Well ...i tried to paint RavenGuard, then i tried Raptors (not too bad attempt) but then that dropped by the wayside...
I still really love the RavenGuard chapter and all it's sneakiness so when the new dex dropped and the idea of a raven guard supplement coming with decals etc it rekindled some of the embers that were on the back burner... but what to do
well along comes Paul Norton of GW's Eavy Metal team with a smashingly good Raven Guard successor chapter that is surprisingly easier to paint than i thought :blush.:
here's a model i'd already started with a Leadbelcher armour layer and just added his extra colours to it...

med_gallery_9146_2675_312607.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by Mumeishi
Title change

The Iron Ravens Reiver looks great, but the colors aren't stealthy, and the name inevitably invites comparisons to Ferrus Manus' sons.

They remind me more of the Astral Claws or even the Iron Warriors.

And none of that matters.

Chapters aren't beholden to follow the lead of their progenitors, as evidenced by Chapters such as the Mortifactors, Black Templars, and Mantis Warriors. The games rules representing stealthiness don't limit the color palette that a hobbyist uses for their army - it's entirely conceivable for someone to paint a stealthy army hot pink with neon yellow polka dots.

Similarly, the Blood Ravens Chapter has name elements that draws upon the Blood Angels and Raven Guard Legion, yet there is a strong likelihood that they are descended from neither. While name elements might be common within certain lineages, they are never limited to Chapters descended from the same Legion.

The Iron Ravens model is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see a full army.

The Iron Ravens Reiver looks great, but the colors aren't stealthy, and the name inevitably invites comparisons to Ferrus Manus' sons.

Jump Packs, Drop Pods and Thunderhawks aren't stealthy either but the Raven Guard use them all.

And then of course you have those oh so stealthy coloured successors the Flame Eagles and Imperial Talons, no-ones going to see bright yellow or red are they.

Like Brother Tyler said successors are tied to the Founding Chapter and stealth can come in many forms.

Love it mithril!

When I saw Paul Norton's Ravens, I loved the scheme. Both them, the Necropolis Hawks, and the Rift Stalkers are striking additions, and I dig the scheme. Got an Iron Patriot vibe going on for sure!

With regards to the scheme and stealth, pulled directly from the WarCom article Brother Tyler posted:

"My Iron Ravens are an all-Primaris successor Chapter – mainly because I wanted an excuse to paint some Primaris Space Marines! They share the genetic legacy of Corax’s Raven Guard but don’t fight in exactly the same way. Many of them would have fought as Unnumbered Sons during the early years of the Indomitus Crusade, so will have picked up a thing or two from the other Space Marines they fought alongside, making them more flexible. It’s not just about stealth with the Iron Ravens – they gather intelligence to adapt to whatever situation or enemy they’re facing. To my mind, they’re well-rounded enough that I can use them however I want, without having to limit myself to the same two Successor Tactics."

With regards to the scheme and stealth, pulled directly from the WarCom article Brother Tyler posted:

"My Iron Ravens are an all-Primaris successor Chapter – mainly because I wanted an excuse to paint some Primaris Space Marines! They share the genetic legacy of Corax’s Raven Guard but don’t fight in exactly the same way. Many of them would have fought as Unnumbered Sons during the early years of the Indomitus Crusade, so will have picked up a thing or two from the other Space Marines they fought alongside, making them more flexible. It’s not just about stealth with the Iron Ravens – they gather intelligence to adapt to whatever situation or enemy they’re facing. To my mind, they’re well-rounded enough that I can use them however I want, without having to limit myself to the same two Successor Tactics."

This is a good find.

Thanks for the likes and feedback, Paul's are strictly "Primaris only" and i can understand that completely for obvious reasons :sweat: 

but i want to try and make some fluff so i can add "First Born" to my army... i have had a Stormraven primed and ready for a couple years now just waiting for the Ultimate decision of which chapter to actually paint it in :laugh.: also a StormTalon and some dakka Centurions which i think will look great in this scheme...and a squad of Mark IV that will look awesome as well ...

i have to finish some necrons for the ETL then it's onto these guys...

Cheers, Mithril

P.S. what does everyone think of the thunderhawk blue bases?!... my other choice was death world forest, I'm sticking with the sector mechanicus bases for the whole army (they have a great variety of sizes now!!) and they're easy to paint fast :tongue.:      

Not much really but an update to say but for those who know of my, shall we say..butterfly ways! that i'm continuing... :tongue.:

Whilst watching necron paint dry last night, i decided to start working on an intercessor as well so i grabbed a half painted push together and tried out the new Citadel paint...

"IRON HANDS STEEL" it goes on quite smooth and required only 2 x thin coats :wink: to cover over the red and yellow colors that were previously put on:facepalm: ...

then washed with the Magic 50/50 Combo of -Nuln oil Gloss / Nuln oil, the blue and gold are just one coat at present.

happy to say it is a quick process so far :thumbsup:

med_gallery_9146_2675_505247.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Glad to hear the Iron Hands Steel went on well. It was originally a FW paint and was designed to serve as part of the airbrush line so I imagine its consistency is quite smooth. Good to hear that it sounds like the formulas didnt change much (I have a few of the old FW pots and was worried that the new GW-variants would get changed - in consistency or tone).

Looks great Mithril!

Weren't you meant to be focusing on your IG again though? Asking for a commissar :wink::laugh.:

You keep worrying about your fellow guardsman and not cleaning your Kantrael Pattern M36 Lasrifle, and you'll end up needing saved by some sable armored super soldiers from Deliverance :wink.:

On 8/29/2019 at 12:32 PM, Dracos said:

how do you do your gold chest aquilas? I'm okay with mine but like yours, so curious :smile.:

As Paul Norton would probably say...stupidly easy...

Base of Retributor then a light wash of reikland and touch up with retributor again, for characters i'm going to work up to stormhost as a final highlight

... And that's it   

I better get my groove on cause i soooo want to paint Shrike up in these colours  as a reward for finishing stuff :tongue.:

cheers, Mithril

Edited by Mumeishi

• 4 years later...

Thanks guys,

Now I really have to put stuff up if Duz has slapped me with the Chaplains Gauntlet....   

but @duz_ if it's you internet shaming me shouldn't that be a Commissar ?!?... :tongue:

:sweat: A slightly embarrassed, M 

First finished model, I started him the other day , he’s from the season 4 Primaris killteam blind boxes, going to paint the whole team up as Iron Ravens . 

brother Decian: 

IMG_8893.thumb.jpeg.01c64966649cef45b8a73cb6dc9c7db1.jpeg

cheers, M