Gryph-Hound Orange - Not very orange?

So I picked this paint up. I was dubious when it turned out redder-than-red in the palette, but figured maybe it takes on orange properties later.

Nope, slapped straight on it came out somewhere between Blood Angels Red and Flesh Tearers Red. 

Mixing in a 1:1 of Iyalden Yellow, it still retained mostly red properties.

Mixing in a 2:1 of Iyalden Yellow it came out a perfect orange.

Did I get a bad batch or has this been anyone else's experience? I see pictures around of people just slapping it on and turning out pretty much how my mix with yellow did?

Edited by Lord Marshal

So this is gonna sound really, really stupid, and possibly patronizing. But....

Did you shake the pot up?

And by shake I meant "until there's absolutely no sediment in the bottom that's a different colour than the rest of the liquid".

Because Contrast Paints have a tendency to separate.

A. Lot.

That and I've been told, by a GW employee no less, that Gryph-Hound Orange is honestly more of a brownish orange than a traditional orange... orange. :lol:

Edited by Gederas

I've found this gallery to be a pretty good guide of what to expect from Contrast.

Assuming there's not a big chunk of whitish pigment stuck to the bottom of the pot (which does definitely darken the final tone if not mixed back in, had it with several contrast pots), then it sounds like a mislabelled or otherwise bad batch. It is a reddish orange, but not darker red than BA red! My pot of wyldwood was like treacle, but added medium helped in that case. A new paint line with high demand will have an inevitable few screwups, you should be able to get a replacement.

I've found this gallery to be a pretty good guide of what to expect from Contrast.

Assuming there's not a big chunk of whitish pigment stuck to the bottom of the pot (which does definitely darken the final tone if not mixed back in, had it with several contrast pots), then it sounds like a mislabelled or otherwise bad batch. It is a reddish orange, but not darker red than BA red! My pot of wyldwood was like treacle, but added medium helped in that case. A new paint line with high demand will have an inevitable few screwups, you should be able to get a replacement.

That image had some post processing but I can vouch for the reds and blues.  Gray is a nice color for darkening metals, I use a 5/2 mix of gray/medium.

That image had some post processing but I can vouch for the reds and blues.  Gray is a nice color for darkening metals, I use a 5/2 mix of gray/medium.

White Balancing isn't necessarily post processing, normal practice is to do it when you set the camera up before taking any photographs.

Oh it's totally fine, I imagine it was done in that picture because they're separate shots and you want it to look as if all of the bases were shot in one moment together. It's meant to make each picture consistent among one another but colors look different in different lighting.  My gold armor I've been painting comes out looking like tan leather in some lighting :huh.:

In that shot the orange looks like a pretty traditional orange, they certainly make it look orangey orange on the website.  If I get an old rust color I'm taking the bottles back. 

Edited by Fajita Fan

In my experience you have to spread contrast out pretty thin to get the color it's supposed to be.

Hazdreg Yellow looks like Mournfang Brown if you lay it on too thick.

My Gryph-Hound Orange is the same way. It's a nice orange, but if it's too thick it becomes a nasty brown.