Reivers - Are they worth it now?

SyNidus

The issue with shock grenades is that they can't be used the turn you deepstrike in. I think the only way to use them "on demand" is to deploy them normally and then use temporal corridor combined with long range marksmen.

A fairly large overinvestment imo.

The issue with shock grenades is that they can't be used the turn you deepstrike in. I think the only way to use them "on demand" is to deploy them normally and then use temporal corridor combined with long range marksmen.

A fairly large overinvestment imo.

The grenades also can't be used when Advancing (including Temporal Corridor) or Falling Back, which combined with being out of range when deep striking, stymies their usage considerably.

Surely, we can create hyperbolic scenarios that play perfectly to their role, but the bottom line is that what they excel at is not common in game and thus not effecient. Plus, there are units (even if just Primaris) that do each of their roles better. Inceptors for dropping in to cause disruption. Incursors/Infiltrators for grabbing far away objectives or tying up units. (charge from out of LOS to avoid overwatch) Veteran Intercessors or even Aggressors as a mainline combat unit.

If you are using non-Primaris marines as well, they are even further down the totem pole. I could almost convince myself an empty Rhino is better.

I would argue their best role is actually tarpitting hard hitting INFANTRY, particularly ones like Terminators/Aggressors/Vanguard Vets who already have a -1 to hit melee weapon for Shock Grenades to stack with. As such, I could see potentially using 5 bare bones in a Repulsor Executioner for 80pts. With the repulsor field largely preventing charges out of deep strike, the Reivers could disembark, throw a nade, and charge that unit to hopefully tie it up for a turn. (sounds like hyperbole to me...)

I think they've always been worth it.

They are a comparatively durable unit that can arrive anywhere on the board to disrupt and capture objectives or line breaker.

I wouldn't overly concern myself with killing power. There is utility in the game beyond removing models.

Which other units did better while also being able to kill models.

They're okay now. You're not banking on your opponent forgetting they're in cover on an objective to get any use out of them anymore.

The bigger issue is, you need to build a list that isn't heavily penalized when going into assault doctrine.

Aside from the drop pod, which until the new codex was useless trash, the Reivers are the cheapest 10 wounds you can drop on the table on turn 3.

Unlike the pod they can move and engage other units.

They have won me games, people that use them have a similar experience.

Yes, there are units with more damage output. I don't require every unit in my list to be doing lots of damage. Guardsmen are super popular and they hardly deal any damage lol

Reivers also don't draw too much fire to themselves - that's a key point.

Edited by Ishagu

Aside from the drop pod, which until the new codex was useless trash, the Reivers are the cheapest 10 wounds you can drop on the table on turn 3.

Unlike the pod they can move and engage other units.

They have won me games, people that use them have a similar experience.

Yes, there are units with more damage output. I don't require every unit in my list to be doing lots of damage. Guardsmen are super popular and they hardly deal any damage lol

Reivers also don't draw too much fire to themselves - that's a key point.

I think I can find something better in this new codex to spend those 90 points on.

After all, I have to pay 90 points more for my Repulsors :(

Or I'd just spend 33 points more and drop in 9 T5 wounds with much more capable shooting to challenge an objective.

Edited by Lemondish

Did Inceptors drop in price? I'm away from my codex lol

Assault Bolters dropped by 2 pts, other than that they stayed the same.

I’ve got a few Reivers, but honestly the Incursors do the same job. In order to bring Reivers down on turn three I need to spend yhe same as Incursors, and Incursors are a troop choice. Other than fear shenanigans...Reivers are a hard sell for me.

I’ve got a few Reivers, but honestly the Incursors do the same job. In order to bring Reivers down on turn three I need to spend yhe same as Incursors, and Incursors are a troop choice. Other than fear shenanigans...Reivers are a hard sell for me.

Can I keep Incursors off the board for 3 turns?

Can I keep Incursors off the board for 3 turns?

With White Scars yes.

With belter inceptors going down in points they seem to really shine as the backline disruption unit. 

Which sadly leaves Reivers on the shelf.  I am really hoping with the Raven Guard supplement they get some awesome rules to actually give them a place in lists. 

Highly suggest using a unit of Reivers in tandem with your Inceptors on the initial drop into your opponents backfield. Either as a screen  or assault element against non-melee dedicated units. Consider them expendable if it allows the Inceptors to complete a mission/objective.

Anyone who wants reivers to work, try this little detachment :

White Scars successor with hungry for battle (+1 charge) and whirlwind of rage (+1 hit on a 6 to hit in cc)

Phobos lieutenant with grav-chute, plume of the plainsrunner relic (+1 charge) and master of vanguard warlord trait (+1 charge)

3x 5 Reivers with combat blades and grav-chute.

Drop from deep strike in your turn three.

Cost 351 points and +1 cp for vanguard detachment.

Have fun :)

I'm considering using Reivers as a budget assault unit in a Repulsor.

10 of these chaps are only 160 points and can dish out 41 Attacks at Ap-1 on turn 3. That's great for a cheap, durable unit that requires no CP expenditure. Even in earlier turns they can still do work when supported by a Chaplain or heroes granting auras. 10 would be hard to budge too, requiring some expenditure of an opponent's offensive power.

Edited by Ishagu

If you add in a Terminator Librarian to the mix, then you can make the first unit chosen to charge Immune to Overwatch with one of the White Scar unique powers... once that first unit of Reivers is in, then the other two can charge with no fear of being shot.

Additionally, if you give the Librarian the White Scar "Special Issue Wargear" Relic for -1Ld and the WL Trait for -1 LD (there is a Space Marine Strat that allows you to take a WL Trait on a second SM character who is not already your WL), then combined with the Reivers, any enemy units within 6" will have a -5 Ld... if your opponent suffers even one casualty, then even a high leadership armies like Marines (with Ld 8 normal, reduced to Ld 3) start losing multiple models in the Morale phase on any rolls of 3+.

Highly suggest using a unit of Reivers in tandem with your Inceptors on the initial drop into your opponents backfield. Either as a screen  or assault element against non-melee dedicated units. Consider them expendable if it allows the Inceptors to complete a mission/objective.

That's what I've been doing ever since the start of 8th. Worked quite well for me most of the time.

Reivers aren't a bad unit, and you can certainly imagine scenarios or combos with them that showcase their talents. The issue is that they're in the Elite slot, and Astartes have about 16,000 Elite slot choices and a lot of them are fantastic (including Forge World). 

Them being in the elite slot is not an issue, really. You have so many elite slots per detachment, you shouldn't ever run out on them unless you bring a list with nothing but a ton of tiny sized elite slot units.

Them being in the elite slot is not an issue, really. You have so many elite slots per detachment, you shouldn't ever run out on them unless you bring a list with nothing but a ton of tiny sized elite slot units.

The issue is more so your available points in a game and how much you are allocating to the elite slots, especially post-codex. It is hard to justify Reivers when there are so many better elite choices out there. Why spend the points and a slot when dramatically better options exist? If they were Fast Attack choices you could view them as a Primaris Assault Squad. 

The issue is more so your available points in a game and how much you are allocating to the elite slots, especially post-codex. It is hard to justify Reivers when there are so many better elite choices out there. Why spend the points and a slot when dramatically better options exist? If they were Fast Attack choices you could view them as a Primaris Assault Squad. 

But that's a general issue that shows that they are not quite worth it. That has nothing to do with them being Elite or not. They'd have the same issue if they were Fast Attack or Heavy Support. Likely even as Troops choice.

Edited by sfPanzer