3rd party bits for my mkII armour!

I would love a Mark II Horus Heresy box. I shudder to think of what the price would be though, and what the contents could even be aside from the Mark II armoured marines.

• 30 Mark IV Marines
  • Cataphractii Praetor

• 30 Mark III Marines
  • 5 Tartaros Terminators
  • 5 Custodes
  • 5 Sisters of Silence

I'm honestly unsure what they could release, in plastic, in a 30k box set for Mark II Marines.

Plastic Assault Marines in MkII...

I think the new White Scars land speeder is a good indicator we'll see the return of MkII at some point. The crew of the speeder are both clad in MkII armor. 

• 30 Mark IV Marines
  • Cataphractii Praetor

• 30 Mark III Marines
  • 5 Tartaros Terminators
  • 5 Custodes
  • 5 Sisters of Silence

Plastic Assault Marines in MkII...

I think the new White Scars land speeder is a good indicator we'll see the return of MkII at some point. The crew of the speeder are both clad in MkII armor.

Their PA Praetor is also in Mark II as well.

Mark 2 is the only armor mark of the main three heresy marks without a plastic kit. As they expand Heresy production to be the third mainline game system of GW they’ll probably put out a box.

I also hold this opinion, although I am starting to doubt whether it will come to fruition. GW seem intent on continuing the HH range, they recently advertised for a new black book writer and in their financial reports they state that 30k is one of heir main line products. It does seem a convenient way to keep all/most of the customer base happy. LoTR has recently received a starter box, and 30k, if it is going to survive, needs a easier entry point to the game.

I do wonder whether FW catalogue decisions reflect GWs intentions. I remember when the phalanx warder set came out, combined with the resin marines that you needed to convert them you were looking at close to £100 for a ten man squad. They were also one of the first legion specific units to be released as an upgrade kit. Now that design decision made much more sense following the release of plastic mk4 a few months later. Hence my speculation, the removal of resin Mk2 and the release of legion units in mk2 could be a sign of a plastic kit in the future.

Although, the lack of recent HH news has me doubting the theory!

Cadmus

I think once the new factory comes out you’ll see a Starter Box on par with Pelennor Fields, Soul Wars, and Dark Imperium, complete with the revamped AoD rulebook. The thing that has me hung up is they like to do two different silhouettes with their starter boxes which would only come from Marines vs. Mechanicum or Auxiliaries.

Do we have any actual rumors of substance saying that Mark II will ever come back? It’s by far my favorite look but I’m just not confident enough to hold my breath.

On the boxset/starter set topic, I’d love a Mark II Marine vs Solar Auxilia boxset.

A Heresy starter box would be a dream - I am looking at getting back into it but might wait and see if we get a starter. I need the rulebook, both the red books and I guess Book 8 for the new consuls :( 

Mk. II and Production Mk. V power armour. However, my hopes for further plastic Heresy have been dampened by the arrival of Primaris and the fact that it has been about three years since BoP.

Edit: Apologies, I posted this to the wrong topic.

Edited by Suspira Mortis

For what is worth, there are some decent alternatives for MkII bits:

- Kromlech has some segmented legs for marines that I think would pass as MkII, both for infantry and bikers. It also has some helmets that, while not being really close to MkII, give off a very nice heresy vibe and would not look out of place.

- The arms from the old Chaos Space marines box are basically MkII, it would be a matter of removing some spikes.

- As for the torso, I do not have any bit in mind right now, but the back half of the plastic MkIII kit is basically the same it would be on MkIIm if you're up to thr challenge, I gues it would be possible to sculpt a MkII front armour or modify it from a MkIII.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Elzender

Hi guys, thanks for the tips, I’ll take a look at kromlech!

Here you go brother:

https://bitsofwar.com/home/61-space-legionary-running-legs.html

That’s a link to one of the sets of legs that they do. Most sets come in standing, kneeling & running versions :)

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

• 2 weeks later...