New lore details from Codex: Space Marines

BitsHammer

Just some stuff I noticed while reading the less crunchy bits of the codex, but I encourage others to add their own:

Well, new to me at least:

+Vanguard units are basically the Primaris Scout units and new Primaris service as Vanguard as part of their training

+the boot plates on Inceptors absorb shock on landing and basically help launch them as they move

+MkX armour has a core on which everything else is bolted on based on mission role

+Heresy style legion units seems to be the intent with Priimaris as the codex mentions they harken back to their legion roots

+Aggressors are specifically marked out as excelling in tight areas lile trenches and city scales. This might include Space Hulks since the tight hallways don't leave room to hide from their bullets/flamers

+Redemptors can -sprint-

+Invictors pilots seem to be plugged into the suits much like a titan or knight pilot

+Razorbacks inspired the Repulsor Executioner (meaning the standard Repulsor is our Rhino? Does this make the Implusor a Land Speeder equiv?)

+The anti-grav tech in current use is all based on the STCs recovered by Land with Guilliman sactioning continued research on the tech for use in current warfare (this includes Redeemers and Impulsors)

+Vanguard units are basically the Primaris Scout units and new Primaris service as Vanguard as part of their training

Slight correction here. While there are 10 squads permanently assigned to the 10th company, it's also just a squad type Primaris in Battlecompanies can be assigned to depending on the mission. An Intercessors is also an Infiltrator. A Hellblaster is also a Eliminator is also an Aggressor. It's all about the battlefield role (Battleline, Close Support, Fire Support).

Slight correction here. While there are 10 squads permanently assigned to the 10th company, it's also just a squad type Primaris in Battlecompanies can be assigned to depending on the mission. An Intercessors is also an Infiltrator. A Hellblaster is also a Eliminator is also an Aggressor. It's all about the battlefield role (Battleline, Close Support, Fire Support).

True enough. I was more hooking on the fact that Phobos armour seems to be the Primaris trainee armour, meaning a Primaris Crusader Squad could be a mic of Tacticus and Phobos.

Fingers crossed.

There is a picture of a BT intercessor in the imperial fists successors section that says he is a member of a crusader squad.

Perhaps the rules will be in the IF supplement, or maybe even a BT supplement of their own one day!

Good catch.

So I think Invictors are just a toe dip in the water for the end result, that being a "knight titan" for marines that specializes in killing knights.

I look forward to whatever the WARSUIT will be in 5 years

Or the Templars just call squads Crusader Squads. Don’t get your hopes up.

like they ever done this so far. the Crusadersquad used to be a tactical squad but Black Templars used to have different builds - like other Options for normal Biker, normal Assault squad etc...

There is a picture of a BT intercessor in the imperial fists successors section that says he is a member of a crusader squad.

Perhaps the rules will be in the IF supplement, or maybe even a BT supplement of their own one day!

This would be more interesting if that exact brother hadn't had exactly the same description in the last codex.

Redemptors being able to sprint is both terrifying and hilarious.

++NONE CAN ESCAPE MY WRATH++ *swoosh*

it's described as a loping gait but regardless, that is a several tonz of "nope" that is about to run you over.

Yeah, it's basically the mass of a fully laden delivery van belting towards you om two legs.

Rik

Sssh, you will upset sete

GW already achieved that with their :cuss release schedule.
The joy(?) of trying to keep multiple player bases happy while not overloading retailers I'd guess.

Come for the lore, stay for Black Templar release schedule discussion.

The book is a little light on new lore. The supplements have some more, though of course more laser focused.

Very true. The small details are already helping to sell Primaris a bit more as a real part of the setting in my opinion.

Does it say more about how a fully primaris chapter is organised? I'm interested in layout of squads in a typical battle company and whether first company as veteran is still a thing.

I will get the codex myself but I'm holding out purchase for the IF mini dex. That's starting to look like a long wait.

Does it say more about how a fully primaris chapter is organised? I'm interested in layout of squads in a typical battle company and whether first company as veteran is still a thing.

I will get the codex myself but I'm holding out purchase for the IF mini dex. That's starting to look like a long wait.

They break down companies a little more vaguely by using "Battleline", "Close Support" and "Fire Support". Exact squad formation seems to be based on mission rather than a more fixed role. Edited by Fulkes

There's nothing different for Primaris structure just yet, 1st is still Veteran Company (Veteran Intercessors is a standard stratagem now), 2-5th are Battle, 6-9 Reserve, 10th is Scout.

Interestingly, it seems to imply that Primaris do use Scouts now, as it's implied that the Scouts are the "neophytes" that have yet to become full Battle Brothers, and that the 10th Company has 10 Vanguard squads in addition to the Scouts. There's also a fluff piece about the progression of a Primaris Ultramarine from recruitment through to Veteran, and he takes part in recon duties before his geneseed has fully taken, and it's only after that that he joins a Reiver Squad, and also Eliminator, as part of 10th Company.