Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unit of the Week: Captain in Phobos Armour

Blood Angels Unit of the Week series Blood Angels tactica

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,602 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Captain in Phobos Armour
sml_gallery_62972_11847_49366.jpg
Captain in Phobos Armour, Majkhel

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Phobos Captain?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • Footslog or transport? Retinue?
  • How are you making use of Rites of Battle, Concealed Positions, and Omni-scrambler?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Nb: Please note that Captain, TDA Captain, Cataphractii Captain, Primaris Captain, and Gravis Captain will be covered on a separate entry.

Edited by Jolemai, 02 September 2019 - 09:03 PM.

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:4
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:4
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:1 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:4
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:0 D:0 L:0

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,602 posts

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread from the series), then submit a photo here please.

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:4
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:4
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:1 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:4
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:0 D:0 L:0

Xerxus

Xerxus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 134 posts
I don't think the bloke is terrible, but his special rules don't make sense to me. I want a Captain to be buffing as many units as possible, unless you build your army with a significant amount of infiltrating units then it does not make sense to scout deploy him. He also lacks the ability to make use of the scout deploy in any meaningful way by himself. His deepstrike deny aura is only coming into play if he is placed on the fringe of the force, which again is at odds with his buffing ability. A regular Captain can do basically the same job in my opinion.

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,090 posts

I don't think the bloke is terrible, but his special rules don't make sense to me. I want a Captain to be buffing as many units as possible, unless you build your army with a significant amount of infiltrating units then it does not make sense to scout deploy him. He also lacks the ability to make use of the scout deploy in any meaningful way by himself. His deepstrike deny aura is only coming into play if he is placed on the fringe of the force, which again is at odds with his buffing ability. A regular Captain can do basically the same job in my opinion.

take infiltrators with comms units and his buff is better than regular captain ones, place him anywhere on the table and all the infiltrators still benefit. You can throw hellblasters in an impulsor or repulsor and drive them to him if needed.

• CommDante likes this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Xerxus

Xerxus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 134 posts
I have actually been considering how to support Hellblasters flying up in an Impulsor and while a Phobos Captain is an option, it limits the flexibility of the package. The Hellblasters need to reroll 1s, and so they will have to go close to where the Phobos Captain is. This can be predicted and played around by a competent opponent. Instead, with a regular Captain inside the Impulsor they can go anywhere.

Bonzi

Bonzi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts
I plan on running Infiltraitors and Incursors as my line infantry and I want this Captain for midfield buffs. I like him weapon paired up in conjunction with backfield eliminators. It lets me threaten buff characters that are so popular in castle armies. This frees up Smash, my DC, and Sanguinary Guard to chase big targets rather than being diverted into chasing down buff characters. I like the idea of precision asassination paired with wanton melee destruction.
  • CommDante likes this

Xeno

Necrons

Imperium

Astra/Tempestus Militarum - Vostroyans

Blood Angels - Hands of Sacrifice

Traitor Legions

Emperors Children - Making Noise Marines Scream

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts

take infiltrators with comms units and his buff is better than regular captain ones, place him anywhere on the table and all the infiltrators still benefit. You can throw hellblasters in an impulsor or repulsor and drive them to him if needed.

This^^. You could even have your phobos captain in the back line buffing las devastators, hellblasters or eliminators, or have your eliminators and phobos captain in the midfield and the infiltrators will benefit being anywhere on the table. I think its a real pitty incursors can't benefit as well as they're even better still IMHO. Having said that though I prefer CQC and an aggressive play style. But it is an option.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

BluejayJunior

BluejayJunior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 360 posts

Or keep him with Incursors to buff them, while the Infiltrators with Comms get his buff across the table. If you're planning on running a Vanguard heavy list. 

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_48988_15465_18311.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,248 posts
If you don't want to smash face, he's quite a fleixible captain option.

He can deploy almost anywhere and give those tasty re-rolls while also preventing 99% of deepstrikers from charging out of drop (bar maybe a 12" charge in some cases).

If you're using Eliminators the WLT to give a Phobos unit +1 to hit is rather nice. Or alternatively -1 to hit for himself makes him tough to shift while he Snipes out himself.

Obvious synergy with the other units that can benefit from his arua anywhere too.

However are you going to give up the 4D thunder hammer? Probably not.

Bonzi

Bonzi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts

If you don't want to smash face, he's quite a fleixible captain option.

He can deploy almost anywhere and give those tasty re-rolls while also preventing 99% of deepstrikers from charging out of drop (bar maybe a 12" charge in some cases).

If you're using Eliminators the WLT to give a Phobos unit +1 to hit is rather nice. Or alternatively -1 to hit for himself makes him tough to shift while he Snipes out himself.

Obvious synergy with the other units that can benefit from his arua anywhere too.

However are you going to give up the 4D thunder hammer? Probably not.

Well it isn't really a pick 1 situation, is it? You can have Smash and a Phobos captain at the same time. Smash is less of a buff character than a guided missile. I usually don't get much milage out of his buff. A phobos captain can stay in the midfield and snipe characters and buff squads while smash hops over him on his way to that fire raptor or knight.

Xeno

Necrons

Imperium

Astra/Tempestus Militarum - Vostroyans

Blood Angels - Hands of Sacrifice

Traitor Legions

Emperors Children - Making Noise Marines Scream

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels Unit of the Week series, Blood Angels tactica

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users