What would you like to see in a World Eaters codex?

TorvaldTheMild

From a design standpoint, I do think it's challenging to fill out options for all the force org slots within the Worldeaters concept without fundamentally altering it. I'm not arguing "Worldeaters = berzerkers." but I've had opponents contend that Predators don't belong in a Worldeaters detachment, so I'm not sure what direction they can take without running into that sentiment.

To be fair, this same argument could easily be applied to the other cult legions as well. Look at the Thousand Sons: they added a bunch of new units in the Tzaangors, but...they really don't *feel* like they belong in the Thousand Sons, by popular sentiment. They built the DG I think in a way that works with the idea you mention, by pushing plague marines together with supporting elite character options.

*If* the WE get a codex (and I am also skeptical), then I'd expect an expanded model line: new 'zerkers, adding a terminator berzerker option and an HQ kit; probably Angron as well (to sell people on the army). After that, perhaps an array of Elite support characters to push the berzerkers and termi-berzerkers to the next level (as I think the DG elite support options do for them). But I would expect it to be fairly narrowly focused in that it would center on berzerkers and establishing a less monotonous way to play berzerker spam.

That sounds like a promising outline, some dynamic options or at least a way to shine is the key to making it a worthwhile codex and, from GWs standpoint, selling some plastic.

Berzerkers also currently have a unique dynamic among the cult marines in that they are more popular to field as an elites choice. Designwise, I assume they won't mess with that but there also has to be some incentive to build an army of Berzerkers instead of a single unit.

I think all Codex: World Eaters units should be able to chase down enemy units that try to flee close combat.

I think all Codex: World Eaters units should get access to a 6+ FNP that goes up to a 5+ when within 9" of whatever enemy unit is attacking you.

I think as a squad loses more models, the models that remain gain increased movement and an increased number of attacks. Larger squads should benefit from this more then smaller squads.

I think World Eater characters should have the option to pay for Brass Collars.

I think World Eaters should have access to all generic HQs that will benefit from army rules and have access to codex weaponry in addition to vanilla weaponry.

I think World Eater dark apostles (and chaos lords, exalted champions, and executioners) should be able to pay for a jump back, terminator armor, or a bike (which would also at the same time be given to all chaos armies).

I think World Eater dark apostles should get access to army specific prayers.

I think World Eater berzerkers should have the option to pay for jump packs that also come with either +1 wound or +1 toughness.

I think World Eater berzerkers should have the option to replace up to two bolt pistols with a legion specific hand flamer.

I think World Eater tactical marines should come with chainswords, bolt pistols, bolters, and +1 attack... price should be adjusted accordingly... and one marine per 5 can replace their weapon with a legion specific flamer (or other generic special weapon) and one marine per 10 can replace their bolter with a legion specific baleflamer (or other generic heavy weapon.

I think World Eater cultists should be mid to close combat oriented. Have the option to bring flamers on par with what you would find with imperial guard, shotguns (ditto) and have strengthened melee capacity... whether that be through a few heavy hitting models per squad... or just extra low strength attacks per model.

I think World Eaters should get cult fast attack rather then terminators... some sort of biker / daemon engine hybrid with a marine riding it.

I think World Eaters should get access to vanilla terminators who can also bring legion specific flame weaponry and of course benefit from army rules.

I think World Eaters should get access to vanilla helbrutes who can also bring legion specific flame weaponry and of course benefit from army rules.

I think World Eaters should get access to vanilla spawn who of course benefit from army rules.

I think World Eaters should get access to Mutilators with completely reworked rules.

I think world Eaters should get access to Havocs that have access to legion specific medium range flame weaponry in addition to most generic weaponry and whom benefit from army rules.

I think World Eaters should get access to vanilla possessed and greater possessed who of course benefit from army rules. I think World Eaters possessed should be able to pay for wings to get the jump keyword (I think all chaos possessed should get that option at the same time).

I think World Eater greater possessed should work somewhat like Dark Apostles in order to give us an equivalent for the Master of Possession. All Chaos armies should get access to this at the same time.

I think World Eater maulerfiends should have the range of their lasher tendrils increased to 8" in order to threaten people hiding on elevated platforms. I think World Eater maulerfiends should benefit from army wide rules. Ideally... World Eater maulerfiends would be able to pay for legion specific flamers that they could bring in addition to either lasher tendrils or the melta tool. Maulerfiends would only be able to use these flamers when they are unable to charge the foe due to elevation.

I think World Eaters should have access to heldrakes that benefit from army wide rules (including being able to chase after fleeing flyers) and perhaps with further buffed melee against things with the fly keyword.

I think World Eaters should have access to rhinos, landraiders, and vindicators that can bring legion specific weaponry. I think we should have the option to pay for these vehicle to be possessed... at which point they benefit from other applicable legion rules.

I think World Eaters should have access to a legion specific deepstrike transport with a baleflamer and rules catered for assault.

I am probably forgetting some things... obviously some desires are more reasonable then others.

ALSO Blood Slaughterer rules in the codex, Angron, and Angron with his bloodthirster bodyguards as apoc detachment.

Edited by Schurge

After that, perhaps an array of Elite support characters to push the berzerkers and termi-berzerkers to the next level (as I think the DG elite support options do for them).

Hah no.

Only DG elite slot guy that gets used is the one with a decent gun. Core book exalted champions and dark apostles are way better, DG are better off with more regular lords, psykers and more Plague marines.

That's fair; I haven't gotten my Death Guard on the table yet (I'm a stickler for painted models) so I'm still looking at their rules mostly in theory, but I was more describing what I think GW intended for those models, not what they actually achieve. On the other hand, for World Eaters it's much more likely that GW will actually have to lean on such specialized support characters, since they won't be using psykers of any sort to flesh out the army's capabilities.

The main thing I would want to see is Assault Berzerkers. Or anything that crosses the board quickly and has lots of attacks.

It would be nice to see Angron, it would be nice to see some Khornate artillery. But the thing that gets me when I play World Eaters is how slow they are. Even if you manage to charge with a unit of Berzerkers, your opponent just moves everything else away from it.

The main thing I would want to see is Assault Berzerkers. Or anything that crosses the board quickly and has lots of attacks.

It would be nice to see Angron, it would be nice to see some Khornate artillery. But the thing that gets me when I play World Eaters is how slow they are. Even if you manage to charge with a unit of Berzerkers, your opponent just moves everything else away from it.

Khorne berzerkers with jump packs? I will take at least 30 please! How many loyalist heads will this cost? :teehee:

IIRC, the Khorne-worshipping Blood Pact uses "gore mages" in Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts novels.

Let's relax the "No sorcerers!" rules and allow Khorne worshippers to expend Warp charges to teleport themselves and their entire squads forwards, bringing the enemy within reach of their blades, allowing them to honor the Blood God quickly.

Yeah I am as doubtful about a World Eater book as I am about my manager actually coming in Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and grilling me and my team steaks. (Nightshift and Fuel center get forgotten a lot at grocery stores. We hear lots of mouth-noise but nothing of substance ever comes of it.)

So ah...as an update my manager DID come in and grill me and mine some steaks along with twice baked potatoes.

Yeah I am as doubtful about a World Eater book as I am about my manager actually coming in Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and grilling me and my team steaks. (Nightshift and Fuel center get forgotten a lot at grocery stores. We hear lots of mouth-noise but nothing of substance ever comes of it.)

So ah...as an update my manager DID come in and grill me and mine some steaks along with twice baked potatoes.

It's a sign! IT'S A SIGNNNNN

It's a sign! IT'S A SIGNNNNN

The gore tide will soon be upon us brothers ! 

You do realise that a GW store manager knows literally nothing about what GW plan?  Even if they know something its not that long before customers learn about it.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

• 6 months later...

I'm not that convinced there will be a codex, honestly. It's been rumored for several editions and I'm not getting my hopes up.

If they can chug out every 3 months a new Space Marines subfaction, they can do ONE WE codex supplement once every decades...

WHat i would like to come back is the Blood Tith from KDK...

I miss this, it was the funnest and fluffiest rule ever made, not only was it a valid and solid gameplay mechanic, but it also had a real fluff and game impact.

It encouraged CSM players to go absolutly balls against the wall and play in an aggresive manner, cause no matter the casualties, in the end, it worked in your favor.

Its the rule and army list that i had the most fun, playing my Khornate Marines and Deamons, for the last 12 years since the end of 3.5 codex era.

Before that i always felt the need to be more defensive and counter attack, cause if i tried to be more aggresive, i would have been shredded by the enemy superior firepower, and ungodly amount of shots or stupid backwards rules, that made my units so much of an easy targets for them, to the point where i din't get any fun anymore playing, and was just showing around, cause i knew the poeple at the FLGS for the past 15 or so years...

There was people and armies that i would flat out refuse to play against, cause i knew perfectly well how it was gonna end anyways so why even bother?...

But KDK gave me some solace, some joy back for playing a Khornate army.

It bummed me out to no ends to see that they did not make the cut for 8th ed...

A Special Character, like a Skull Priest, that ahs the Blood Tith rulling( but in a 24" of him), that would be a worthy replacements for a Sorceror.

Also Khorne D Princes, need some special ability, cause a D Prince without Psy powers and only an extra A, is garbage, give them a Special Aura or some sort of attack or mechanic.

I'm not that convinced there will be a codex, honestly. It's been rumored for several editions and I'm not getting my hopes up.

If they can chug out every 3 months a new Space Marines subfaction, they can do ONE WE codex supplement once every decades...

WHat i would like to come back is the Blood Tith from KDK...

I miss this, it was the funnest and fluffiest rule ever made, not only was it a valid and solid gameplay mechanic, but it also had a real fluff and game impact.

It encouraged CSM players to go absolutly balls against the wall and play in an aggresive manner, cause no matter the casualties, in the end, it worked in your favor.

Its the rule and army list that i had the most fun, playing my Khornate Marines and Deamons, for the last 12 years since the end of 3.5 codex era.

I hear you on that brother.

I've done a lot of reading over the last several weeks, old books, forum threads (OLD ones lol) and whatever I can find around the net and that Daemonkin book was really a good one.

That said, I feel like the special rules and such we got out of Faith and Fury? PROBABLY good enough for me.

My needs?

1. I want all my marines, ALL OF THEM, to have a rule that makes them explicitly World Eaters. - Legion Trait: Butchers Nails. It doesnt need to be 'good' it just needs to be there.

2. I want Marines, I want lots of them, and I want them to be able to do work. Well...fine.

3. I want to have the ability to use supporting units to get my guys there for the chopping. You can do that, or pretty well.

Is it 3.5 or even Daemonkin? Probably not. Is it good enough for me to be able to call it 'World Eaters'? Yeah, I think it is.

I'm already working on the List (2000 pts) and conversion plans. :)