Incursors For Ultra's

Prot

So this looks like it might be a new staple troop perhaps.

I'm assuming they can infiltrate and it looks like they come in at 19 points?  Does anyone know if they have any special rules or what their little trip mine trick costs? Or how it is deployed?

I'm assuming they can infiltrate [...] Does anyone know if they have any special rules or what their little trip mine trick costs? Or how it is deployed?

Yup, they have Concealed Positions on their Datasheet.

Special Rules:

• Combat Squads and Angels of Death; we know what they do
  • Multi-spectrum Array: they ignore hit penalties and BS modifiers when shooting; so they hit Culexus Assassins on a 3+!
  • Smoke Grenades: whole unit can give up shooting once per battle to get -1 to shoot them until the start of your next Shooting phase
  • Haywire Mine: can have 1 per unit; [Edit: 10pts, as Toxichobbit kindly pointed out!], but it is used "In your Movement phase [...] at any point during that model's movement" - deploy it within 1" of the model and more than 3" from enemy models, and more than 6" from any other deployed Haywire Mines; if an enemy unit moves within 3" (doesn't have to end its move within 3") then on a 2+ they suffer d3 Mortal Wounds (+1 MW if they're a vehicle) then it's removed. Doesn't count as a model for any rules purposes (same as a Terminator Teleport Homer).
  • Their gun is a Bolter that ignores cover
  • They have "paired combat knives" which give them an additional hit on an unmodified 6 to hit

• They cost 19pts base; Occulus Bolt Carbine is 0pts; Haywire Mine is 10pts
Edited by Kallas

I actually think these guys are excellent. The mine is pretty cool, but not what I like best.

The BS that ignores modifiers means they are great at dealing with units that have negative modifier, be it Assassins or some pesky daemons.

By the time you put a camo cloak on a Scout the price isn't that great, these guys are looking more attractive.

Honestly Incursors are the better Infiltrators in my book. Unless the 12" deny zone is crucial to you or you really want the Helix Adept there's no reason to not take the Incursors instead.

I'm tempted by multiple five man units, if only so I can one day mine the central objective in a game and make a knight regret its life choices. It's unlikely to ever work but it will be funny when it does.

Anybody looking to challenge that objective will need to eat the mines one way or another, whenever it's a Knight or something else.

Dropping all your mines down on the objective while playing something like the relic would be cruel.  Honestly, the mines sound great for area denial or just dropping on objectives to deter MSU troops from getting close to them.  As a bonus, since incursors are toops (correct me if I am wrong) you can use them to fill out a detachment for some extra command points too!

Yup da jump is another biggie. Some armies (even Custodes) have some deep striking shenanigans... even your marine opponents may try a Drop pod deployment denial strategy. That’s pretty much a dead idea with Infiltrators.

These incursors intrigue me because you still can push back a deepstrike, and in theory, it could be on top of the mines. 1+D3 against vehicles I think. How close does your opponent have to be to trigger them? Do flyers trigger them?

The reason I ask is I’m always looking for ways to limit Deldar air show which is fairly popular here. If I can use infantry to steer flyers over mines.... anyway there’s a few interesting uses I like against very aggressive armies that won’t be able to avoid them... even bash brothers is always going to sling Mortarion into close wombat no matter what so you can predict assault lines against these types of aggressive armies, then pull out your ‘Tau’ card and combine overwatch. There is some potential there.

Edited by Prot

I look at the mine and it reminds me of the hunter-killer missile. One is a waste of points and will rarely if ever be worth. Ten however is well worth it. One of these mines I highly doubt will affect the game too much. Taking six units of Incursors to drop 6 mines might be a significant threat, but then the tax you have to pay with all those squads, will that be worth it?

These incursors intrigue me because you still can push back a deepstrike, and in theory, it could be on top of the mines. 1+D3 against vehicles I think. How close does your opponent have to be to trigger them? Do flyers trigger them?

It's 3" to trigger them. I think Fliers can't trigger them, but I'd need to re-watch one of the reviews to check. I could well be wrong on that.

Mortarion into close wombat

It's like a band name. Mortarion and the Marsupials.

Would the mine count count as part of the 9inch measure for deepstrike etc or can it be ignored for the purposes of enemies measuring 9 inches.

Pretty sure it's like the teleport homer (so not classed as a model for any rule). 

Would the mine count count as part of the 9inch measure for deepstrike etc or can it be ignored for the purposes of enemies measuring 9 inches.

I did put it in my list that it isn't considered a model! So no, it wouldn't block deep strike.