"Sleeper" rules/abilities from the UM Supplement

L30n1d4s

As I have reviewed the new Space Marine book overall and the UM Supplement specifically, I think there are a couple "sleeper" items that are not getting a lot of attention right now, but are actually pretty amazing for competitive play.

Here are some of the ones I have seen so far:

---

1) "Seal of Oath" Relic -- Available as one of the Special Issue Wargear items (so can be taken by UMs or successors at no cost), this is basically the Ultramarine version of "Old Grudges" Warlord Trait from the AM Codex. At the start of the first battle round, but before the first turn, select an enemy unit. For the rest of the game, any friendly UM units within 6" of the bearer of the "Seal of Oath" can re-roll all to Hit and all to Wound rolls for the rest of the battle. So, basically, this allows you to replicate the old version of Guilliman against a single, selected enemy target, but with the flexibility of being able to take it on any generic UM/Successor character, since it is a Relic that does not replace a specific weapon/piece of Wargear.

Combined with the new-found lethality of Space Marines in general and Ultramarines in particular, thanks to the new Codex/Supplement and all the Doctrines, Stratagems, WL Traits, and sundry new rules found in them, I think this will be a "don't leave home without it" relic for me anytime I play UM or their successors. The ability to pick a key enemy unit, like an Imperial Knight, Magnus/Mortarian, a maxed out Mob of Lootas, Biker Seer Council, Custodes Vertus Praetors, Necron Destroyers, a Tau Riptide, buffed up Bullgryn squads, massed DE Talos Pain Engines, Hive Tyrants with all the upgrades, etc. etc. and re-roll all to Hits/all to Wounds against it is SO powerful.

Personally, I think I will be combining this with another "sleeper" unit for the Ultramarines (or for all Marines, for that matter), the good old 7th edition stand-by of Grav Cannon/Hurricane Bolter Centurions, who have gone down in price (Grav Cannons are cheaper), are now 4W/3A base per model, and benefit significantly from the new Angels of Death and Combat Doctrines rules, as well as from the new Stratagems that can increase their durability (i.e. ignoring all 1s, 2s, and 3s to Wound them, for example) and Chaplain Litanies that can increase their offensive output (i.e. making them +1 to Hit for all shooting).

---

2) Chaplain Cassius -- Rarely if ever used in competitive gaming in the past, now that Litanies are a thing and exceptionally useful, I think he has a entirely new lease on life. First of all, he has solid stats (including a sneaky upgrade to his Crozius to make him better in combat than he was in the past), is quite reasonably point-costed compared to a "vanilla" Chaplain, can ride in any of the numerous legacy Marine transports, and he fills a mandatory HQ choice for one of your detachments.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, unlike normal Chaplains, he has access to the Litany granting re-rolls to Hit in combat and TWO other Litanies of his choice (normal Chaplains only get to pick one additional Litany). Finally, if I am reading his rules correctly, he also gets to try and cast TWO Litanies a turn, as opposed to the normal one Litany per turn for regular Chaplains. Basically, for a very bargain points cost, you are getting two Chaplains for the price of one, along with some useful extra rules, stats, and Wargear thrown in on top... quite a bargain I think!

I see myself running him either with the Devastator Centurions mentioned above (along with an Apothecary to heal them and carry the "Seal of Oath" relic), so he can give them both the +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound abilities potentially on the same turn, or I see him riding in with some Sternguard on a Drop Pod turn 1, then powering them on Turn 2+ as they tear up the enemy back field with their shooting.

---

3) Guilliman, Vanguard Veterans, and Character Support using a Storm Eagle Gunship -- You can set up Guilliman, a JP Chaplain, and a JP Librarian next to the Storm Eagle Gunship, which is filled with 9 JP Vanguard Veterans (all with TH/SS) and a Chapter Ancient (with the Ultramarine Relic Banner that gives all friendly UM units within 6" +1A), 

Turn 1, you activate the +"2 to charge aura on the Chaplain (Litanies), disembark the Vanguard 3", and move up another 12". Simultaneously, you move and advance Guilliman, the JP Librarian, and the JP Chaplain as far up as they can go, all while disembarking the Ancient 3", move him 6", and Advance him another D6 +1" (thanks to Guilliman's aura). Finally, you cast Veil of Time on the Vanguard and also use the UM Stratagem to give them Assault Doctrine "out of sequence" (so AP-4 on their THs). Taken all together, this means your Vanguard have to make a re-rollable 7" charge (given enemy forces deployed the standard 24" away).

If you get the charge off, these Veterans each get 4 attacks on the charge, all at S8 AP-4, re-rolling all to Hits and 1s to Wound. That averages out to 33 attacks (let's assume you have to "trail" one of the Vanguard back from the pack to keep everyone within the Auras for Guilliman and the Banner) and  24-25 hits. Against an Imperial Knight, that averages 14-15 wounds and, at AP-4, makes for about 42 unsaved Wounds.

Alternately, against something like Magus with his 3++ activated, the Vanguard deal an average of 24-25 hits, 19-20 wounds, 6-7 failed armor saves, and about 19 Unsaved Wounds. Finally, against a unit of Vertus Praetors, that is 24-25 hits, 19-20 wounds, 9-10 unsaved wounds, and about 5 dead Bikes (or about 450 points worth of models removed from the table top).

---

I am sure there are lots of other Ultramarine units, rules, abilities, etc. out there that most people have not discovered yet, especially since we have still don't have the books released out to the general public yet.

Anyone else discover some "sleeper" tactics for UMs based on the rules and abilities they have gotten in the new Codex and Supplement?

Edited by L30n1d4s

I think some unsung heroes choices for Ultramarines will be the following (in no particular order):

1) Lascannon/Missile Launcher 5 man Tactical squads. Cheap and very dangerous with the Tactical Doctrine.

The Lascannon option is only 85pts (according to leaks? Even at 90pts it's a steal) and it nets you a supporting Lascannon troops choice. Also a fine candidate for the Ultramarines Strategum that enables you to hit automatically. (Once the Codex comes out I'll be able to name these things more consistently)

The Missile Launcher option is cheaper still and will get a large benefit from the Devastator Doctrine, shooting either frag or krak.

2) Whirlwinds. The Devastator Doctrine is very generous to this unit and with a Strategum that you can fire twice will mean you can put a lot of damage on targets with very little points investment. Choice of missiles armament is a deliciously difficult choice.

Do we go for an AP-2 D2 weapon or an average 14 shot S6 AP-1 weapon? Very effective for little points.

3) Predators.

Seems outdated but the Predator Autocannon is amazing. 2D3 S7, AP-2 shots under the Devastator Doctrine will be very effective considering the 3 damage of each shot! Heavy Bolter sponsons will amplify the damage output since AP-2 is so effective.

4) It's not really a sleeper unit no one will expect but Centurions will be amazing now. Extra wounds are great and both the Devastator Doctrine and Tactical Doctrine will help these big boys out. I'm leaning on Heavy Bolters for the additional range but the Grav weapons will be very powerful, of course.

Assault Centurions will be scary too. A lot of firepower and jumping out of a Crusader under the Tactical Doctrine will erase just about anything short of a Knight in a turn, which you can then charge and beat to death anyway!

5) Again I don't think the unit is sneaking past people, but Devastators will be powerful. You don't have to go for Grav weapons from a Drop Pod (why not though!), as much of their weapons become very powerful under the Devastator Doctrine. Missile Launchers become Lascannons against everything T7 or less, get frag missiles at AP-1 and end up cheaper!

6) Last thing I think people won't expect will be Land Speeders. Typhoons with Heavy Bolters are very powerful again and look to be cheaper than ever before. Alongside Centurions, opponents will have a difficult choice of targets. I want a pair for my army!

And after the first turn fire we can benefit as Ultramarines under the Tactical Doctrine to move and still retain decent firepower.

I don't think you can call anything "sleeper" when talking about a publication that 99% of people don't have access to. YouTube video reviews help, but they are limiting because reviewers often (annoyingly) skip huge parts, meaning you need to look at the text which is often blurry and unclear.

The one that I'm liking at the moment that is going largely ignored is Reaver's Terror Troops stacking to -3. I mentioned it in the main N&R thread but nobody seemed to care. They were more interested in complaining about the release schedule, the fools :p. I'm especially interested in combining it with Telepathic Assault to take a chunk out of something. It's not quite GSC Mental Onslaught levels of insane, but I'm still excited to have a non-Smite damaging power that's worth using.

I'm pretty sure Seal of Oath is the best relic in either Codex, as a lot of armies have something big and scary in it. It's for a whole unit, unlike the single model these rules usually end up being. 

Going to stick it on a LT or a Chaplain who's hanging out with the big guns.

I don't think you can call anything "sleeper" when talking about a publication that 99% of people don't have access to. YouTube video reviews help, but they are limiting because reviewers often (annoyingly) skip huge parts, meaning you need to look at the text which is often blurry and unclear.

The one that I'm liking at the moment that is going largely ignored is Reaver's Terror Troops stacking to -3. I mentioned it in the main N&R thread but nobody seemed to care. They were more interested in complaining about the release schedule, the fools :p. I'm especially interested in combining it with Telepathic Assault to take a chunk out of something. It's not quite GSC Mental Onslaught levels of insane, but I'm still excited to have a non-Smite damaging power that's worth using.

I saw you mention the Reivers, and I really wanted to comment, but the discussion, like a rogue wave, pulled me away.

I think that definitely makes Reivers terror troops tactic way more effective. Especially since 2 5 man squads and a Reiver Lt. in support would be pretty cool.

Master crafted weapons on sergeants for 1 cp via the honoured sergeant stratagem.

Want a 4 attack damage 4 thunder hammer on your veteran intercessor or vanguard vet sarge? Damage 3 on an Intercessor Sergeant's stalker rifle? Swap to tactical doctrine and double tap on the move with your Aggressor sergeant's Damage 2 ap-1 autoboltstorm gauntlets!?!

Master crafted weapons on sergeants for 1 cp via the honoured sergeant stratagem.

Want a 4 attack damage 4 thunder hammer on your veteran intercessor or vanguard vet sarge? Damage 3 on an Intercessor Sergeant's stalker rifle? Swap to tactical doctrine and double tap on the move with your Aggressor sergeant's Damage 2 ap-1 autoboltstorm gauntlets!?!

Or you could pump out 12 AP-1 D2 shots from Chronus' Master-Crafted hurricane bolters during Tactical Doctrine and save yourself 1CP :smile.:.

I saw you mention the Reivers, and I really wanted to comment, but the discussion, like a rogue wave, pulled me away.

I think that definitely makes Reivers terror troops tactic way more effective. Especially since 2 5 man squads and a Reiver Lt. in support would be pretty cool.

I think the tricky part is getting them all into 3" of the target. If an opponent has seen the trick before they'll be aiming to cut down the Reavers asap. Though that in itself gives you a cheap distraction. Could also add in a second (Phobos) Librarian to manifest Hallucination for another mortal wound and a -1 to hit if the target survives. Then if you really want to go all in, use the stratagem to give yourself a second warlord trait and put Angel of Death (can't remember it's new name) on the Phobos Lt.

Edited by Toxichobbit

Or you could pump out 12 AP-1 D2 shots from Chronus' Master-Crafted hurricane bolters during Tactical Doctrine and save yourself 1CP :smile.:.

Bear in mind that Chronus' vehicle would only have one Master Crafted Hurricane Bolter - the Relic applies to a single weapon, and it then is considered to be a Relic and so cannot be applied again.

Edit: although it looks like you realise that. So never mind :teehee:

Edited by Kallas

Bear in mind that Chronus' vehicle would only have one Master Crafted Hurricane Bolter - the Relic applies to a single weapon, and it then is considered to be a Relic and so cannot be applied again.

That's why 12 shots and not 24.

Yeah, I realise now that you got that nuance :thumbsup:

Oh god, this supplement has so many great things in it.

I wish I had every unit in the codex (quite close! :yes: ) painted (unfortunately not :huh.: ) to try everything out as soon as possible.

Me too. But alas, we'll be on 20th edition before I even get close. For now I'll settle for a painted army.

Some great ideas in here.

The one thing I want to just make sure about is Litanies. Some people are talking about strategies that start with the Chaplain in a vehicle, or drop pod etc. Now I don't know the wording for Litanies for Space Marines but I know for Chaos is a 'beginning' turn (Battleround) thing, meaning the units have to be on the table obviously before the Litany is attempted. 

Also if it's like the Chaos variant it's on a 3+ unless they purchase these little dudes. I can say I stopped using the Dark Apostle variant. It's costly, and it's not something you want to waste Command points trying to get off. Purchasing the "Acolytes" for the Dark Apostle adds not only another 10 points but another fairly easy squad kill for your opponent. I'm not too sold on the Litanies yet, until I fully understand their function in this codex.

As far as Centurions, I don't think the grav drop has changed anything for me. I will still use one Grav, and two x 2 Lacannons. I was hoping actually the  "two lascannons" would go down from 50 to 40 points. But I'll take the wound addition for sure. I've used Assault Cents a lot since they got reduced way back, but honestly I found if you play largely Primaris, the Dev Cents carry a lot more weight.  

Since (to my dismay) the Repulsors have shot up, I'm considering dropping them. I don't think a 90 point hike to my base list was warranted to be honest. I will probably go back reinserting the Landraider for Centurions. (I'm done with walking Cents up the table.) 

I think for a lot of people Hellblaster have been a big thing, and they will be helped some what by the Impulsor but I still find they just work so much better for Dark Angels, I can't seem to convince myself to take them. It's going to be hard to pull the Repulsor(s) out of my lists. I really had quite  a run with them. :smile.:

Edited by Prot

Bear in mind that Chronus' vehicle would only have one Master Crafted Hurricane Bolter - the Relic applies to a single weapon, and it then is considered to be a Relic and so cannot be applied again.

That's why 12 shots and not 24.

I literally just realised you were talking about Chronus since he's a character!

By the Emperor can he have a Relic like that? After all, he can't have the Armour Indomintus from previous editions, can he?

If he can... well a Crusader with Mastercrafted Assault Cannon is fearsome. Or does it have to be a bolt weapon?

This weekend can't come quick enough!

Edited by Captain Idaho

I'm pretty sure Chronus can't have a relic since he's a named character. 

You're absolutely right. I keep forgetting special issue wargear is just relics with a different name (and wider access for non-characters/successor Chapters).

Some great ideas in here.

The one thing I want to just make sure about is Litanies. Some people are talking about strategies that start with the Chaplain in a vehicle, or drop pod etc. Now I don't know the wording for Litanies for Space Marines but I know for Chaos is a 'beginning' turn (Battleround) thing, meaning the units have to be on the table obviously before the Litany is attempted. 

Also if it's like the Chaos variant it's on a 3+ unless they purchase these little dudes. I can say I stopped using the Dark Apostle variant. It's costly, and it's not something you want to waste Command points trying to get off. Purchasing the "Acolytes" for the Dark Apostle adds not only another 10 points but another fairly easy squad kill for your opponent. I'm not too sold on the Litanies yet, until I fully understand their function in this codex.

As far as Centurions, I don't think the grav drop has changed anything for me. I will still use one Grav, and two x 2 Lacannons. I was hoping actually the  "two lascannons" would go down from 50 to 40 points. But I'll take the wound addition for sure. I've used Assault Cents a lot since they got reduced way back, but honestly I found if you play largely Primaris, the Dev Cents carry a lot more weight.  

Since (to my dismay) the Repulsors have shot up, I'm considering dropping them. I don't think a 90 point hike to my base list was warranted to be honest. I will probably go back reinserting the Landraider for Centurions. (I'm done with walking Cents up the table.) 

I think for a lot of people Hellblaster have been a big thing, and they will be helped some what by the Impulsor but I still find they just work so much better for Dark Angels, I can't seem to convince myself to take them. It's going to be hard to pull the Repulsor(s) out of my lists. I really had quite  a run with them. :smile.:

Assault Centurions can be as cheap as 42 points a model (siege drills, assault launchers, flamers) and that's at +1 W and (I think) +1 A.

Litanies do work the same as Dark Apostle Prayers. So you pick the one you want to use at the start of the batte round and it works on a 3+. If you roll a 1 or 2, you're Chaplain isn't inspirational enough.

I think Assault Squads might actually be decent now. They've gained Shock Assault and potentially Assault Doctrine and for 1CP can do a Mortal Wound on a 5+ when they charge. I think I'm going to give a 10 man unit a go and see if it's enough to give them a place.

I think pure assault units like the Assault Squad are still going to be REALLY hard to get a lot of return on. It's just there's so many other things that are more capable and give you a little more punch. Even my experiment games with Reivers have been pleasantly surprising. I think Impulsors give you that sense of speed you need from Primaris.

I personally like bikes better... just because they shoot better, and with chainswords, you're still getting a decent amount of attacks. I tried them last night and they were fast unit with a large footprint which makes them easier to keep in aura range at T5 with 2 wounds. I'd recommend just trying them as your objective / harrassment unit to try for fun.

I think pure assault units like the Assault Squad are still going to be REALLY hard to get a lot of return on. It's just there's so many other things that are more capable and give you a little more punch. Even my experiment games with Reivers have been pleasantly surprising. I think Impulsors give you that sense of speed you need from Primaris.

I personally like bikes better... just because they shoot better, and with chainswords, you're still getting a decent amount of attacks. I tried them last night and they were fast unit with a large footprint which makes them easier to keep in aura range at T5 with 2 wounds. I'd recommend just trying them as your objective / harrassment unit to try for fun.

Are you aware of the Skilled Riders stratagem? 2CP, 4+ Invulnerable for a bike or land speeder unit. 3+ if the unit advanced.

Even if Chronos could have relics it wouldn't be on his vehicle profile since he's a guy who just adds keywords to the vehicle he jumps inside. If you want a super tank you have to settle for master-crafting one of the godhammer las on a landraider excelsior.

Oh yeah thank goodness.

In that case Hurricane Bolters on a Centurion Sergeant is the best choice.

Boltstorm gauntlets would work in both shooting and melee so that puts them even with the extra 6" on the hurricane bolter.

Its the stratagem that makes all three having grav worth it.

Cassius seems crazy good now, give him both shooting prayers and he’s a chaplain that pays 5 points for an extra T, a master crafted Bolter, the Flamer has part of a Combi Flamer and I don’t remember if his crozius is MC too... in addition to his other special rule.

Are you aware of the Skilled Riders stratagem? 2CP, 4+ Invulnerable for a bike or land speeder unit. 3+ if the unit advanced.

I am now. Lol

Funny thing is I remember when the points dropped on land speeders and I tried them out a lot and I remember my biggest frustration was moving and shooting with the penalty for my speeders never made sense. So if I understand Scions of Guilliman correctly, guess who’s pulling out his speeders again? Sleeper unit? I don’t know but I think my favourite load out might get have went down in cost as well.