I am back, 8 years away... Space Wolves WIP

So i have been away for about 8 years. A friend invited me for a demo game of 8th Edition. I decided that i enjoyed the new rules. I dug out my old box marked with the label "Space Wolves" and decided it was time to paint them, after 8 years in storage.

I did buy a few new kits, plastic venerable dreads, and Wulfen. But the ones i have been painting for the last week and a half are the ones i bought back when they were first released. 

I used to spend weeks on single models, this time i dicided to go the Army painter way, primer, base colors and "wash", not dip. so far i am pleased with the results. There are plenty of details left to paint, including highlights. The reason to my choosing this aproach is that i don't want to play with unpainted figures, and if i spend weeks on them, i will never finish painting them, thus never playing.

Here is the progress so far...progress_week1.jpg

Edited by Brissebrajan

Another picture of my Greyhunters, my "test" squad... Now i am not trying hard with these, my aim is to get everything battle ready, so that they look okey when they are on the table, from a say 40 cm away. They are not going to win any awards. When every thing is painted, i will go back and touch up, correcting my mistakes and so on... but for now this is more or less how they will end up, and well every single one will get the sand/desert basing.

beg1.png

Edited by Brissebrajan

Thank to all of you. I think they are older than that, released around 2009? I bought them to replace my old metal space wolves, and at the same time i bought my Blood Angel army, ended up spending all my spare time painting red, ending with me losing interest in both of my SM armies.

Edited by Brissebrajan

On my schedule for yesterday, was the assembly of another squad of Grey hunters, but i lacked the energi, instead i started painting up a "character" i have been working on.

rb_conv_1.jpg

rb_conv_2.jpg

rb_conv_3.jpg

Edited by Brissebrajan

Good job. Is that a young Ragnar Blackmane?

Yes  it is, i have the old metal figure, but i just don't like his static pose. My plan was to do some more pelts, to mimic the original figure more, but my greenstuff was to dry, so that didn't work out. 

There will be some more kitbashing done on him later, holster grenade and ammo dispensers etc =)

Edited by Brissebrajan

Love the Old School Vibe I am getting, I myself luckily had some of those old Plastic Bits left. Especially those Torsos came in Handy for more Variation. But I regret having used up all those Faces over a Decade ago on another Marine Army. Some of those have great Character like the one you used on young Ragnar. Looking forward to more, looks great so far.

PS: Loving that Old Metal Bjorn, thought about getting one for Nostalgia...but I just can`t deal with a big hunk of Pewter anymore :sweat: .

Love the Old School Vibe I am getting, I myself luckily had some of those old Plastic Bits left. Especially those Torsos came in Handy for more Variation. But I regret having used up all those Faces over a Decade ago on another Marine Army. Some of those have great Character like the one you used on young Ragnar. Looking forward to more, looks great so far.

PS: Loving that Old Metal Bjorn, thought about getting one for Nostalgia...but I just can`t deal with a big hunk of Pewter anymore :sweat: .

"Sadly" old metal Bjorn have been demoted to a Venerable Dread now, i have the new plastic one though, i have cleaned and trimmed the moldlines, time to prime him soon.=) I love the plastic kits, amazing details and options. =)

Edited by Brissebrajan

Update. I got tired from the speed/batch painting, and spent time painting up my Ragnar, also decided to paint Logan. I started painting logan way back (metal, not failcast) but never got around to finish it.

ragnar_done.jpg

ragnar_done2.jpg

logan_done.jpg

Edited by Brissebrajan

Update: So the plan was to finish painting my last 10 plastic Grey Hunters, but i got stuck painting up some other stuff. The theme of the week "dogs and bears"...

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895816/fwolves1.jpg

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895816/dogs.jpg

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895816/twolves1.jpg

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895816/thunder.jpg

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895816/bjorn.jpg

Update 2: So first of i am not painting and building an army with the aim of playing tournaments, its all about friendly "competetive" games for fun with my friends. I am not part of a gaming club or anything like that. 

Second my army will be "old school" space marines, and by that i mean no primaris. 

So my backlog is comprised of the following. 

* Bjorn the fell handed

* Murdefang

* Ulrick

* Custom Krom 

* 5 Wulfen (don't really know how to kit them, so advice please)

* 10 plastic grey hunters

* 10 Old school metal grey hunters

* 10 Old chool metal blood claws

* A few Wolf guard terminators to finish, some painted way back

* Lots of Long fangs, both plastic conversions and old school metal long fands.

* Land Raider, panted back in 2005 (the old paint job have not aged well)

* Drop pod

* 2 Rhino, Razor back / "Predator conversions" (lots of magnets)

Most of these are primed using Army Painter Wolf grey, Wulfen will be primed white.

Tips, trix and banter are welcome =)

Edited by Brissebrajan

• 6 months later...

You're a skilled painter. I hope to see Bjorn the Fell-handed and the Thunderwolf Cavalry completed soon.

Hi again, back again i guess, Bjorn and the Thunderwolfes are done, and photos will be up soon. I have not had much time to paint, moved to a new apartement etc, but now i am at it again. Most of my space wolf army is painted up a table top standard, some above that. Will post new photos soon. 

I did however get a bit carried away, and bought more figures, inkluding a stormwolf (currently assembly and awaiting primer) and a few characters (ulrik and krom) and more thunderwolves. I wan't a custom wolf lord on a thunderwolf.

Yes, the old metal Bjorn is just too heavy, destroys the foam inlay in my figure case, but i still wan't him around even if i don't use him. I have all of the old metal characters, except that i can't find my old Ulrik.

So i have been playing around with contrast paints, i have mixed feelings about them. Smaller areas of armour using Space wolves grey is okey, but i found it best to apply one very thin coat, and to then add a thicker second coat. For skin on my Wulfen, it worked better on larger areas, than smaller ones like heads. Let me know what you think.

Wulfen - Contrast painting

Wulfen 2 - Contrast painting