In this topic we will discuss the various Ultramarines specific Relics available in the Ultramarines Supplement. Note that Special Issue Wargear does have some Ultramarines specific Relics to choose from, but such is the variance available due to Honoured Sergeant as well as the nature of Successor Chapters, I've split the two sections into two separate articles on the matter.

I'll open proceedings with a round up of each item and my opinion on the effectiveness of each. This can and likely will be disputed by our esteemed fraternity here but that is good - discussion is to be encouraged!

Let us all know what you think and whether there are combinations not mentioned.

Without further stalling for time...

Relics of Maccragge

Sanctic Halo

The same old Relic and likely to remain a firm favourite, there are few models this Relic is not worth taking on. (The Cataphractii Captain springs to mind, since a singe deny isn't worth your Relic slot or a CP in my opinion)

Primaris Captains might have an extra wound but the lack of a 2+ save, Storm Shield or movement options is quite the drawback. As such they particularly enjoy the benefits of this item. However, it you want a Storm Shield protection but want to keep your snazzy gun as well as beatstick of choice on your Classic Captain, then this Relic is a solid choice for you too.

The Soldier's Blade

I wanted to like an Ultramarines only sword but this is a hard pass for the majority of models. Worse in every way bar Damage than the Burning Blade (equalling at D2), there are only 2 reasons to take this weapon and they're very specific.

The first is the Phobos knife wielder. This is possible but likely you'll be using your Phobos Captain as a sniper and a Lieutenant isn't the most competitive combat monster to use a valuable Relic slot on.

The second circumstance is the even more unlikely event you already used the Burning Blade but are desperate for another equivalent. Thing is, you probably could have just forked out 5pts extra to have a Power Fist or Relic Blade at this point.

So unfortunately this should be a hard pass.

The Standard of Maccragge Inviolate

A great Relic is you're planning on using some close combat options. Let's be honest, as an Ultramarines player you're likely not worried about morale so the reason you'll take this Relic is the bonus to attacks.

Using choices solely in Codex Space Marines and the Supplement you will need to think carefully about how you are going to get the bearer of this standard (the Standard Bearer, if you will) into position alongside your assault forces. Jump Pack models will leave this one behind and units of Vanguard are the ones you will likely be thinking about most for all the special melee weapons they have available.

Of course, there are other options available. A Terminator Ancient is someone who can teleport in just behind the assault force, or alongside Terminators. A big squad of Cataphractii Terminators, for example, will benefit greatly from the attack increase.

There is an argument to be made for an Ancient carrying this model with the footslogging core of your list but personally I think Intercessor squads prefer other supporting characters that help all round with their shooting as well as close combat capacity. Still a reasonable choice and 10 Intercessors have 41 attacks alongside this Banner in the 1st round of combat!

Transport options will be the key here. Deliver this model up close alongside an assault force and you won't care so much about the lack of a bike or Jump Pack.

Special mention goes to the Impulsor which allows a model to move 14", disembark 3", move 6" and likely keep up with any unit you want. Primaris Ancients accompanying Vanguard with Jump Packs are looking to be a likely combination with this Relic.

Other interesting opportunities to deliver the model will be Drop Pods, Storm Ravens and even the good old fashioned Rhino, but these methods require a little more planning.

Armour of Konor

A decent bit of protection for a Terminator clad character. The 4+ Invulnerable save is only really relevant on Librarians and Ancients in Terminator armour since Chaplains and Captains have the same or better.

However, all characters, Captains included, will appreciate the ability it comes with - halving wounds caused per attack. This makes a Captain with Storm Shield quite tricky to put down, but really such a Captain will enjoy the Tarentian Cloak even more.

Take this armour for a Terminator heavy armour as the next item should be your first pick...

Tarentian Cloak

This Relic is just superb! It combines the benefits of an Invulnerable save with an apothecary! Consider it on models without invulnerable saves but who already have a 2+ armour save, or models who have plenty of wounds to take advantage of the free wounds return.

The reason I suggest not placing it on a model with just a 3+ save and 4 or 5 wounds is because the models die fairly easily. Lieutenants of all stripes, even Primaris ones, don't last long on the frontline with just power armour. Captains have more wounds and built in invulnerable saves so can get away with just 5 wounds.

Where this Relic really sings is a Terminator Captain with a 3+ invulnerable, or a Gravis Captain. The former is so well protected it's obnoxious whilst the latter has a massive number of wounds.

Consider the juggernaut that is a Cataphractii Captain that has a Relic blade/chainfist, combi weapon of choice and regenerates D3 wounds a turn.

This Relic is actually my first pick when it comes to protecting characters. Primaris benefit the most since they all have an extra wound over their fellows so there aren't many picks that won't enjoy the Tarentian Cloak, but remember the role of each model before you give this to a model in your list - you might want something more offensive for your Primaris characters. Especially with super snipers.

Put this on your Terminator or Gravis Captain.

Vengeance of Ultramar

People often dislike a gun for a Relic but this one is actually pretty good. Strength 4 and no AP doesn't scream game breaking but hear me out!

This gun re-rolls ALL wounds against anything that isn't a vehicle. Oh and it has 8 shots when rapid firing.

For Ultramarines that means, in the Tactical Doctrine, you can move and fire 24" with 8 AP-1 shots that re-roll wounds. Let me say again; re-roll wounds!

This will help a model carve through infantry from a distance.

Primaris can't use it but really they have fairly good guns already and a selection of Relics in Codex Space Marines to fill any void there anyway. Shame though as this kind of firepower is rare in a Space Marines character, as often it's quality over quantity.

Lots of models can use this Relic but hitting on a 2+ is likely the best way to get the most out of it. Techmarines can be quite a thorn in the side of an opponent with just a 2pt weapon whilst he repairs your Redemptor or Contemptor, or Land Raider, for example.

A decent pick if you don't need the other options available to Ultramarines more. (we really are spoilt for choice)

Helm of Censure

An interesting pick if a little superfluous to our requirements as an Ultramarines player. We get many a re-roll after all.

However, what this does do is allow an over-charged Combi-plasma to re-roll 1s to hit and wound and crucially against Astartes forces, will wound Toughness 7 models on a 2+!

A sniper Primaris could do with this as could anything with a power fist or equivalent. A little skewed against Astartes so this item may see itself relegated to the subs bench or extra Relic. Would you take this over Tarentian Cloak, The Santic Halo or a weapon? Probably not. A spare character with a need to increase its killing potential outside of frequently found re-roll bubbles? Very possible.

Treat this choice as such. If you're already using the choice Relic for the army but want to boost some characters then this is a little pick me up to that end.

As an example, a Chapter Champion is at his most powerful with the Burning Blade and Imperium's Sword Warlord Trait, but if you've used these elsewhere then you can't go far wrong with this boost to his killing potential.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Helm of Censure on a Company/Chapter Champion with Champion of Humanity would be a pretty damn terrifying opponent for any Astartes/Heretic Astartes character!

6 (7+1 for Chapter) attacks hitting on 2s (rerolling) and wounding on at least 3s (rerolling; assuming a T7 character at most) at AP-2, 2D. That's not nothing, especially when they come from 6" away and potentially fight first (if your opponent doesn't realise it). Could really hurt someone who disregards the Champion.

Edited by Kallas

I considered that and may add an amendment to the OP. I considered the Burning Blade to be the top pick on a Chapter Champion alongside The Imperium's Sword but if you are using such things elsewhere then it is a decent choice.

I considered that and may add an amendment to the OP. I considered the Burning Blade to be the top pick on a Chapter Champion alongside The Imperium's Sword but if you are using such things elsewhere then it is a decent choice.

Yeah. Champion of Humanity and Helm of Censure would likely be an army-dependent pick: if you're facing Chaos Soup with a TSons Supreme Command with Ahriman, Daemon Princes, and other HQs elsewhere, it could be pretty nice; or if you're playing vs other Astartes, where he'd be a good counter to enemy Smash Captains/Chaplains.

For more general play, he'd likely be better served with the Burning Blade for sure. But the HoC/CoH combo could be good. Hell, it lets him do an average of 10 wounds to anything T7/4++ - that's a dead TSons Daemon Prince! Basically, a very good headhunter, but not much else!

The Sanctic Halo is pretty much a 2+ save vs anything with AP-1 and only suffers against AP0, which seems to be rarer and rarer. 

The Sanctic Hal, The Tarentian Cloak or Vengeance of Ultramar are probably our best picks, if you aren't including Special Issue stuff. 

I can agree with that, though the force multipler of the Standard of Maccragge Inviolate is pretty good in the right circumstance.

I agree!  I actually really like the relic banner.  I think it can definitely be effective in the manner described by the OP, where you drop it into range of real combat units, but I also think it has significant value in making non-combat oriented units scarier in combat. 

I think it's definitely worth it for a setup like 3x10 Intercessors marching up the field. The auto-pass morale ability is nice when using 10 man units, and hard counters any type of Leadership reducing shenanigans (not that they are common) while further making these units absolute hell to fight in combat.

I've thought about running this (using a CP to gain access) on Ultramarines Successors alongside a Chapter Master with Reliquary of Vengeance and Nobility Made Manifest + Calm Under Fire near 30 Intercessors.

Oh, for sure, in a Veterans list (either Intercessors or Vanguard/Terminators/etc) the Standard of Macragge Inviolate is practically mandatory. My old Victrix list included the old version simply because of how good it was to boost an extra attack on those models, now they are getting even more from Shock Assault and the likes. 

I actually really like vengeance for ultramar. Pair it up with a captain on a bike and then give him the paragon of war warlord trait and just watch the sixes fly out.

The relic banner could be fun with the reliquary special issue wargear. Gives you 2 attacks extra which when compared with the nobility made manifest warlord trait allows for our gunlines to be able to make some decent countercharges.

I have a harder time spending the command points on defense upgrades for characters. It feels like if the game has gotten to the point that they are in the open then there’s enough firepower that they’ll just die either way. But maybe that’s because I don’t take any defense upgrades :D.

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

Could be your play style? You mentioned gunlines which suggests that is the way you play so with the Character rules it probably isn't a requirement for you to have defence wargear.

As an player who likes his characters getting stuck in, I often find I lose a couple wounds through attrition anyway, even against red shirts.

I actually really like vengeance for ultramar. Pair it up with a captain on a bike and then give him the paragon of war warlord trait and just watch the sixes fly out.

Thinking about this - that's a lot of shots! 12 shots, 8 of which re-roll wounds.