Raziel-TX's Dark Angels

Raziel-TX

Apothecary almost all done. Also, first time using flock (picked originally for WW2 US and German paras). Pretty darn happy with the results. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome. 

That is a well done model! Texture and coloring really draws the eye. The beakie helmet has to be the part I love the most.

The base is awesome and utilizes a scheme a lot of us shy from. Excellent use of flock and debris. Very nice job brother, very nice!

• 1 month later...

Some WIP of my “tech” primaris Marine’s helmet. One good/bad thing with taking these photos is that all your stray marks and mold lines pop out at you. Haha. Thanks for looking!

gallery_19551_15776_114024.jpeg

Starting to wrap this guy up. Some minor stray brush marks to clean up but overall pretty happy with this motivator. Comments are always welcome.

gallery_19551_15776_71980.jpeg

gallery_19551_15776_65853.jpeg

gallery_19551_15776_208762.jpeg

Random question. Anyone know how to change a thread title? Would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Edited by Raziel-TX

Hey folks. Hope ya’ll are enjoying the weekend. I managed to get a bit more time in with the tech Marine.

gallery_19551_15776_1086236.jpeg

Still working out the pose and such.
gallery_19551_15776_899807.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Howdy folks,

Some more work on this little guy. Overall pretty happy for the most part...well except for the whole axe thing. Didn't turn out the way I really wanted to, but I also think that I'm at that point that if I were to keep trying to work it, it will come out worse. Have to know when to cut your losses.

gallery_19551_15776_553922.jpeg

Raz, have you considered stripping the axe? If it's plastic it should be fairly easy to do, even of it's already glued in place. Would mean you could have another go without the paint getting too thick. =]

Ed; I can't type.

Edited by pawl

Pawl-If I could isolate the axe head and strip that part only, I would be all in. All ears as to how to tackle that!

I wrote a little guide to stripping models here that might be some use. Instead of soaking the whole model you could try soaking a cotton pad (like you would use to remove makeup or nail varnish) and squeezing it so that it sticks to the axe head (maybe use masking tape to help stop any running elsewhere?) and let that sit for a bit. After that using an old toothbrush or cotton bud (q-tip if American) should take the paint right off.

No guarantees obviously, but both the acetone (metal) and IPA (plastic) work surprisingly fast.

Edit: just checked again and the axe head wouldn't be quite so easy to isolate, but the chemicals themselves still work. A cotton pad for the edges to help loosen the paint, and a cotton bud (soaked again) to work towards the middle, perhaps?

Edited by pawl

Not at all, please let me know how you get on! If you have any trouble let me know, and I'll see if I can't find a solution. =]

As a thought, perhaps using blutac or similar around the head would prevent taking paint off where you don't want to.

Edited by pawl