New lore details from Codex: Space Marines

BitsHammer

There's nothing different for Primaris structure just yet, 1st is still Veteran Company (Veteran Intercessors is a standard stratagem now), 2-5th are Battle, 6-9 Reserve, 10th is Scout.

Interestingly, it seems to imply that Primaris do use Scouts now, as it's implied that the Scouts are the "neophytes" that have yet to become full Battle Brothers, and that the 10th Company has 10 Vanguard squads in addition to the Scouts. There's also a fluff piece about the progression of a Primaris Ultramarine from recruitment through to Veteran, and he takes part in recon duties before his geneseed has fully taken, and it's only after that that he joins a Reiver Squad, and also Eliminator, as part of 10th Company.

Do you, or anyone, know if Veteran Intercessors are considered Veterans (either 1st company, or in a Company Veterans type role) or if they are still Battleline Squads? It appears on page 18 of the new codex that they are in fact veterans, but is there any reference to what that means for say their right pauldron...is it the Troop up arrow or the Veteran cross?

In the latest White Dwarf, there's an Ultramarine Intercessor squad painted up with the white helmets and shoulder trims of the First Company.

However, I'd say you could paint them up either way. Lore wise, Intercessors promoted to the First Company would obviously have the relevant veteran markings. However, during long campaigns, a battle line squad of the Third Company (for example) could easily gain the skills and experience to be considered veterans, but would still display their original markings.

Thank you much!  I just wanted to confirm that they in fact COULD be a 1st company squad.  I'm painting up a unit of 5 that will exclusively be Veterans Intercessors of the 1st and wanted to make sure I gave them the correct heraldry.

There is a picture of a BT intercessor in the imperial fists successors section that says he is a member of a crusader squad.

Perhaps the rules will be in the IF supplement, or maybe even a BT supplement of their own one day!

There's a similar Intercessor portrait in the last Codex, which didn't include Primaris Crusader Squads. It's not necessarily an omen.