How will the Psychic Awakening affect the Grey Knights?

Ichar

How does Armored Resilience and Transhuman Physiology interact? From all the screenshots I've read I have not seen anything saying they don't stack, but that seems like it would be completely OP

Nothing ever stacks with TP, as it cancels all modifiers and always makes a wound roll successful on a 4+.

Nothing ever stacks with TP, as it cancels all modifiers and always makes a wound roll successful on a 4+.

Not exactly. It makes rolls of 1, 2 and 3 always fail. This means that if you stak THP and AR on a single unit, weapons with strength of 5+ will wound your unit on a roll of 4+ (including those that always wounds on 2+ or 3+), weapons with S4 will wound you on 5+ and weapons with S3 will wound you on 6+.

How does Armored Resilience and Transhuman Physiology interact? From all the screenshots I've read I have not seen anything saying they don't stack, but that seems like it would be completely OP

The other way around, it makes a natural roll of 1-3 always fail. It won't make lasguns wound on a 4+.

But yeah, they don't stack. Take a S5 weapon like a heavy bolter; it would normally wound on a 3+. With the -1 to wound from Armoured Resilience, it would require a 4+ to wound, so unmodified rolls of 1-3 already fail. TP won't change that. And for S8+ weapons, AR would reduced the 2+ to a 3+, and TP would make that 3 fail as well. But using TP alone would give the same effect.

The only case where having both is useful if when you're being targetted by both high strength and massed low strength fire. AR would still make a lasgun only wound a on a 6, regardless if TP is active or not.

Edited by RedemptionNL

Quick questions. I saw somewhere that GMNDK’s have the Dreadnaught Keyword. Is it in an FAQ or something?

Also it seems that there is divergent opinions for the combo stratagem + sanctuary on purifiers. Do they hey 3++ or 4++ in the end? Any certitude on that?

Quick questions. I saw somewhere that GMNDK’s have the Dreadnaught Keyword. Is it in an FAQ or something?

No, they're definitely not Dreadnoughts. They do have the (Nemesis) Dreadknight keyword, for stratagems like Overwhelming Assault, perhaps you're confusing those two.

Also it seems that there is divergent opinions for the combo stratagem + sanctuary on purifiers. Do they hey 3++ or 4++ in the end? Any certitude on that?

I can't see why it wouldn't be a 3++. With Warding Staves on top of that, you could even make it effectively a 2++ in the Fight phase I believe.

The other way around, it makes a natural roll of 1-3 always fail. It won't make lasguns wound on a 4+.

But yeah, they don't stack. Take a S5 weapon like a heavy bolter; it would normally wound on a 3+. With the -1 to wound from Armoured Resilience, it would require a 4+ to wound, so unmodified rolls of 1-3 already fail. TP won't change that. And for S8+ weapons, AR would reduced the 2+ to a 3+, and TP would make that 3 fail as well. But using TP alone would give the same effect.

The only case where having both is useful if when you're being targetted by both high strength and massed low strength fire. AR would still make a lasgun only wound a on a 6, regardless if TP is active or not.

I think I got it. So effectively the only trade-off is AR will make S4 wound on 5+, but S8/S9 would be a 3+. But TP would have S4 still on 4s, and S8 also on 4s. So no stacking but both used together still protect from different effects. Edited by zero88

In fear of double posting, I’ve started with some basic units and ordered two terminator squads, a DK and a strike squad.

I’ll be expanding the army eventually but I wanted to ask the forum for guidance on what to buy.

Would you recommend terminators as troops or go straight for strike squads? I’ll be building 10 Paladins just for fun, as well as a chaplain.

What’s the general view on Purgation Squads?

Interceptors certainly look fun, I’ll build at least one 10 men squad.

I’ve read many different takes about which units are viable, often times being contradicting even, so I hope you don’t mind me asking. :D

Thanks in advance!

The four Riders of Apocalypse of Warhammer naming:

1) Death Guard, Deathwatch, Death Company;

2) Interceptors, Intercessors, Inceptors;

3) Dreadnoughts, Dreadknights;

4) Palanite, Palatine.

Would you recommend terminators as troops or go straight for strike squads? I’ll be building 10 Paladins just for fun, as well as a chaplain.

What’s the general view on Purgation Squads?

Interceptors certainly look fun, I’ll build at least one 10 men squad.

1) Strikes are certainly competitive and still probably our most efficient unit. Terminators are a bit more tricky to use. You can make the wall of characters out of 10 with defensive buffs or use 2x5 or 3x5 as midfield objective holders. They will need some dedicated fire to be removed and will clear any chaff and stray enemy objective grabbers. I don't think, that Termies are truly competitive, but they are absolutely no longer a trash they were before. I'd get a couple of squads just cause they are awesome. Paladins seem to be competitive as a very strong and dangerous distraction carnifex/character screen. You will certainly will find a place for them if you want.

2) Without doubt, purgators are useful. But it is really hard to measure their effectiveness thorugh Mathhammer only or through 2-3 games. They need excessive testing. Opinions are contradictory right now if they are should be used at all and what weapons are best. I think, they are solid but requires a bit too much investment for what they are doing. But they certainly have a place. For equipment - you will generally want psycannons over psilencers, but I'd have at least one psilencer squad, because there are several cases where they will outperform psycannons. Keep in mind, however, that our weapons are still trash outside Tide of Convergence.

3) Interceptors are still one of our best units if not the best. They are cheap, mobile and versatile. You'll want at least 10. Some lists suggests 30 and I can understand why.

But, in general, you can by and build whatever you want. You will want at least one of each HQ and I don't think, that you will need more. You will need at least 15 strikes to fll minimal battalion requirements, but 30 strikes is more reliable way, since you will burn CP quickly. We probably has only single unit that you will never want to field unless for the sake of fielding it. It is basic dreadknight. They just don't do anything that other units can't do. Unless you like them that much that you want field 3 GMNKDs and 3 NDKs, just use them as GMNDK.

This is true only for casual games of course. It will take some time, before we figure out how to build competitive GK. But after CA2019 and PA5 there is only single complete trash unit in the codex. so feel free to get whatever you like the most.

Thanks for the insights, Corvus! That helps tremendously. I will build the first box as regular strike squads to get the minimum amount of troops for a battalion on the way, and then most definitely get some Interceptors. Teleportation is just fun.

I was thinking Psycannons on the Purgation Squad, but Psilencers have damage D3, which can turn out to be interesting. Perhaps I’ll sprinkle some Psilencers into the Strike Squads for good measure.

Thanks again, your feedback has been most helpful. Waiting for an airbrush set to start practicing those NFW!

Perhaps I’ll sprinkle some Psilencers into the Strike Squads for good measure.

I don't think, that strikes will need special weapons. They lose their close combat weapons and will hit on 4+ when on move. And strikes are often on move. I would give it to max 2 squads that will sit on objectives and won't move much. But psycannon would be better at this situation, since they are just better generalist choice. Psilencers are better on single purgation or paladin squad. But if you like the look and just want to take them, you won't shoot yourself in leg by doing it.

I wouldn't overequip strikes. And falchions stack up quickly. A squad with 5 falchions is almost the same cost as a squad with psycannon but no falchions. If you are planning to get strikes into close combat, then yes, the falchions are the best choice, but Justicar will be ok with halberd, since he is already 2 attacks base. After Shock Assault and price hike falchions are not strictly better than swords or halberds. Same as with heavy weapons - 1 or 2 squads with 4 pairs of falchions. Maybe 3 if you are going 6x5. Combining a heavy weapns and falchions in the same squad also doesn't look like a good idea.

Falchions are best on interceptors since they are very likely to engage in close combat.

The new powers seem a bit meh but the libby relics are cool

Interesting...

- one allows you to switch among the best bonuses GW gave to us;

- one covers our historical lack of CP recovery;

- one looks meh but actually allows combos like using twice the psybolt ammunition in the same turn;

- one deals a ridiculous amount of MWs on the target;

- one imposes the malus to wound which is something this whole community was asking for in alternance with cover or malus to hit (and actually GW gave us *all of the three*);

- the last one OK, is actually meh since a thing we don't lack are the reroll auras to hit :P

To me, judging "meh" combo powers and spells that go to easily cover our weaknesses looks like a superficial view of them ;)

Just tried out ALL the new rules today, extremely effective especially against other CC armies, will definitely be staying with "Tide of convergence" and as I said, I would recommend "Tide of convergence" for CC armies mainly. I am very grateful GW keep it up!