BL submission window opens on 26 August

DukeLeto69

With submissions limited to one per email (theoretically one per person, but we all know that some people will submit multiple stories using different emails for each), let's hope that BL will be able to trawl through all of the (fewer?) submissions in less than 8 months this time.

I'm following Richard Garton on Twitter and he recently said that there were close to 2K submissions in total.

That will take its time, I'd say. :smile.:

Wasn't it close to 4000 last time? If I remember right, last year's submissions lasted for two months too, rather than one (minus the lead-up announcement). That probably had knock-on as well. Edited by Lord Marshal

Did others get a "thanks for submitting" email? Looking through mine I've never gotten any sort of confirmation (not an accept/reject, just a "your submission has been received).

I'm surprised since it's tied to my Google ecosystem and their usually quite good with confirmations up the wazoo.

Did others get a "thanks for submitting" email? Looking through mine I've never gotten any sort of confirmation (not an accept/reject, just a "your submission has been received).

I'm surprised since it's tied to my Google ecosystem and their usually quite good with confirmations up the wazoo.

I've seen this asked a few times in years past. I've never known anyone get one before, so no I don't think they send submission confirmations. A couple of people have e-mailed to confirm they received it and they've had a 'yep' so I wouldn't worry.

Edited by Lord Marshal

• 2 months later...

Not me.

I submitted pretty much the minute submissions opened.

Mind you it was in the blood bowl category so they might be working through them by category or some way other than in the order they were received.

Edited by grailkeeper

Got binned as well. :teehee:

"Better luck next time."

They did say when I submitted that they would come back within 100 days, so two months isn't much...!

@ grailkeeper, I wouldn't bet on it, but having said that, I do mention I write here when I make applications.

If that helps or hinders I'm not sure...

MR.

Haven't received one yet.

Would be funny if they keep track, though.

Sure, they said 100 days but I was curious as they usually sent responses within these days, which happened right now, so nevermind. :P

I got an email saying they were stealing my (AMAZING) story to give it to another (TALENTLESS HACK OF A) writer.

Total scam, they're shameless.

I submitted zilch and regret it because I could have blown the story wide open! Thieving beggars writing good stories of their own devising, the nefarious fiends!

Got binned as well. :teehee:

"Better luck next time."

They did say when I submitted that they would come back within 100 days, so two months isn't much...!

@ grailkeeper, I wouldn't bet on it, but having said that, I do mention I write here when I make applications.

If that helps or hinders I'm not sure...

MR.

Yup same, got binned. Oh well. 

I got an email saying they were stealing my (AMAZING) story to give it to another (TALENTLESS HACK OF A) writer.

I submitted zilch and regret it because I could have blown the story wide open! Thieving beggars writing good stories of their own devising, the nefarious fiends!

Also part of the terms outright say they can "take" our work and give it to another writer. Kinda sucky, but yeah...

Edited by Shinros

Bruh, don't worry they will pay you with ExPOSuRe. :teehee:

Also part of the terms outright say they can "take" our work and give it to another writer. Kinda sucky, but yeah...

To be fair, them's the breaks when you're hired to work on an IP that isn't your own.  I have every expectation another of my irons in another fire will result in this, but I'm happy with it because:

Exposure is key.  

If you're approaching an agent or publisher with work, having a credit or mention in a published work in the area you are seeking to expand into is gold.

Does Black Library shortlist?  Because if they do, you can put that on query letters.

Don't be discouraged - anyone, keep submitting!

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

GW’s not going to steal anyone’s ideas. No one needs them. This has been discussed both here and by the writers before. Ask any writer and they’ll say they’ve got plenty of ideas. Talent lies in transforming those ideas into novels. Edited by cheywood

GW’s not going to steal anyone’s ideas. No one needs them. This has been discussed both here and by the writers before. Ask any writer and they’ll say they’ve got plenty of ideas. Talent lies in transforming those ideas into novels.

Then- why would they add a clause where they can take your work and give it to another writer then? 

GW’s not going to steal anyone’s ideas. No one needs them. This has been discussed both here and by the writers before. Ask any writer and they’ll say they’ve got plenty of ideas. Talent lies in transforming those ideas into novels.

Then- why would they add a clause where they can take your work and give it to another writer then? 

Probably to cover their asses against somebody who submitted a piece coming back years later and saying "hey my submission has lots of similarities with (x) work you just released". Not that it isn't conceivable they'd use an idea from a submission, but it's rather unlikely

https://mobile.twitter.com/parrotttd/status/1199106496140906501

That thread and the responses to it break down why writers don’t need to steal ideas more thoroughly than I can. I think the clause itself is for legal protection. BL’s not giving ideas out to other authors but on the off chance there’s a case of convergence they don’t want any legal trouble. If you have any examples of ideas actually being stolen en masse I’d happily reconsider, but as of now I think any notion of idea theft is conspiratorial.

"Hey Aaron, this goomba on a forum had a great idea and everyone knows you can't come up with ideas to save yourself. So how about it, will you write the story of how the Black Library of Chaos is stealing the ideas of feral world peasants to transform into a soul-stealing scheme to appease the dark gods? Of course you do, you don't have ideas of your own. Write the story."

And in case you can't tell: I was being sarcastic.

To be fair, them's the breaks when you're hired to work on an IP that isn't your own.  I have every expectation another of my irons in another fire will result in this, but I'm happy with it because:

Exposure is key.  

If you're approaching an agent or publisher with work, having a credit or mention in a published work in the area you are seeking to expand into is gold.

Does Black Library shortlist?  Because if they do, you can put that on query letters.

Don't be discouraged - anyone, keep submitting!

MR.

Agreed, back then I was still stuck at a wall when I submitted, all you can do is keep practising. Also the terms doesn't really bother me that much, as you said you're writing for someone else's IP, I have been training myself to read clauses and terms on the off chance I ever make it. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/parrotttd/status/1199106496140906501

That thread and the responses to it break down why writers don’t need to steal ideas more thoroughly than I can. I think the clause itself is for legal protection. BL’s not giving ideas out to other authors but on the off chance there’s a case of convergence they don’t want any legal trouble. If you have any examples of ideas actually being stolen en masse I’d happily reconsider, but as of now I think any notion of idea theft is conspiratorial.

Someone also asked, at the Weekender, if BL got a pitch but didn't think the pitcher had the ability to see it through then would they pass it on to someone else? And it was very categorically a no.