White Scars: Loadouts for both Bike Squads & Land Speeders.

Rommel44

With the new Codex's and all the changes to Space Marines in general, I feel this is a good opportunity to revisit an old classic discussion/debate when it comes to our Fast Attack options and the old question: "How do you plan to equip you Bike Squads and Land Speeders? As for me, I am currently planning the following:

* Bike Squad:

-w/Sgt with PW/TH/PF, Bike w/Bolters

- 2x Plasma Guns, Bikes w/Bolters

- 5x Chainswords, Bikes w/Bolters

- Attack Bike w/Hvy. Bolter

Basically I want my Bikes to be able to capitalize on their CC potential while being able to dish out as many shots in the Shooting Phase before getting stuck in.

* Land Speeder Squadron:

-w/ 3x Multi-Melta, Hvy. Flamer

-or 3x Hvy. Bolter, Assault Cannon

-or 3x Hvy. Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher

Am torn on what loadout would be effective for the Land Speeders in 8th Edition and the new Codex, however these are the 3x variants that where the most popular/common in past editions and I could see each playing a role in your army.

* Attack Bike Squadron:

-w/3x Multi-Meltas, Bikes w/Bolters

This is really the only way I can see Attack Bike Squads being taken at this point. With the addition of the Devestator Doctrine and the Attack Bike in the standard Bike Squads having the Hvy. Bolters, these guys would make perfect Anti-Tank units that could utilize their potential Turn 1 and adding some much needed hitting power Turn 1 to best utilize the Devestator Doctrine.

That's how I see it but feel free to share your thoughts and opinions when it comes to these units. As well as how you plan to run yours mates

Edited by Rommel44

Nice to see some activity in this forum again :)

Im going to go with cheap bikerunits w chainswords as a tackleunit and let my vanguardveterans rip and tear. My scoutbikes will be there of course to clear chaff.

Regarding landspeeders i have 1 with dual multi-nekats and 2 with hvy bolter and missilelauncher. Because of the loadouts they will have different roles (mostly because right now i dont have the energy to try to get more landspeeder-weapons from eBay to change loadouts)

But my Army remains fast overall. Rhinos/Razorbacks/bikes/assaultsquads.

I just got into white scars and Im thinking of creating a 5th brotherhood loaded in razorbacks with air support, and a second company of all bike units with javelin support. I might also pick up the khan and a dark imperium set and create an all primaris 3rd brotherhood

My loadout will probably be Triple Melta in a squad for bikes. 6 man, Combi/melta/melta, attack bike Multi-Melta when applicable. turn 1 sling-shot them and try to nail anything of note that could cause huge problems later in the game. 

Given that we have incredible movement and we will be DROWNING in str 4 attacks/shooting (Intercessors, reivers, bike combis) I think that the Meltas to help confirm AT kills is imperative for our list designs. 

I can see our lists lacking tanks and instead being very infantry heavy, Dreads perhaps as well of course. (irks me that they retconned this.... but the FW Scars dreads look stellar so I can forgive) 

I'm definitely going with a unit of 8 all with Chainswords in every single game. Sergeant equipment is TBD, but likely a Chainsword as well.  I like how cheap it is for it's speed and hitting power, so I can use it either as a Turn 1 suicide charge/tie you up unit* that's annoying to remove, or can be held in reserve via the new Outflanking stratagem without feeling like I HAVE to bring it in Turn 2 because there are too many points tied up in it to leave it off the table for 2 full turns.  A full unit of 8, turning up Turn 3 when the Assault Doctrine is active could be devastating, particularly with the right support powers. (Ride the Wind (or Litany of Hate) & Fierce Rivalries + a CP re-roll is about as guaranteed of a charge out of Reserves as you're going to get) Maybe I need a second unit of 8 so I can do both.  Lots of flexibility for the cost.

And heck, even if I do NONE of those things with the Bikes, they are still going to be hell for things like Knights.  Oh hey, I advanced and charged you with Skilled Riders?  Cool, I have a 3++ now and can't be wounded except of 4+ (Transhuman Physiology) and and you can't Fall Back over my since I'm not INFANTRY.  

Beyond that, I'm going to test around with Triple Melta because I think that's going to be very good too, but I just need more Bike models.

*Ride the Wind + Storm Wreathed + Ride Hard, Ride Fast + Skilled Riders + Honor the Chapter and/or Strike to the Heart.  Is this a large investment?  Yes.  But it also is insanely powerful against some.  Beyond the Bike unit, you're looking at only 1 Librarian + 5CP for all of it, less if you don't need everything.  WEEP those Tau/Guard tears.

I'm definitely going with a unit of 8 all with Chainswords in every single game. Sergeant equipment is TBD, but likely a Chainsword as well. I like how cheap it is for it's speed and hitting power, so I can use it either as a Turn 1 suicide charge/tie you up unit* that's annoying to remove, or can be held in reserve via the new Outflanking stratagem without feeling like I HAVE to bring it in Turn 2 because there are too many points tied up in it to leave it off the table for 2 full turns. A full unit of 8, turning up Turn 3 when the Assault Doctrine is active could be devastating, particularly with the right support powers. (Ride the Wind (or Litany of Hate) & Fierce Rivalries + a CP re-roll is about as guaranteed of a charge out of Reserves as you're going to get) Maybe I need a second unit of 8 so I can do both. Lots of flexibility for the cost.

And heck, even if I do NONE of those things with the Bikes, they are still going to be hell for things like Knights. Oh hey, I advanced and charged you with Skilled Riders? Cool, I have a 3++ now and can't be wounded except of 4+ (Transhuman Physiology) and and you can't Fall Back over my since I'm not INFANTRY.

Beyond that, I'm going to test around with Triple Melta because I think that's going to be very good too, but I just need more Bike models.

*Ride the Wind + Storm Wreathed + Ride Hard, Ride Fast + Skilled Riders + Honor the Chapter and/or Strike to the Heart. Is this a large investment? Yes. But it also is insanely powerful against some. Beyond the Bike unit, you're looking at only 1 Librarian + 5CP for all of it, less if you don't need everything. WEEP those Tau/Guard tears.

Good viewpoint as the Triple Melta seems like the most solid option atm. Thoughts on Land Speeders?