Let's get Aggressive with Aggressors!

Ishagu

So, I see these as one of the big, big winners of the new codex.

In a way they feel like the true successors of Terminators now, but trading teleportation for more firepower. Their durability and punch in close combat are finally substantial enough that they can't be ignored, and the price is right.

So here's the question: Will you be running bolters or flamers?

I think we can all agree that the bolters and generally more useful on paper, but despite this I'm chosing to run the flamers. Why?

With Intercessors being so good at Dakka I don't feel I need any more Bolter weaponry in my list.

I can see real play with auto hitting weapons, and I'll be running them in a Repulsor as well. 5 will be a great defensive unit, will bring down a flyer without any re-rolls in a single shooting phase and generally won't require any auras to deal real damage with an average 72 auto hits per turn. The five of them will also destroy the average vehicle in a single assault phase on the charge, and can take a hit back due to the good number of wounds.

Are you guys going to run them and how will you equip them?

Edited by Ishagu

Personally I’m going to stick with bolters. I’d have loved to use the flamer ones and I was really gutted when the new transport couldn’t take Gravis as I wanted to run a squad of flamers right up the board.

Now though, unless I invest heavily in the Repulsor, they’re still going to have the mobility issues they always had. With that in mind I think the bolters will be more universally useful if I have to match them up the board.

I do want to have a crack at having a huge core of aggressor units and just surge up the middle with them like a fist but I don’t have enough models yet.

I've been discussing the Aggressors quite a bit in my local GW store. 

My viewpoint, as someone putting together Crimson Fists, having them armed with Boltstorm Gauntlets seems like the clear winner. Additional hits on 6's, with a +1 to hit when facing squads of 8 or more (not thinking beyond three in a unit). As a mobile firebase they're powerful, and tough to shift off of a home objective thanks to the extra wound.

My mate at the store is thinking flamers, and having them take up the transport capacity of a Repulsor Executioner. Gives them some movement, and if anything wants to take get in close and take out the tank - well they'll have three Aggressors with auto-hitting flamers jumping out to ruin their day.

If you are running them mech then flamers are great. You can roast your first target then with 3W you might even have some survive for overwatch. I'd expect them to go up in price next CA though, they are simply too good for their price IMO

For Templar’s I really like the idea of having helbrecht with a unit of them with helbrecht providing full rerolls as well as +1s in close combat for that juicy str 10.

The question is how do we get them to the enemy in damaged. Raven guard have the ability to infiltrate them up the board but for the rest of us we have to consider a repulsor or other options.

I was toying around with a list earlier based on three Executioners loaded up with an Aggressor squad each. Throw in a Vanguard battalion for board control and you have a pretty potent recipe I think.

Probably not the most competitive idea in the world, but I'm sure it would pack one hell of a punch, and feel like exactly what a Marine army is meant to play like. Roll up and just park some obscene firepower on top of an objective, and dare anything to try come get it.

I think the Flamer ones are much better now with the changes to Fire Storm, since they will always overwatch with 4d6 hits per model.  Also I could see them being useful for Ultramarines in particular since they can move and still fire 4d6 shots in their own turn, since that opens up the potential for them to come out of a transport and fry someone. (or move forward to fry some deep strikers that failed a charge) For other Chapters, I don't really rate them though.  Maybe for a custom chapter with the +3" range trait they could be pretty good.  And we'll see what happens with Salamanders drop.

I do think the Bolter version is overall clearly superior.  Ultramarines are again the big winners here since they can move and double tap, PLUS can make up to 2 units of them use the Tactical Doctrine on Turn 1 for that sweet -1AP for an insane alpha strike. (assuming range)  Add Calgar in there to babysit them and my GOD that's some ridiculousness.  Add the Ancient with the UM relic banner and now they are making 5 attacks each in the first round of combat.

Heck, even Ultramarines successors to add range to the flamers and still get to count as stationary in tactical doctrine. 

I think I need to read this part of the codex again.  I was under the impression in order to use the supplements you needed to use the actual CT associated with the book.

I WANT to use boltstorm guys... but currently am stuck with flamers thanks to an ill-thought out Deathwatch plan. So I’m gonna be as Iron and endure, but I will grumble incessantly.

Midfield battle group (x2)

1) 5 Aggressors with bolt storm gauntlets. Strike from the Shadows.

2) 5 Hellblasters and Captain (or Chaplain?) roll up in Impulsor T1

3) 5 Intercessors walk up from behind for support and ObSec.

Shove 35+ T4 3+ (maybe 2+) wounds in your opponent face and dare them to come get it

- preferably going first but definitely get the Aggressors in Cover for the -1 hit CT

I ran a single 5-man combat squad of Aggressor as Deathwatch, I used the teleport Stratagem on them most of the time. When they come in, count as moving and the boltstorm gauntlets shoot that much, your opponent responds. White Scars can Outflank them, Ultramarines can walk them up and double shoot, not sure who got it better, my experience tells me opponents panic when they come from nowhere and have to be dealt with. I am considering bringing 3x 5-man units of them, either outflanking as White Scars or walking up the board as Ultramarines.

If you are running them mech then flamers are great. You can roast your first target then with 3W you might even have some survive for overwatch. I'd expect them to go up in price next CA though, they are simply too good for their price IMO

I have to admit that with the new doctrines I find it a lot harder to evaluate squads, because I agree with you when they're added into the mix.  It's just without doctrines I don't think that the unit is really that under costed. The fact that your really comparing opportunity costs really makes things murky (doctrines vs. Allies).

Further complicating manners is that so far only marines have a no ally buff. So does this look broke right now but in 3 months are we all going be like "wait Eldar get that!!!"  followed by us all looking like this :cry: for at least the next week.