How will the Psychic Awakening affect the Grey Knights?

Ichar

Note that I've changed the title from the very ephemeral (and now not applicable) title of a reveal for a "tomorrow" that has long passed to the actual topic of the discussion - how the Psychic Awakening event might affect the Grey Knights.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So far its been one model release per book after the first, so Primaris Azrael and nothing for the two factions that really need stuff is the minimum. A serious GK release would come with a codex no a campaign book (or at least a whole book to yourself like chaos got in Vigilus Ablaze, which allegedly came alongside a codex anyway).

Will at least come with stuff worth spending CP on though. 1cp stratagems are pretty common in the other books and transhuman physiology will be very good on paladins.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

A serious GK release would come with a codex no a campaign book

PA4 IS new codex book for GK. Look at Blood Angels. GK will not get anything besides PA until 9th edition hits. 

My predictions is that the most of the book will be dedicated to Dark Angels, while GKs getting bunch of useless stratagems, which will affect mostly demons in ineffective ways like dealing 1 mortal wound 1 4+ for 2 CP to a daemon character if he's nearest, so no one would care. Several warlord traits and relics compeletly out of synergy with our army. No new psychic powers. No access to combat doctrines, no access to special issue wargear.

This is my bet, but if GK somehow become tier 2 army after PA, I'll even get interceptors box. But I'm pretty sure, I won't need it.

Edited by Corvus Fortis

New Draigo seems likely. Please no Primaris.

It's about one new model per PA event, so it's more likely a new Primaris DA character. TS are already all new models, and our "new" Voldus came out in just 2017.

So next installment involves Thousand Sons, Dark angels and Grey Knights. So it would seem we will be facing the psychic power house of the chaos faction, should be interesting to see how we counter the Thousand sons in terms of powers and abilitiers. The inclusion of the Dark Angels is a bit of a surprise though.

Some people were speculating GKs would be bundled with another Imperium faction for our specific PA event (GK models without Primaris option simply isn't warranted enough for a lone, dedicated rules update). The part where we are put in the same event with TS increases the chances that we will get something "psychically unique" as GW would have "psyker rules" on the brain, rather than as more of an afterthought...well theoretically. Maybe DA will get their Combat Doctrine fix, while we get something more "distinct".

Also, fluff-wise will our Grey Knights have another round against Magnus the Red? We already took down Angron and Mortarion once, is it time to add another Daemon Primarch to our tally? I hear it's been a while since Draigo was able to practice his penmanship. :whistling:

Edited by Waking Dreamer

I think it will definitely be cool to see both psyker armies get a little something. Perhaps full smite for Grey Knight Characters?

A second psychic discipline would be great, and something forseeable I think, and could help us out if only to give us more versatility. With (so for only rumored) Chapter Approved points drops an extra unit or two with new powers could help balance things out a little. Chaplain Litanies, and a Lieutenant equivalent aura somewhere could bring us closer to par with other Marines.

I wouldn't expect a Combat Doctrine, as GK are as far from Codex Marines as it gets, but hopefully something to bring our existing rules up to date.

I think it will definitely be cool to see both psyker armies get a little something. Perhaps full smite for Grey Knight Characters?

A second psychic discipline would be great, and something forseeable I think, and could help us out if only to give us more versatility. With (so for only rumored) Chapter Approved points drops an extra unit or two with new powers could help balance things out a little. Chaplain Litanies, and a Lieutenant equivalent aura somewhere could bring us closer to par with other Marines.

I wouldn't expect a Combat Doctrine, as GK are as far from Codex Marines as it gets, but hopefully something to bring our existing rules up to date.

Personally, I agree about the Combat Doctrine incompatibility with GK on a conceptual level. It was mentioned in another forum, but someone brought up the idea of a Psychic Doctrine rather than the Combat Doctrine for our GK, which instead of buffing us T1-T3 - does so every psychic phase. The fact that we are bundled together with TSons, the premier Psykers of Chaos (and GW would want to buff them in a way different to Combat Doctrines), they may want use that system on us as well. 

Personally, I agree about the Combat Doctrine incompatibility with GK on a conceptual level. It was mentioned in another forum, but someone brought up the idea of a Psychic Doctrine rather than the Combat Doctrine for our GK, which instead of buffing us T1-T3 - does so every psychic phase. The fact that we are bundled together with TSons, the premier Psykers of Chaos (and GW would want to buff them in a way different to Combat Doctrines), they may want use that system on us as well. 

My thoughts exactly. I reckon we'll see a re-work of how these armies function, in regards to the Psychic phase.

My thoughts exactly. I reckon we'll see a re-work of how these armies function, in regards to the Psychic phase.

I've been turning this in my head of what's most likely to happen. so kind of listing them as most likely to possible least likely and I'm dreaming:

Most likely:

1: litanies: we are the only faction that doesn't have a choice of litanies 

2: Mono faction bonus: My bet is the +1 for deny the witch and casting our psychic powers will be defined as our monofaction bonus which will be viewed from the community as what it will be... a nerf but my thought is that GW won't see it that way. 

Possible (to a strong degree):

1: New stratagems: I could see 2-3 but I don't think we are the focus of this. One stratagem I could see falling is you could take a small detachment of GK's and the armies as a whole are still considered mono faction similar to inquisition but with the cost of a strat due to being able to take more then just one unit. 

2: New Psychic powers: Still focused on removing daemons because GK's don't fight any other faction fluff wise. GK's are a fluff army with no other purpose in GW's eyes.  I feel like the fluff of GK's fighting SW's and basically losing was to point out to the GK players they should not be fighting any other faction other then Daemons or to a degree CSM. 

3: Warlord Trait: putting this here only because it's a common theme from other books

Least likely (but still outside possible):

1: ?New model?: I see this slightly outside as stronger then dreaming. However I would assume that this would only update a model from finecast to full plastic. This includes Draigo, Stern, crowe, and Brother Capt

Dreaming:

1: Changing any core rules: This would include changing our baby smite to something more useful

2: Brand new never before seen model: This is going to be a serious focus of 1K Sons and DA with GK's supporting, if anyone gets a new model it will most likely be DA and then maybe 1K sons. 

I've been turning this in my head of what's most likely to happen. so kind of listing them as most likely to possible least likely and I'm dreaming:

Most likely:

2: Mono faction bonus: My bet is the +1 for deny the witch and casting our psychic powers will be defined as our monofaction bonus which will be viewed from the community as what it will be... a nerf but my thought is that GW won't see it that way. 

If we follow previous SM mono faction bonuses....these only occur as a bonus to the Combat Doctrine system. They have also kept their original Chapter Tactic equivalent, while getting a bonus 2nd part to it for "free". 

Even if we dont get access to Combat Doctrines (not impossible), then that would mean GW would take our Brotherhood of Psykers ability (a standard battle-forge army rule) away, even if we ally in say just one Assassin model...??

Most likely:

If we follow previous SM mono faction bonuses....these only occur as a bonus to the Combat Doctrine system. They have also kept their original Chapter Tactic equivalent, while getting a bonus 2nd part to it for "free". 

Even if we dont get access to Combat Doctrines (not impossible), then that would mean GW would take our Brotherhood of Psykers ability (a standard battle-forge army rule) away, even if we ally in say just one Assassin model...??

I wouldn't put it past GW to do something like this. 

Most likely:

I wouldn't put it past GW to do something like this.

There are two ways GW could go with GK, it could either be the:

1. Blood Angels update route

Or

2. Chaos SM / Legion update.

I bet, after seeing how overpowered are SM, they will be very cautious this time and we will be tier 2 army at best. Until other armies will be updated too, and we will return straight to the bottom.

I think the book was probably written before Marines were released - die to printing times the lead times on released is huge.

I'm quietly hopeful GK get Doctrines - if they get the BA treatment I think that should slingshot them into a mid to upper mid tier codex. I sold my GK army when I got back into 8th, and I'd love to redo them.

I bet, after seeing how overpowered are SM, they will be very cautious this time and we will be tier 2 army at best. Until other armies will be updated too, and we will return straight to the bottom.

I think the book was probably written before Marines were released - die to printing times the lead times on released is huge.

I'm quietly hopeful GK get Doctrines - if they get the BA treatment I think that should slingshot them into a mid to upper mid tier codex. I sold my GK army when I got back into 8th, and I'd love to redo them.

Hypothetically, if we consider GKs receiving Doctrines, when would our "super doctrine" activation be the most beneficial for the GKs play style ?

I'm thinking either the assault or tactical doctrine, but not sure which would ultimately be better. Blood Angels is Assault with+1 attack in the first round of combat...So scratch that possibility for GK, but would could ours be?

Apart from psychic powers, our army is unique in that almost all our options can deep strike without the necessary aid of a transport via drop pod. We MIGHT see a return of the first-turn deep strike assaults we used to take for granted. We might also see new doctrines that might benefit our psychic powers or grant new powers but we wont know until more information becomes available.

I can see us getting a psychic buff (possibly the ability to cast the same power more than once without penalty), a buff to our shooting (would like to see the ability to take tactical doctrine from T1) and maybe a buff to our terminators.

What we won't get is T1 deep strike. That would unbalance the game so much that anyone who plays GK and gets 1st turn will be in a very overpowered position.