New Codex and Supplement - First Impressions

MeltaRange

Thanks Rommel44, I dont get to play very often sadly, I rarely get to test theories out! So back to MM attack bikes or lascannon stormtalon gunships for my anti-tank.

If you want more bang for your points, Xiphon Interceptors are amazing compared to Stormtalons.  Which makes me a little sad since I have both.  But ever since the cost of Twin Assualt cannons went up, it is a harder justification to use them.

A Xiphon costs 220 points, has 4 Lascannon shots, 3 Str 6, AP -2, 3D shots with its missiles, Power of the Machine Spirit, +1 to shoot things with the fly key word, is T7 with 11 wounds, just can't hover. 

vs the Stormtalon at 194, 2 Lascannon shots, 12 Assualt Cannon shots, +1 to shoot things on the ground, T6 with 10 wounds, and can hover.

Edited by Armament81

For the whirlwinds it really comes down to the list.  With White Scars if we are going bike heavy, we have some much small arms fire that the Castellan Launchers are good, but not quite what we need.  The Vengence are great sources of Autocannon shots effectively, aside from Suppressors as a source of overwatch denial, they are by far my favorite way of getting that tier of shooting.  And you just can't shake a stick at 85 for that platform at this point (which is actually 5 points cheaper than Suppressors!)

Whirlwinds are good.  I like the -2 AP on the first turn now.  They are great for eliminating mortar teams and hive guard.

Additionally, they can kind of camp your back line a little bit and prevent deep striking.  Looking forward to getting some Las Fusil / Instigator Bolt Carbine Eliminators to really zone out the board away from the heavy fighting.

Thanks Rommel44, I dont get to play very often sadly, I rarely get to test theories out! So back to MM attack bikes or lascannon stormtalon gunships for my anti-tank.

Those seem like the best options. The Typhoon does well with Chapter Tactics that are more defensive or flexible such as the Ultramarines, Salamanders, and Raven Guard. Chapter Tactics like the White Scars that encourage us to be aggressive and get close to the enemy, the Dakka Tornado or another Tornado variant is the better choice but that's just my opinion. Will continue to test it out and see how it goes.

If you want more bang for your points, Xiphon Interceptors are amazing compared to Stormtalons.  Which makes me a little sad since I have both.  But ever since the cost of Twin Assualt cannons went up, it is a harder justification to use them.

A Xiphon costs 220 points, has 4 Lascannon shots, 3 Str 6, AP -2, 3D shots with its missiles, Power of the Machine Spirit, +1 to shoot things with the fly key word, is T7 with 11 wounds, just can't hover. 

vs the Stormtalon at 194, 2 Lascannon shots, 12 Assualt Cannon shots, +1 to shoot things on the ground, T6 with 10 wounds, and can hover.

I hadnt realy considered using any FW stuff before, but I could knock one up from a DA nephilim kit. Those stats are really tasty, and it seems really efficient. Many thanks.

Question to the Born in the Saddle Stratagem:

Do I get the -1 to hit for assault weapons?

The White Scars CT let's you ignore the -1 to hit for Assault weapons on BIKERS, which is why I bet they left that out of the Stratagem wording since they thought it would all work together...but they failed to think about White Scars successors with different tactics.  RAW it seems as though if you aren't using the official White Scar tactic, you would get -1 to hit with them.  But RAI, I think they will likely FAQ this to make sure it ignores the -1.

So now that index biker characters are back in what do you guys think? Chaplain on bike gets litanties.

While they are functional again in terms of the new rules, I feel like since they plan to make them Legacy and not intended for tournaments, I will still try not to use them as I like going to tournaments.  But you better believe I will still have some fun lists set aside with them in it.

Is there anything that stops you using 'swift wind' to double move a Rhino/LandRaider, then use 'lightning debarkation' to empty its contents 3", move them, and then fire away? Swift wind stops the transport shooting, but that's not the contents. That could be some very rapid deployment right there.

Is there anything that stops you using 'swift wind' to double move a Rhino/LandRaider, then use 'lightning debarkation' to empty its contents 3", move them, and then fire away? Swift wind stops the transport shooting, but that's not the contents. That could be some very rapid deployment right there.

Not that I've seen or heard.

The only thing that has been explicitly FAQ'ed is that you can't use LD to disembark after coming in from reserves.

There are White Scars successor colour schemes on p.48... and that's it for their representation in terms of fluff or pictures.

With regards to rules, successor Chapters can use:

• Warlord Traits,
  • Special-issue Wargear Relics (not Relics of Chogoris which are only for White Scars unless you use a Stratagem to access one of them),
  • Stratagems,
  • Psychic Powers,
  • Tactical Objectives.

There are White Scars successor colour schemes on p.48... and that's it for their representation in terms of fluff or pictures.

With regards to rules, successor Chapters can use:

• Warlord Traits,
  • Special-issue Wargear Relics (not Relics of Chogoris which are only for White Scars unless you use a Stratagem to access one of them),
  • Stratagems,
  • Psychic Powers,
  • Tactical Objectives.

Awesome thank you Dos. Vorr may just make a 40k appearance now... :P