New Codex Lore - Stalker

Iron Father Ferrum

I was reading some of the fluff sections and the Stalker entry says the Iron Hands love it because of the rapid predictive calculations it's cogitators make.

I also like the tank for T8, 11 wounds, high rate of fire, and its new stratagem. Any thoughts from the Clan Council on this?

Always wanted a good excuse/reason for one, but prior to now I’ve not really rated it. But same as you, the stratagem and fluff’s swayed me somewhat. Torn between this and a Whirlwind.

A Stalker looks like an attractive choice now if you see lots of FLY stuff like jetbikes or jump troops. It probably won’t make much of a dent against Eldar flyer spam so we’ll have to wait for the FAQ to adjust that.

At least it isn’t an obvious handicap to take one or two now! Exciting times.

A Stalker looks like an attractive choice now if you see lots of FLY stuff like jetbikes or jump troops. It probably won’t make much of a dent against Eldar flyer spam so we’ll have to wait for the FAQ to adjust that.

At least it isn’t an obvious handicap to take one or two now! Exciting times.

Au contraire. It's *made* for killing Eldar flyers. With the strat, they're hitting Supersonic Alaitoc flyers on 3+ (4+ if they use Lightning Reflexes) and wounding on 2+ (they are T6, right? I forget) with -2AP on Dev Doc. Oh, and four damage per hit with the strat, too.

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

Oh you’ll definitely hurt an Eldar flyer, but probably not kill it with one Stalker. Two will be needed, three more probably, but then you’re investing a lot more and the strat can only be used on one.

It’s definitely better than it was, but now it’s also competing with the Thunderfire Cannon in the same price bracket and org slot which got twice as good as before, too. I would love to see it mow down a squad of jetbikes and shoot planes out of the sky.

The new codex gave us more options that are viable which is the best thing we could’ve asked for. Bring two to a game and see what happens.

As long as you know you'll see flyers or at least multiwound models with fly, it's going to be awesome. Hitting that on 2s, or even damaged on 3s with 6 shots autocannon has its impact agaibst T6.

Just the default non-fly targeting frankly sucks. The equivalent of one autocannon HWS is nothing to write home about, the upside being that IH stalkers at least don't degrade until almost dead. Shooting at ork grade BS is frankly useless, compared to our other options.

Oh you’ll definitely hurt an Eldar flyer, but probably not kill it with one Stalker. Two will be needed, three more probably, but then you’re investing a lot more and the strat can only be used on one.

It’s definitely better than it was, but now it’s also competing with the Thunderfire Cannon in the same price bracket and org slot which got twice as good as before, too. I would love to see it mow down a squad of jetbikes and shoot planes out of the sky.

The new codex gave us more options that are viable which is the best thing we could’ve asked for. Bring two to a game and see what happens.

Yes, but both are so cheap! It's totally worth it to bring both and bring multiples!

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading some of the fluff sections and the Stalker entry says the Iron Hands love it because of the rapid predictive calculations it's cogitators make.

I also like the tank for T8, 11 wounds, high rate of fire, and its new stratagem. Any thoughts from the Clan Council on this?

Lol I love your profile picture.

Deredeos are elites, aren't they?

I have a hunter and I use it a lot. I love that thing, and it's value is worth more than it looks like on paper.  I like to think of it as a tac squad with a las cannon, only cheaper, twice as tough, and twice as many wounds.  But it's secondary uses are...

-deploying forward for mortal wound soaker.

-moveable wall to deny LoS and protect my infantry.

-charging any deep strikers and such to lock them down in combat.

Deredeos are elites, aren't they?

I have a hunter and I use it a lot. I love that thing, and it's value is worth more than it looks like on paper.  I like to think of it as a tac squad with a las cannon, only cheaper, twice as tough, and twice as many wounds.  But it's secondary uses are...

-deploying forward for mortal wound soaker.

-moveable wall to deny LoS and protect my infantry.

-charging any deep strikers and such to lock them down in combat.

Yeah, Deredeo Dreadnoughts are elites. Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnoughts are Heavy Support (and non-Relic to boot!). Maybe MegaVolt meant Leviathans, which are a relic Heavy Support?