Playing your legion the wrong way

Mogsam

I have an Iron Hands Clan in my head with an emphasis on fast-attack. Assault and despoiler squads.

Maybe look up their 3rd edition lore that describes the defence of Medusa during the 13th Black Crusade, there's a cool moment in the pivotal battle where Iron Hands assault squads descend from their mobile Clan fortresses and tear apart massed Traitor tanks. Plus the Iron Hands' -1 Str against ranged attacks means Bikes & Jetbikes can be very durable (particularly the latter as you'll wanna keep them at range anyway).

I think a fast Death Guard army using the Reaping would work. Assault squads with rad-grenades and move through cover would be great. Backed up by a javelin squadron, and skyslayer jetbikes (with attached character on bike). sprinkle in some apothecaries with jumpacks to go with the assault squads, add some Destroyers, and some contemptors/Leviathans/deredo and away you go. Not very fluffy but probably quite tasty.

Edited by spinitron

My traitor Salamanders were a mostly Terran group who dislike the whole Promethean cult thing and Vulkan along with it, sticking to the old Legion ways and their good buddies in the Sons of Horus :smile.: (Running as Blackshields)

Edited by Noserenda

Ever since tempest, you technically can't do loyal word bearers. I guess the thought that the whole legion being shamed at monarchia and then being sent out to find new purpose + lots of internal culls by lorgar means they're all aligned with him.

Ever since tempest, you technically can't do loyal word bearers. I guess the thought that the whole legion being shamed at monarchia and then being sent out to find new purpose + lots of internal culls by lorgar means they're all aligned with him.

Yeah, actually in the second Black Book it already states that WB are always traitors, but this is mostly a collecting project (don't know of anyone that plays Heresy around here), and if I happen to get to play, I hope they would be a bit forgiving (after all, playing loyalist means no gal vorbak, special characters or other daemon-related nasties).

Never understood really why people are so adamant that you can't have loyalist Word Bearers.

As long as you don't use the demonesque units, it'd be fine.

OK, they purged the loyalists but what about random outpost x, or the Fleet in the warp that got lost for a bit, or those that just disappeared when they suspected that their fellows were being purged.

Play what you want as long as its not insane. If people are decent they'll deal with it.

I have an Iron Hands Clan in my head with an emphasis on fast-attack. Assault and despoiler squads.

Keep in mind that the IH have a rule called "rigid tactics", which forces you to take more infantry than Jump Pack and Bike units combined, so plan your entire list before buying anything, lest you end up building and painting an army that RAW cannot be fielded.

I think a fast Death Guard army using the Reaping would work. Assault squads with rad-grenades and move through cover would be great. Backed up by a javelin squadron, and skyslayer jetbikes (with attached character on bike). sprinkle in some apothecaries with jumpacks to go with the assault squads, add some Destroyers, and some contemptors/Leviathans/deredo and away you go. Not very fluffy but probably quite tasty.

A friend runs lots of assault marines, some javelins and a fair number of Contemptors.

Nothing not fluffy about it, all legions can do all roles or they'd not be able to function. It just happens that most legions are particularly good or prefer a specific approach

Maybe look up their 3rd edition lore that describes the defence of Medusa during the 13th Black Crusade, there's a cool moment in the pivotal battle where Iron Hands assault squads descend from their mobile Clan fortresses and tear apart massed Traitor tanks. Plus the Iron Hands' -1 Str against ranged attacks means Bikes & Jetbikes can be very durable (particularly the latter as you'll wanna keep them at range anyway).

That does have a certain visceral appeal. I'm also thinking a lot of the aesthetics - picturing something like cyborg Templar Brethren minus the tabards (and thinking of your assault elite).

And the climax of Wrath of Iron lingers in my mind.

That does have a certain visceral appeal. I'm also thinking a lot of the aesthetics - picturing something like cyborg Templar Brethren minus the tabards (and thinking of your assault elite).

And the climax of Wrath of Iron lingers in my mind.

Alternatively, cyborg Templar Brethren with *chainmail* tabards :happy.:

Also, if you have any components of an allied Legion collection, one way to get around the Iron Hands restriction on Jump Infantry/Bikes is via a Shattered Legion army, as it's completely removed. 

I do hate to tell ya, but the Chainfist assault unit's probably gonna be scrapped, it didn't really fit the theme aside from that one bit of 3rd Edition lore I mentioned (the Gholem name seemed too appropriate though, so that's being transferred to the Terminator Destroyer unit)

I don't know how "wrong" or atypical it is - but I run my Alpha Legion as a very close combat oriented army i.e. lots of terminators, assault squads, dreadclaws etc. People always seem surprised - and then horrified once Alpharius starts distributing buffs such as preffered enemy.

I'm a Blood Angels player and came up with a hypothetical 3,000 point Pride of the Legion list with nothing but Terminators, Terminator HQs, Storm Eagles, and Sicarans. Is it completely impractical and probably lose me a couple of friends at my con? Yes, probably. Would it be awesome to play with regardless of this? Absolutely.

Edited by Cris R

Alternatively, cyborg Templar Brethren with *chainmail* tabards :happy.:

Also, if you have any components of an allied Legion collection, one way to get around the Iron Hands restriction on Jump Infantry/Bikes is via a Shattered Legion army, as it's completely removed. 

I do hate to tell ya, but the Chainfist assault unit's probably gonna be scrapped, it didn't really fit the theme aside from that one bit of 3rd Edition lore I mentioned (the Gholem name seemed too appropriate though, so that's being transferred to the Terminator Destroyer unit)

I mean, chainmail does also appeal. I picture Clan-Fathers rocking scalemail cloaks.

I know this is a very specific thread about use of the FW 30k rules, but I think it's an interesting discussion to be had about generally what do you do if you don't want to represent a force in the specific window of time that the FW rules portray? If your Sons of Horus are still Luna Wolves at a point in the Great Crusade (at what point in the Crusade, or even during the Unification Wars?) Or perhaps the Sons of Horus after Horus lies dead and they are trying to fight their way towards the Eye of Terror?

I think you could say the same for any of the Legions and their transformation, especially the traitor Legions but not just them. In this way the rules really are very limiting in what kind of character they are trying to represent, and also the arms and armaments that are available to the Legions. This can also extend to how you view them on the tabletop; a tabletop composition of Luna Wolves following the mass intake of new Legionnaires during the Crusade might look very different to the Sons of Horus who are well on the descent to hell and, fighting their way back through the Sol system following their defeat, have a rag tag look of broken equipment and mixed armour marks where they have been forced to scavenge from their fallen allies and foes. 

Sorry totally OT - I read the thread title and thought it was about a more generic discussion ! :D