Wispy's Blackmanes - 22/07/05

Wispy

I’m interested to learn what model was so eager to spill blood that he started with you. Was it removing the tabards?

Also is the Chaplain’s head from the dreadnought box?

Nothing so exciting. Before my Indomitus box arrived, I was carving the claw iconography and ruby off the Dreadnought's axe (so i could mount them on the Outrider bikes). Was holding it very unsafely while also switching in a fresh blade. By the time I got to cutting out the tabards, I was already stitched up and now own a pair of cut resistant gloves (so theoretically i can be as reckless as I want now!)

Chaplain's head is from Forgeworld Deathsworn. Someone is selling heads individually on Ebay... I suspect they are recasts but having bought a whole Deathsworn squad for my first 5 heads, so I'm not too broken up about it if these heads have some sort of dark origin.

Edited by Wispy

Sorry to hear about your thumb Wispy, 7 stitches is nasty!  I've been thinking about getting some cut resistant gloves, this may be the encouragement I need.

I've been looking at heaps of SW Indomitus conversions to get ideas and yours are definitely the closest to what I'd like to achieve.  I wanted to get rid of and hide the tabards in the midriff, but hadn't worked out a decent way to do it, but those armour panels look good!  They're off MKIII marines?

couple things i tried

1. belt of russ over the midriff on the captain. easiest but can look repetitive real quick because of the knife.

2. i had a spare agressor torso, sawed off the agressor midriff and filed it to fit. worked okay, lots of cutting to get it fitted inside the chaplain... but once i got all the other chaplain gack over it you couldn't even tell whats behimd it.

3. 2 belt buckles - one from TWc kit to go over midriff and a second one from the SW pack. hardest, pissed me off the most to fit, as i had to cut down two buckles from mini marine torsos.

4. mkiii plates. works the most, easiest to slice up. 1 horizontal cut and 2 vertical cuts followed by some filing.

Edited by Wispy

• 4 weeks later...

These look amazing.

I had tried the dread shield also, but can't abide that he is holding the shield out like that, while all the other models poses are so much more dynamic.

I like what you did with the swords, I may need to try it, although I am leaning moe towards axes for mine....

You did well to get rid of the tabards... And hope the finger is healed up now.

• 3 weeks later...

Those all look like Wulfen shields, TA2, except the first, which appears to be a modified Dreadnought shield.

Wispy, good on ya for the "no tabards allowed" rule on those guys! :lol: :tu: They definitely more closely resemble what I'm trying to get my Aettvard to look like - we'll see if mine look anywhere as nice as yours (definitely won't have the heavier aquila adorned breastplate).

Nothing painted for me. Decided to keep building.

Lots of Assault Intercessors, really trying to go classic, hooligan Blood Claw vibe with them. Split them between 5 man squads, one batch will be Blackmanes and the second will be Deathwolves.

Wolfbashing the Bladeguard Ancient wasn't working out at all, so I grabbed Kor'Sarro Khan and kitbashed him. Not sure about the buckle - might mover the round gem to near his shoulder and  put a wolf head on the buckle..

uteQmk0.png

Edited by Wispy

• 1 month later...

From what I see, looks like it's from the FW Space Wolves Legion transfer sheet, has a bunch of knotwork decals.

Excellent decal sheet, I have one for 30k, but sometimes I also steal some for my 40k models.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

• 2 months later...

tGEn3kA.jpg

RhPc6pz.jpg

ebViKPK.jpg

tying up some loose ends from 2020.

Ragnar was really fun to paint, really satisfied how it turned out - took a lot special care. Those last couple of Shadow Spear models... Not so much. "Good enough," I say, happy to be done with them.

Onwards to painting my Indomitus boxset! Starting with Outriders, I think. :)