Devastators with Heavy Bolters

casb1965

Have Heavy Bolter armed devastators become a good option for us.

At 36" range we now have 3 shots per model,  ignores cover, 2 hits on a 6, Str5 , AP -2 (heavy doctrine) , D1, throw in a captain and lieutenant for reroll 1s to hit and wound that is a lot of pain at long range.

Edited by casb1965

I discovered this very thing last night

Played against a Ultramarine list and found that thanks to our new and improved chapter tactics I could pour out a weight of bolter fire with Devastator Heavy bolters and terminator storm bolters that opposing marines have a hard time keeping up with. 

Am also considering a pair of whirlwinds for no cover AP2 barrages

I mean... yeah this is decent. But I like to reserve my heavy support options for anti-heavy duties personally. I would rather have some quad lascannon predators than the devs with heavy bolters. You'll get some good usage out of them for sure but I think Bolter Aggressors might be a better option for anti-infantry. Imperial Fist bolter Aggressors will shred infantry. But I do see that you're trying to use them them with the heavy doctrine. 

I suppose I would take them to a friendly game though. They can unleash a good amount of suppression fire which can help setup assault units.

I mean... yeah this is decent. But I like to reserve my heavy support options for anti-heavy duties personally. I would rather have some quad lascannon predators than the devs with heavy bolters. You'll get some good usage out of them for sure but I think Bolter Aggressors might be a better option for anti-infantry. Imperial Fist bolter Aggressors will shred infantry. But I do see that you're trying to use them them with the heavy doctrine. 

I suppose I would take them to a friendly game though. They can unleash a good amount of suppression fire which can help setup assault units.

Ya, i would not go crazy with this option but a dev squad with 4 heavy bolters and a couple extra bodies are not extremely expensive, and sometimes your opponent wont consider them a large enough of a threat to make them a priority. While aggressors tend to always be a priority. 

Ya, i would not go crazy with this option but a dev squad with 4 heavy bolters and a couple extra bodies are not extremely expensive, and sometimes your opponent wont consider them a large enough of a threat to make them a priority. While aggressors tend to always be a priority. 

Fair point. They also have longer range and get their bonus starting on the first turn. You've changed my mind good sir/mam. Three units of these could be very very powerful indeed.

Also... they're bolt weapons so they get bolter drill rules and look damn cool. I suppose you could use other options to take out the big stuff. Like this:

[HQ] Lieutenant w/ Jump Pack 

3 Quad Lascannon Predators

3 Devastator Squads (4 Heavy Bolters)

Edited by Aothaine

• 5 weeks later...
Ironclad Dreadnought. HK Missiles, and maybe Heavy Flamer in Devastator doctrine, if your opponent drops someone in your face. Hurricane Bolter for sure in Tactical Doctrine, and maybe the Meltagun, if you took that instead. The Cainfist will be brutal during Assault Doctrine.

also, if you are taking 3 heavy bolter dev squads, don't forget the ancient nearby for support.  Lord knows once they fire first turn your enemy will be wanting them gone for sure, so being able to have that ancient and them being able to fire as they take losses will be handy as well.   

Just on a lark with my heretical silver Imperial fist army I hopefully will be playing this weekend in a PUG, instead of a dedicated devastator squad with heavy bolters, I am fielding 4 min sized tactical squads each with a heavy bolter and storm bolter. Yeah it costs more than a dev squad but it fills four of my 6 troop slots and doesn't take up a heavy slot that I have grav devs, a pred, and a deredeo in. Also can contest objectives and is just as durable as a dev squad, plus gets a nice AP boost on the 2nd turn tactical doctrine(which I am betting will get something cool come the supplement)

I might be incredibly wrong but i'd sooner take an attack bikes squad than devastators for pure h.bolters.

At (almost) equal points it's 16W T5 vs 8W T4 (and more importantly each H.bolter has 4 wounds instead of 1[/2 if counting the ablative guys]).And M14 + turboboost vs M6 (you never know when not being glued to the ground might come useful)

And as far as firepower goes it comes down to 4 extra Twin linked bolters VS 4 normal ones

The only advantage for devs is that they have the signum and cherub (yeah,that's not exactly small stuff but it doesn't seem AS good when not using it on heavier weapons)

Edited by Fenriwolf

I might be incredibly wrong but i'd sooner take an attack bikes squad than devastators for pure h.bolters.

At (almost) equal points it's 16W T5 vs 8W T4 (and more importantly each H.bolter has 4 wounds instead of 1[/2 if counting the ablative guys]).And M14 + turboboost vs M6 (you never know when not being glued to the ground might come useful)

And as far as firepower goes it comes down to 4 extra Twin linked bolters VS 4 normal ones

The only advantage for devs is that they have the signum and cherub (yeah,that's not exactly small stuff but it doesn't seem AS good when not using it on heavier weapons)

This would be a decent option for White Scars. A little bit less so for Imperial Fists. Not bad though, just fills a different role. Has merit. :D

I mean,you can keep them in the exact same role of devastators,sitting still in the backline.Weapon's the same after all so you don't lose anything from that :teehee:

This obviously discarding how that works thematically (but the 6th company is still a thing).

Probably scars use them a bit better as of now but i'm not so sure if our rumors end up being true

Edited by Fenriwolf