Tide Lists Inquiry

Aothaine

Has anyone tested running tide/horde lists? I was thinking something like 100+ Hormagaunts with a spattering of ranged Tyranid Warriors for synapse and helping with hard targets and maybe a few Wreck 'em Ralph Carnifexes?

I am only an armchair general tyrant, having only played a few games of KT with my nascent nids, but I would rather take neurothropes to lead my throng. Psychic powers = good and unlike warriors, they are untargetable. Untargetable synapse seems pretty important for keeping your piles of gaunts around.

Ork hordes are there to roam around and kill anything they touch.  Orks have a ton of attacks, and can mix melee weapons into their units.  A big ork mob can put out the sort of damage needed to deal with most things.

Tyranids on the other hand put their real firepower in the hands of the larger bugs.

Tyranid hordes are more about being a fast nuisance.  Running around quickly, surrounding enemies and locking them down.  You cannot rely on hormagaunts to kill anything, even in large numbers.  However they can tarpit units like little else.

A tyranid horde can do just fine.  Your game plan will involve racing up and locking down the enemy force as quickly as possible, while grabbing as many objectives as you can.  Then just trying to hold onto objectives and score points for as long as possible before they fight free of your gaunts.  Hopefully by that point the game is already over.

• 2 weeks later...

Ork hordes are there to roam around and kill anything they touch.  Orks have a ton of attacks, and can mix melee weapons into their units.  A big ork mob can put out the sort of damage needed to deal with most things.

Tyranids on the other hand put their real firepower in the hands of the larger bugs.

Tyranid hordes are more about being a fast nuisance.  Running around quickly, surrounding enemies and locking them down.  You cannot rely on hormagaunts to kill anything, even in large numbers.  However they can tarpit units like little else.

A tyranid horde can do just fine.  Your game plan will involve racing up and locking down the enemy force as quickly as possible, while grabbing as many objectives as you can.  Then just trying to hold onto objectives and score points for as long as possible before they fight free of your gaunts.  Hopefully by that point the game is already over.

Hmmm... so something to seriously consider then. 

3 units of 30 Hormagaunts and 3 units of 30 termagaunts w/ devourers. Not sure on the points cost of these units yet. I imagine it will be pretty expensive though. But you can take out one of the Termagaunt units and fill out the list with Neurothropes and Zoanthropes that are spread out and surrounded by the Termagaunts. 

Do you guys think 240 bodies would be enough to swamp the enemy down and let the Neurothropes and Zoanthropes smite the living bonkers out of them? Tyranids are not limited with smite right? It has been to long since I've even thought of having more than one psycher.

'Limited with smite?'
Unlike all other psyker powers, you can cast smite more than once (this is not limited to 'nids). The warp charge of smite goes up by one with each cast, starting with 5+, then 6+, ect. Tyranids do get a cool party trick called 'psychic scream' that acts a lot like smite but isn't smite. So if you really need to put on the mortal wound hurt, a neurothrope can cast both and wreak havoc.

Zoanthropes are tough but can be targeted- sometimes a good thing, if you want their 3++ to absorb damage.

Neurothropes cannot be targeted as long as they are surrounded by gribbly friends, and that makes them very strong. They can also heal themselves and other brainbugs nearby, which is handy. 

In terms of strategy, it seems solid. Gaunts are not very dangerous to anything other than guardsmen, but as long as they are within synapse, they will fearlessly bog down all sorts of things, and you can bring the pain with your psykers. Not GT winning, but better than using tyranid warriors or the big but lame maleceptors and their ilk.

Ahhh right! the +1 to smite rule. Suppose I don't need Zoanthropes then. Just a few Neurothropes (3+). Pretty sure Leviathan will be the best adaptation for this build. Getting a 6+ FNP roll on all these bugs is going to be real helpful in keeping them bulky.

This seems like it would be a faster version of the Plaguebearer spam strat. A little less resilient, but with some ranged support. Gonna have to think more on this.

This list won the CanCon tournament in Australia earlier this year. (note that it's from before the GSC codex, so that part of the list is outdated)

156 leviathan termagants, along with a malanthrope to give them -1 to be hit.

A pair of biovores to block movement of large nasties like knights.

A bit of melee threat from old one eye, the broodlord, and the genestealer cult.

Here is it being played vs 180 plaguebearers :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKOfUZNrTI

Faction: Tyranids/GSC
Army points: 1937pts
Army Powerlevel: 122
CP: 14
ARMY REINFORCEMENT POINTS: 60
Tyranid Battalion: (Leviathan) 954pts 67 power level (5CP)
HQ: Neurothrope 90 - claws and teeth
HQ: Malanthrope 140 - Warlord
TROOP:25x Termagants (100) - fleshborer, claws and teeth 9pl
TROOP:26x Termagants (104) - fleshborer, claws and teeth 9pl
TROOP:27x Termagants (108) - fleshborer, claws and teeth 9pl
HEAVY SUPPORT:2x biovores 100 -spore mine launchers 4pl

Tyranid Battalion: Kraken 414pts 24power level (5CP)
HQ:Old One Eye 200 (monstrous claws, monstrous talons, thresher scythe) 10pl
HQ:Broodlord 115 monstrous rending claws - Ymgarl factor 8pl
TROOP:3x rippers 33 claws and teeth-2pl
TROOP:3x rippers 33 claws and teeth -2pl

GSC Supreme command: (1CP) 569pts 31 powerlevel
HQ:Magus 73 force stave, autopistol -4pl
HQ:Patriarch 150 monstrous rending claws 7pl
HQ:Primus 76 blasting charges, bonesword, needle pistol, injector claw 4pl
ELITE:18x purestrain gene stealers 270 rending claws 16pl
Edited by Arson Fire

This list won the CanCon tournament in Australia earlier this year. (note that it's from before the GSC codex, so that part of the list is outdated)

156 leviathan termagants, along with a malanthrope to give them -1 to be hit.

A pair of biovores to block movement of large nasties like knights.

A bit of melee threat from old one eye, the broodlord, and the genestealer cult.

Here is it being played vs 180 plaguebearers :biggrin.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKOfUZNrTI

Faction: Tyranids/GSC

Army points: 1937pts

Army Powerlevel: 122

CP: 14

ARMY REINFORCEMENT POINTS: 60

Tyranid Battalion: (Leviathan) 954pts 67 power level (5CP)

HQ: Neurothrope 90 - claws and teeth

HQ: Malanthrope 140 - Warlord

HEAVY SUPPORT:2x biovores 100 -spore mine launchers 4pl

Tyranid Battalion: Kraken 414pts 24power level (5CP)

HQ:Old One Eye 200 (monstrous claws, monstrous talons, thresher scythe) 10pl

HQ:Broodlord 115 monstrous rending claws - Ymgarl factor 8pl

TROOP:3x rippers 33 claws and teeth -2pl

GSC Supreme command: (1CP) 569pts 31 powerlevel

HQ:Magus 73 force stave, autopistol -4pl

HQ:Patriarch 150 monstrous rending claws 7pl

HQ:Primus 76 blasting charges, bonesword, needle pistol, injector claw 4pl

ELITE:18x purestrain gene stealers 270 rending claws 16pl

I don't know how this list won anything since you cant mix Hive Fleets and you wont get any Bonus for not being battle forged.

I don't know how this list won anything since you cant mix Hive Fleets and you wont get any Bonus for not being battle forged.

Source on that restriction? I see people taking shooting Kronos detachments alongside different hive fleets all the time.

You can mix detachments....... only time they don’t get “bonuses” is if multiple hive fleets are in the same detachment. You could take a vanguard leviathan and patrol kraken.

You could take brigade imperial guard and supreme command blood angels. Etc.

In this instance kraken and leviathan being in the same battalion etc/

Yeah, I see a lot of people misread that rule.  For reference, it's the Battle Brothers rule in Chapter Approved 2018.

All of the units in each Detachment in your Battleforged army must have at least one Faction keyword in common. In addition, this keyword cannot be CHAOS, IMPERIUM, AELDARI,  YNNARI or TYRANIDS, unless the Detachment in question is a Fortification Network.
This has no effect on your Army Faction.

The critical word there is Detachment.
This is not saying that you can't ally a knight, or some guardsmen, with your marines.  Or take two hive fleets in the same tyranid list.
As brother_b said, it's merely saying that you can't have a detachment that contains units linked only by one of those keywords.

Battalion of marines + battalion of guard = fine
Battalion containing both marines + guard = not fine
Battalion of leviathan tyranids + vanguard of kraken = fine
Battalion containing both leviathan and kraken tyranids = not fine.
Edited by Arson Fire

Source on that restriction? I see people taking shooting Kronos detachments alongside different hive fleets all the time.

Ok you are right about the hive fleet, i jsut read it wrong, but yeah you have to be battle-forged.