Wispy's Blackmanes - 22/07/05

Wispy

• 3 weeks later...

Okay! Finished a bunch of stuff! My 5 Infiltrators and a Phobos Rune Priest for the tournament. I've been dragging my butt posting these as getting things up and sized and hosted properly B&C is a bit of a pain.

IWqbFrX.jpg
WUAgS19.jpg
oqUjp9A.jpg

I brought these to Foodhammer. It's a charity tournament. With the spirit of the tournament being on fun more than cutthroat competition, I brought a fluffy fun Deathwolves list

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [50 PL, 1,049pts] ++

+ HQ +

Harald Deathwolf [10 PL, 188pts]: Warlord

Rune Priest in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 103pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 5. Storm Caller, Camo cloak, Runic sword, The Wulfen Stone

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters [4 PL, 104pts]: 5x Chainsword, Wolf Standard
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Power axe
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol
. Grey Hunter with Special Weapon: Bolt pistol, Plasma gun

Infiltrator Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: 4x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Pack Leader: Chainsword

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry [8 PL, 198pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Heavy Support +

Long Fangs [8 PL, 145pts]
. Long Fang: Plasma cannon
. Long Fang Pack Leader: Chainsword, Plasma gun

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 116pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [25 PL, 446pts] ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Phobos Armour [4 PL, 75pts]: The Armour of Russ
. Heavy pistol and combat knife

+ Elites +

Aggressors [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Pack Leader
. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 160pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy flamer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator

Reivers [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes
. 4x Reiver
. Reiver Pack Leader: Bolt carbine, Combat knife, Heavy Bolt Pistol

++ Total: [75 PL, 1,495pts] ++

It went very well! I won the first game against Tyranids by just holding on with one member left in a lot of squads. Long Fangs blowing away a Carnifex everyturn until my Aggressors appeared from On the Hunt and blew every single Hormagaunt off the board with one round of shooting.

Second game was a narrow loss for me and my opponent had a crazy good time, to the point at the end of the day he presented me with a homemade trophy 'William's Favourite Opponent' ! He played a Guard/Primaris Marine army with Celestine and Sly Marbo thrown in. His narrative was that Sly was Celestine's boyfriend, and the story of our game took a crazy turn when I made my one remaining Long Fang a Lone Wolf. Dubbed 'Heimdal', the Lone Wolf single handedly blew up a Stormhawk with his plasma cannon, impressing  Celestine and winning her affections away from Sly. The Catachan wasn't having any of it, and ran out of nowhere and stabbed Heimdal with a knife (losing a wound) before falling back. Heimdal wasn't having any of that and blew him away with his Plasma cannon.

Third game was against Chaos Marines but I was running on fumes unfortunately and was barely holding it together. Between processing rules all day and my introvert brain having to dedicate brain cycles to socializing, I fear I only have two games in the tank. Tournament play is not just for me.

That said, the day was a success! Our team won best Sportsmenship, which given the spirit of the event was a huge honour. I also won Best Painted... OR AT LEAST I WOULD HAVE HAD IT NOT BEEN A TEAM EVENT. My teammates only brought 3 colour armies but I got so many 1st place votes all on my own that I propelled my team into third place in the best painted voting.

Tournament painting done, I am taking a painting break now. Leisurely building myself a new battle leader and having a lot of fun with it, taking my time.

1LQ8lZj.jpg

Edited by Wispy

Jeez, Wispy thats fantastic work. Can't say I'm a big fan of the whole Primaris thing myself, but if GW ever get around to Chapter specific nu-marines, they could do with trying to capture the feel and aesthetics that you so brilliantly done here. Hats off to you my brother.

• 3 weeks later...

happy new years to you too!

it's petey's technique, really.

i'll make a cape layer first and let it cure (sometimes a midel has a cape or loin cloth to pit something on, where you can skip this stuff). after that cures, i put a thin layer of green stuff on the surface of the cape to give the fur something to stick to. then i roll little tiny ovals (the hair tufts) and place them in rows starting with the bottom row and working up to a top row.

to make the little tiny tufts i'll shave the pieces with my nail or an exacto and then roll it between my fingers. then i'll place them on the cape with a pin (wife has a box of thin quilting pins thst i uses for this.

the smaller the hair tufts, the better it looks, but the longer it takes.

Edited by Wispy