Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blackstone Fortress Escalation

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
The previous weekly preview thread descended quickly into a complaints thread because there are no new space-marines. I thought I would try again to discuss the new cultists in Black Stone Fortress. They seem to have come out of nowhere.

PreOrderPreview-Aug18-BSF_EscalationHost

I will be very interested to see a size comparison against the new chaos marines. The beefy boy at the front looks to be on a 32mm base.

Pre-order Announcement on Warhammer Community

Teaser Article on Warhammer Community

Edited by Brother Casman, 21 August 2019 - 01:32 PM.
Adding links to the community site

• Marshal Rohr, DeadFingers, Loquille and 2 others like this

Ugolino

Ugolino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts

Look slightly shorter.

https://i.imgur.com/YxV2bFv.png <-This is what the Warhammer 40k setting is about.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,301 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

They look good but imo not as good as the DV ones or the traitor guard from the core Blackstone Fortress.

I wouldn't complain about getting them as proper box for 40k CSM but I also wouldn't be excited about it to be honest.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Marshal Vespasian

Marshal Vespasian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 770 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
I like the boxy looking assoult rifles. Could be looking more cobbled together tho
But viciousness and glory were no longer enough. Killing enemies in battle was no longer enough. I wanted to fight the Eternal Crusade. I wanted to win the war.- Reclusiarch Grimaldus
uqpKirY.jpg

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,720 posts

It's interesting to see how their barbaric aesthetic diverges from that of the old 6th ed. cultists (which have a sort of scrappy hiveworlder look) and the BSF traitor guardsmen. I know the idea of a Lost & the Damned codex is still fairly speculative but it's curious that there are a number of strains or maybe even subfactions in what we do have for chaos mortals. The firebrand/barbaric cultists vs beastment vs traitor guard/commissar/ogryn/psykers vs DarkMech negavolt dudes

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,875 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

After the striking aesthetics of the Blackstone Fortress traitor guardsmen and the sheer character of the War Cry releases, these – while nice – feel a bit flat and uninspired. There are some cool bits – the weird conch/shrimp armour of the flamer chap; the daemon helm of the champion(?) – but they generally strike me as slightly uninspired. Too distinctive to make a simple base for conversions, too disparate to feel unified, and too anonymous to be characterful.

• Zebulon, Son of Carnelian, Gorgoff and 3 others like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Hellebras

Hellebras

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 119 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists, Word Bearers

I like them, and look forward to mixing them into my Word Bearers' cultist rabble. After all, why should Chaos irregulars be uniform? Could be a good way to represent how they're using both homegrown slave cultists from the ship and militia converts from the planet being invaded too. I still prefer the aesthetic from the DV cultists, but at least I already have 40, and a new box might make them cheaper online too.

sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pnggallery_45765_12908_1745.pnggallery_45765_12339_1383.png

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 464 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika
Think the flamer guys hood was on the rumour engine.

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,013 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Presumably there is no guy with a flamer as the larger base would make him the 'Cultist Firebrand' leading the group. But we do get our first Cultist Grenade launcher which I would be very happy to see legal in 40k.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,979 posts
I like the style of these new cultists
I Will get them for sure hoping GW Will update the KT PDF for BSF models
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
Theyve had very specific unit sizes in 40k for new models from Blackstone so Id expect the same here (unit of 8 only)

As seismic a meta shift as this could be :)

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,979 posts

Theyve had very specific unit sizes in 40k for new models from Blackstone so Id expect the same here (unit of 8 only)

As seismic a meta shift as this could be :)

IMHO they will be a unit of 7 (1 x Champion + 4 x Autoguns + 1 x Heavy Stubber + 1 x Grenade Launcher) and the flamer guy will be a separate character

Edited by Master Sheol, 19 August 2019 - 10:41 AM.

• Dark Shepherd likes this
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

Unit for about 35 points + the character guy, an elite bloke ~20 points

that way BSF core + traitor command + this expansion = 500 point chaos battalion listsmile.png

Edited by Slasher956, 19 August 2019 - 10:31 AM.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,979 posts

Unit for about 35 points + the character guy, an elite bloke ~20 points

that way BSF core + traitor command + this expansion = 500 point chaos battalion listsmile.png

Yes
A good traitor legal detachment (3 troops and 2 HQ) to ally with CSM/CD/CK

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

These all look really nice, but that Flamer dude with his cowl is absolute perfection. Absolutely wonderful.

ztbmByp.png

"Painting with this stuff is like trying to copy the Mona Lisa using Napalm." -DuskRaider on Typhus Corrosion.

"Begone foul demon Cotton Eyed Joe,

Thy grasp here faded a long time ago,

From whence did you come, there you shall go,

I seal thee away now, Cotton Eyed Joe."

The Legion of Vice- Emperor's Children and Friends!

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,294 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

If you have collected BSF, Escalation, and Traitor Command you've got yourself a really cool, small Lost and the Damned army. 14 Traitor Guard led by a commissar and brute. 7 Cultists and a Cult Champion. 4 Beastmen, too. If this ever becomes a full army I'll be the first in line to buy the codex. I'd be kind of interested to play this vs a single a platoon of guard on a Kill Team board. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 19 August 2019 - 11:20 AM.

• Lord Marshal likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,339 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

I like the masks - can imagine the LATD wearing masks cast in the image of their gods & transhuman masters in an attempt gain their favour.

• Marshal Rohr likes this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,196 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
Dude. I would love to see a primaris just grab these fools by their dumb helmets and yeet them around a corridor.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

BolterZorro

BolterZorro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts

To be honnest, on the counter part side, "a Rogue Trader, a Crusader, a Primaris Psyker and a Technoarchaeologist – and X-101, a servitor retinue character", I have absolutly no idea wich is wich. I'd be interested in a Primaris Psyker for my Primaris army. The Admech one looks nice for my admech also.

PreOrderPreview-Aug18-BSF_EscalationHero

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,196 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
I'm guessing guy with the staff making the Vader choke motion is the psyker, the weird gender fluid thing on the peg leg is the rogue trader, the robot servitor guy is the servitor the guy with the sword and shield is a crusader, and the Cog boy is the archeologist.

That kind of sword shouldn't be used with shields :(

Edited by Trevak Dal, 19 August 2019 - 12:02 PM.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,021 posts

I actually need more cultists. Are these actually "cultists" or are they just being advertised as something that could be cultists? 

I'm not trying to be negative but they just don't look like cultists to me. They just don't have the look. I like the older cultists I'm using but the fight to get them all with Autoguns or CC weapons is a bit painstaking. Plus I only see 8, and I rarely take the flamer option. 

I feel like even if you love these, they should have done it kind of like Tzaangors where you have the option in the box to use a CC sprue or go with autoguns. There were these black cultists I remember seeing when Black Fortress first came out, and they looked the part to me. These guys just don't do it for me.

• Trevak Dal likes this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,294 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I actually need more cultists. Are these actually "cultists" or are they just being advertised as something that could be cultists? 

I'm not trying to be negative but they just don't look like cultists to me. They just don't have the look. I like the older cultists I'm using but the fight to get them all with Autoguns or CC weapons is a bit painstaking. Plus I only see 8, and I rarely take the flamer option. 

I feel like even if you love these, they should have done it kind of like Tzaangors where you have the option in the box to use a CC sprue or go with autoguns. There were these black cultists I remember seeing when Black Fortress first came out, and they looked the part to me. These guys just don't do it for me.

There are only 7 + Flame Pike Champion/Level Boss. Same as the Traitor Guard squads coming in 7. 

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 738 posts

The content of this box is not new, we've seen it before at the UK Games Expo 2019 in May:

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-1/

chaos-1.jpg

chaos-2.jpg

• Juggernut likes this

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

: https://www.ipetitio...p-and-hasbro-to

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

The content of this box is not new, we've seen it before at the UK Games Expo 2019 in May:

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-1/

Yes they have been shown before - as a coming soon item... this is the pre-pre-order hype!

& as such they havent been released before so are still new... .technically :P

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,301 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

To be honnest, on the counter part side, "a Rogue Trader, a Crusader, a Primaris Psyker and a Technoarchaeologist – and X-101, a servitor retinue character", I have absolutly no idea wich is wich. I'd be interested in a Primaris Psyker for my Primaris army. The Admech one looks nice for my admech also.

PreOrderPreview-Aug18-BSF_EscalationHero

How can you have difficulty identifying them?

The knight guy is obviously the crusader.

The psyker guy is obviously the primaris psyker (not a marine if you were thinking that).
The servitor guy is obviously the servitor.
The admech guy is the technoarchaelogist.
What's left is the lady with the fancy and non-military look as the rogue trader.

Pretty straight forward actually.

Edited by sfPanzer, 19 August 2019 - 12:37 PM.

• Bronze Beast in the Dark, Juggernut, Trevak Dal and 5 others like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users