Unit of the Week: Sternguard Veteran Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Sternguard Veteran Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use some Sternguard?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog, or transport?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Edited by Jolemai
Updated

As a player who values narrative over efficiency I would like to hear what you guys think would be a proper representation of a Blood Angels Sternguard squad? What wargear? Deployed by Droppod or Stormraven? Alone or with support? etc

Anything you want really. There's no unfluffy way to use Sternguards. Though if you want to make the somewhat unique on the board compared to Devastators etc, apart from the colour scheme, you should stick to the Special Issue Boltguns.

With the reemergence of drop pods, Sternguard are likely to become much more useful. Their special boltguns are also allegedly dropping to zero points, making Stormbolters questionable in terms of an efficient upgrade choice. The option for heavy weapons is really neat as well, but I'm not certain if there's an obvious winner.

If special issue boltguns go to 0, that makes each sternguard what, 2 pts less?

That's pretty nice.

Makes the choice between them actually matter a little, as previously the stormbolter was just better except against 2+ saves.

Sternguard in a pod, using marksmenship, might be good for cracking 1W infantry with decent saves.

Like discount plasma that doesn't need rerolls.

Assuming marksmanship isn't one of those strats that are gone now.

But if your deploying them walking, I think intercessors are better.

Same price, lose 1 pt of AP, but gain a 2nd wound.

Company vets or hellblasters carry specials better.

Still thinking that Stormbolters in a Pod are a good way to go. Dropping 40 S4 shots on Turn 1 can clear chaff screens for Captain Smash while also providing a nearby unit for him to buff and give him some shelter against enemy shooting.

I would be tempted to land them 9-12" from the enemy, preferably on a flank (in cover would be perfect if you can manage it :wink: ). They clear chaff on T1 and then from T2 onwards they can (hopefully) hold their ground in order to take advantage of Bolter Discipline which will extend the range of those 40 shots out to 24".

Screens are still a bit factor and being able to clear them is an important ability. However it the above combo is over 250 points and I am not sure how it compares to Scout bikers for chaff clearing. 7 Scout bikers get similar firepower for 160 points with more wounds and T5.

Darn, I have just undermined my own strategy. :tongue.:

@Karhedron it’s just that scout bikes and bikes in general are superior this edition to a lot of other stuff. The special issue Boltguns are what makes Sternguard unique, so I’d say keep them for that purpose and mow down chaff with scout bikers/other high cadence weapons.

I really like the Marksmanship stratagem for Sternguard. Even moreso now that drop pods will be coming down turn one. I'd forego any real upgrades to ensure you get the most out of them.

Seems an excellent way to murder any screens, or problematic infantry.

Doing the math, you'll on average deal this many(ish) wounds to each type of infantry (assuming ten guys):

12 wounds T3 5+

10 wounds T3 4+

6 wounds to T4 3+

So nice to clear chaff. Also worth mentioning they can hurt things like Knights DECENTLY due to wounding on a 5+ and -2AP, certainly able to chip some wounds off.

Shock assault will only make them stronger, being able to charge with a lot of attacks too.