What would you like to see in a World Eaters codex?

TorvaldTheMild

If we get an update I hope GW are fair and give us army wide blood for the blood god, like DG.  We aren't going to get much in the way of shooting so we need it, obviously not for dameon eingines unless they are World Eater or Khorne specific.  Also it will boost out DP's as 1 extra attack in no way equals psychic powers.  I also hope we get an assault vehicle that lets us charge even if it moves like the impulser travesty.  Also a unit of World Eaters on juggernaughts, like TWC it has to be done.  Red Butchers would be nice and since rampager could take jump packs and rampagers became berzerkers then berzerkers should be able to take them.  What are your wishlists, also lets hear the wishlists for EC's, IW's etc.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

Immunity to leadership tests and the ability for any unit of Khorne Berzkers to deny the witch like Black Templar. But also give CSM with Mark of Khore a 1cp strat to deny the witch. Make a strong play on the Berserker aspect of World Eaters. They have the pin in their brain pushing their aggression. 

But what ever it ends up being. I hope it is fun and fluffy.

Obligatory Terminator unit (don't care if they are Red Butchers or not) as I freaking love Terminators. Don't even care what pattern of Terminator armour they're wearing (probably best not to be Cata unless there are some serious movement bonuses though).

New Khorne Berzerkers with access to some gladiatorial style weapons in the squad in lieu of special weapons; GW could take inspiration from Rampagers in 30k. Just a few per squad like Plague Marines with their flails/maces. Add some variety to the chain axe spam.

Some kind of World Eater specific "Blood Apostle" with a set of prayers more focused on smashing faces than shooting.

A hero that buffs the movement speed of nearby World Eaters units.

Obligatory Terminator unit (don't care if they are Red Butchers or not) as I freaking love Terminators. Don't even care what pattern of Terminator armour they're wearing (probably best not to be Cata unless there are some serious movement bonuses though).

New Khorne Berzerkers with access to some gladiatorial style weapons in the squad in lieu of special weapons; GW could take inspiration from Rampagers in 30k. Just a few per squad like Plague Marines with their flails/maces. Add some variety to the chain axe spam.

Some kind of World Eater specific "Blood Apostle" with a set of prayers more focused on smashing faces than shooting.

A hero that buffs the movement speed of nearby World Eaters units.

I also love terminators.  We will most likely get the weapons of 30k meteor hammers Exoriators etc. Yeah we have always been fearless so they need to do something towards that.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

It’s hard because the World Eaters don’t function as a cohesive Legion in the slightest anymore. It’s typically Berzerkers latched on or hires out to other warbands, and as we already have Berzerkers...

I can’t imagine GW going full on with the bloodthirsty charge thing for a whole codex line; it wouldn’t be very competitive and they generally like to give options in data sheets and kits.

Looking to AoS Khorne and the Death Guard/Thousand Sons might provide some kind of insight as to what a WE dex may possess. The blood tithe mechanic may make an appearance, and I’m sure they will get multiple special characters to improve movement, attacks, tithe generation, etc. The old traitor Legion book from 7th could give insight into the relics and traits too

World Eaters are tough. If they were easy to make an army for and to support a line I’m pretty sure it would have been done already. They could look like vanilla chaos if done one way or old khorne daemonkin if done another, and both of those already/have existed.

It’s hard because the World Eaters don’t function as a cohesive Legion in the slightest anymore. It’s typically Berzerkers latched on or hires out to other warbands, and as we already have Berzerkers...

I can’t imagine GW going full on with the bloodthirsty charge thing for a whole codex line; it wouldn’t be very competitive and they generally like to give options in data sheets and kits.

Looking to AoS Khorne and the Death Guard/Thousand Sons might provide some kind of insight as to what a WE dex may possess. The blood tithe mechanic may make an appearance, and I’m sure they will get multiple special characters to improve movement, attacks, tithe generation, etc. The old traitor Legion book from 7th could give insight into the relics and traits too

World Eaters are tough. If they were easy to make an army for and to support a line I’m pretty sure it would have been done already. They could look like vanilla chaos if done one way or old khorne daemonkin if done another, and both of those already/have existed.

Not really, if they gave army wide BFBG, and some other CC units, cheap assault transports, rules that help with charging or against overwatch whether its characters or stratagems etc.  They could easily make a badass and competitive WE army.  They could do it without giving us a dakka unit, sure you'd still get dakka in daemon engines and vehicles but I could write a competitive codex let alone a good one, but its up to GW on what route they take as they have been buffing everything dakka lately and nerfing everything CC so well see.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

I'm not sure why you think they would be difficult to turn into an army in their own right because a Legion does not need to be cohesive to justify a substantive tabletop presence. Lacking organisation does not preclude a variety of Legion-specific characters and units, and World Eaters warbands of varying sizes have always existed in the lore. You are also forgetting the big deus x-factor: Angron. He gathered 50,000 Berzerkers to his side during the First War for Armageddon and there is no reason why GW can't wave their hand and say that the Legion is reunited, even if just temporarily to follow their Primarch into a great conflict, in the same way they did with Magnus and his Thousand Sons. This is a new era after all, EJ, and I don't think you make a compelling case at all.

As for the army design, they could include more unusual nods to older lore/the Fifteen Fangs by having some unusual Khorne-themed ranged units if for some reason the designers didn't think close combat and anti-psyker was enough of a raison d'etre. There is plenty of scope for a Khorne themed army and inspiration can be drawn from Khorne in AoS/the old Khorne Daemonkin.

And c'mon, when has something not being competitive ever stopped GW from doing anything at all? :P

Good points by both of you in response to my previous post. If I tried to bring the worst points I could think of, I think we’re in good shape! :)

As I misread or forgot the thread topic, here’s my wishlist. A WE specific daemon engine, a war machine or daemon engine that spurs the WE on or draws the enemy towards it, the ranged unit idea you spoke of, and a dedicated assault ram. Army wide 5+ invuln to reflect the crazy nature would be great too.

Just some rushed thoughts waiting for the kids to go to bed!

Not really, if they gave army wide BFBG, and some other CC units, cheap assault transports, rules that help with charging or against overwatch whether its characters or stratagems etc.  They could easily make a badass and competitive WE army.  They could do it without giving us a dakka unit, sure you'd still get dakka in daemon engines and vehicles but I could write a competitive codex let alone a good one, but its up to GW on what route they take as they have been buffing everything dakka lately and nerfing everything CC so well see.

World Eater warbands may not be the old legion strength, but legions were in the hundreds of thousands, each warband is most likely far bigger than a chapter.  Though I would love it if it was united, though Angron would have to do a lot to get Khârn to return to the legion was he destroyed the legion at Skalathrax and did it purposefully.  I wrote a short story about Khârn where the great rift swells his butcherhord due to the opportunities there in and that for his work on Cadia he demanded the Conqueror back as payment.  Not that it'll ever get published though as BL is a boys club and its next to impossible to submit anything let alone get published.  Shame.

Units:

- Berzerker Terminators

- Berzerkers Riding Juggernauts

- Special melee options for Berzerkers

- Some mechanic to improve defense. I wouldn't mind to see berzerkers go up in cost in return for a second wound or something.

- Berzerker Dreadnought

- WE specific Daemon engine/beast (they'll probably get the Slaughterbrute from AOS since 1ksons got the mutalith)

- Bring back Teeth of the Legion. Unit that can either be heavy weapons for anti tank or anti-character snipers. Probably close range.

- Khorne horde infantry ala Pox Walkers or Tzaangors. Maybe Khorne goats? Or just Bloodpact traitor guard.

Rules:

- A system where you can get more melee buffs in returns for rage mechanics or hitting your own guys Khârn style. These could come from new characters or prayers.

- Sacrifice models to buff the unit

- FNP vs Mortal Wounds, and also Deny the Witch attempts on characters.

DG got a reimagined Blightdrone so I assume the Blood Slaughterer isn't off the table but that's a prediction not a wishlist. Angron is pretty much a given but a plastic Brass Scorpion would be amazing please.

I also want a wide variety of melee weapons on berserker squads, Plague Marines having more melee options feels wrong even if those never actually hit the table top.

If DG can get Deathshroud and more traditional terminators in 40k then World Eaters can as well.

Angron and Red Butchers

Units:

- Berzerker Terminators

- Some mechanic to improve defense. I wouldn't mind to see berzerkers go up in cost in return for a second wound or something.

- Berzerker Dreadnought

- WE specific Daemon engine/beast (they'll probably get the Slaughterbrute from AOS since 1ksons got the mutalith)

- Bring back Teeth of the Legion. Unit that can either be heavy weapons for anti tank or anti-character snipers. Probably close range.

- Khorne horde infantry ala Pox Walkers or Tzaangors. Maybe Khorne goats? Or just Bloodpact traitor guard.

Rules:

- A system where you can get more melee buffs in returns for rage mechanics or hitting your own guys Khârn style. These could come from new characters or prayers.

I'm a SWs player as well... the game really doesn't need more marines riding animal like things 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

Here's my idea (very rough) of what a World Eaters codex 

World Eaters Wishlist Codex

Army wide Special Rules:
Furious Charge: Re Roll charge rolls and +1 attack on the charge

No Respite:If the model is killed in the fight phase on a 4+ it gets to fight again and then is removed

HQ:

Khârn

Chaos Lord: Give Lords Blood of the Blood God rule, you could give via warlord trait if they think its too powerful
Chaos Lord on Juggernaught: I have an Juggerlord model, I'm not sure if i would just port the index Jugger lord over
or modify some way
Blood Priest: Kind of a Dark Apostle/Master of possessions cross over.
Daemon Prince: would gain some of the talents of the Blood Priest

TROOPS
Khorne Berzerkers: Icon of Wrath would give immunity to moral checks or Icon of Spite give units ability to dispel spells.
Blood Fiends: Cheap, light infantry similar to Pox walkers
Blood Letters

ELITES
Helbrute
Possessed
Red Butcher Terminators
Blood Crushers
Mage Hunter: I thinking a Master of Executions for psykers
Skull Collector: Similar to the Tally-man, CP for any unit destroyed

FAST ATTACK
Blood Slaughterer: Bring him over from the FW index
Flesh Hounds
Chaos Spawn

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Land Raider
Predator
Maulerfiend
ForgeFiend
Defiler
Teeth of Khorne: a call back to the good old days, I'm not sure how the unit come to be. Maybe a walker or a small squad
unit like Obilts. Shooting focus.
Skull Cannon

LORD OF WAR
Lord of Skulls

Brass Scorpion: Port over from FW index

Angron

TRANSPORTS
Rhino: I would like to bring back the destroyer upgrade that would improve the combat potential of vehicles

Teeth of Khorne: a call back to the good old days, I'm not sure how the unit come to be. Maybe a walker or a small squad

Those are just Havocs dude. That's all the Teeth of Khorne were. The World Eaters' Heavy Support Squads :lol:

Those are just Havocs dude. That's all the Teeth of Khorne were. The World Eaters' Heavy Support Squads :laugh.:

I would redo the squad to something else. It would be a cool call back to some old school lore

Edited by BrassClaw

Angron and Red Butchers

Units:

- Berzerker Terminators

- Berzerker Dreadnought

Rules:

I'm a SWs player as well... the game really doesn't need more marines riding animal like things 

Just because SW copied our old chosen on juggernauts from the 3.5 codex doesn't mean we can't have the originals back... ;)

This is what I'd expect to see, using Death Guard as a precedent:

• World Eaters Legion Trait simplified to be basically the same as (and in addition to) the new Hateful Assault rule.
  • BFTBG, like Disgustingly Resilient for DG, will likely only appear on Berzerkers, Khârn and any new, unique WE units. It likely won't be retroactively added to common CSM units like Chaos Lords.
  • New units:
    • Generic HQ: a special Berzerker Lord to be the equivalent of a Lord of Contagion. It would likely produce extra attacks rather than rerolls.
    • Generic Elites characters: something that grants bonuses to charge and advance moves; something that impacts enemy psykers.
    • Elites choices: I doubt Red Butchers will be a thing. We're more likely to get special Chosen (World Eaters were the first to get a unit called "Chosen", back in 3rd edition - they were just Elites choice Berzerkers with Feel No Pain), and/or Juggernaut riders.
    • Troops choices: Khornegors as meatshields superior to cultists in every way...
    • Fast Attack: Berzerkers with jump packs, maybe. Juggernauts might fall into Fast Attack.
    • Heavy Support: Khornate daemon engines seem likely.

I'm going to have to disagree about the Calvary, but that's mostly because in this edition they are punked by multilevel ruins.

If I were to make/design red butchers, they would have two flamers per guy and two power axes, with the ability to upgrade to lightning claws or power/chain fists (doubles of course).

All units definitely have to have the Two attack phases built in (like Zerkers).

Special version of a Dark Apostle/apothecary that can do blood magic (has an axe instead of a maul).

Units:

- Berzerker Terminators

- Berzerker Dreadnought

Rules:

*Happiness noises*

That would be amazing as the unique bits in WE onto top of the CSM vehicles etc. Some suggestions, the fodder unit should be beastmen or khornagors, CCW + auto pistol, 2 handed axe option, flames and shotgun, no heavy weapons in the unit. Also heavy flamer option for WE chosen and havocs.

Personally I don't like wishlisting topics, people tend to get caught up in the unit-creation process and it will inevitably lead to disappointment when the real units are released...no matter of how good/bad they actually are. 

Personally I don't like wishlisting topics, people tend to get caught up in the unit-creation process and it will inevitably lead to disappointment when the real units are released...no matter of how good/bad they actually are. 

Well we have the wishlist in our heads already, the process of writing them down isn't going to exclusively disappoint us. 

Angron and Red Butchers

Units:

- Berzerker Terminators

- Berzerker Dreadnought

Rules:

We already have them, our Chaos lords can ride them and they aren't stupid like they are as TWC are, Chaos has daemons and magic, riding a daemon isn't exactly strange.  Astartes rising wolves is kinda stupid.   

As much as I absolutely adore Warhammer Fantasy's skullcrushers, I agree.

Bloodmist Rollers don't have the bagage of being space wolves riding space wolves, but I find that mounted combat ala chivalry in Warhammer 40,000 should be limited to bikes. It very likely comes from my preference for space marines being portrayed as space marines, as opposed to a screaming strongbox plucked from our own history before being thrown into the far future after giving them a power pack, a bolter and a chainsword.

Of course, I say that, but I'm still entertaining the thought of putting some of the incoming sisters of battle on a demigryph. Or twelve.

Going back to what I'd like to see in Codex: World Eaters; the return of the Berzerker Glaive—partly because of ElDuderino's lovely conversion—and more information on their unexpected skill in armored warfare. I've read on this forum that Ferrus Manus himself had praised the Twelfth Legion in that specific field, after they got the Butcher's Nails.

Teeth of Khorne were basically just Havocs, but if you wanted to make them a unique datasheet, what kind if changes would you make?

I would give them access to only dakka weapons and give them a rule like the orks. Edited by Excessus