Playing your legion the wrong way

Mogsam

I mean... I run an armored Night Lords list, or that's the goal anyway. My list almost always has at least three predators, and a land raider. Armored Spearhead is almost there, though. Finishing up a spartan, and then it's onto two more predators (total of six), put paint on the Macharius (Lupercal superheavy LoW), finishing assembling the three sicarans. Once that's all done, we'll see what holes need plugging!

I mean... I run an armored Night Lords list, or that's the goal anyway. My list almost always has at least three predators, and a land raider. Armored Spearhead is almost there, though. Finishing up a spartan, and then it's onto two more predators (total of six), put paint on the Macharius (Lupercal superheavy LoW), finishing assembling the three sicarans. Once that's all done, we'll see what holes need plugging!

Ooh, now VIII Legion heavy armour is something I'd like to see a great deal.

I have 10 assault marines but 6 heavy support choices for my raven guard

How do you deal with "Flesh over Steel"?

How many legiones astartes units does he have? How many of those heavy support choices have are Tanks?

It's honestly a pretty soft restriction; dedicated rhinos and stuff won't break it as its a 1:1 with their LA unit, hqs add a buffer, squadrons count as one unit. Basically 0 drawback to the raven guards very strong legion rules.

is there really a "wrong" way to run Dark Angels?

Taking too few squads, to guarantee a loss of d3 victory points.

Taking Ironwing, but not squadding vehicles for the bs5 bonus.

Taking nothing but power swords on every unit that can bring them.

See, I get the first two, but I need context on the third one? Can someone explain please? Is it a reference to the Calibanite Warblade or?

is there really a "wrong" way to run Dark Angels?

Taking too few squads, to guarantee a loss of d3 victory points.

Taking Ironwing, but not squadding vehicles for the bs5 bonus.

Taking nothing but power swords on every unit that can bring them.

See, I get the first two, but I need context on the third one? Can someone explain please? Is it a reference to the Calibanite Warblade or?

The Legion’s Mastery of the Blade rule allows any Dark Angel with a sword to hit on a 3+ when fighting someone with the same WS. The rule would lead one to think you should equip every infantry unit with a sword to take advantage of the rule. But its utility depends on the opposing unit’s WS, which is something you don’t deal with when playing with other melee focused legions like the Blood Angels whose melee legion abilities applies in all close combat matchups. The Legion’s Stasis grenades and missiles definitely help and the Angels have access to some solid swords like the Terranic Greatswords and Calibanite War Blade.  But I use those options in my Dark Angels ZM lists with other close combat weapons depending on the application. So if you want to run an army with all swords because it looks and feels awesome, do it. Your legion, your hobby!

Edited by Cris R

Ive played various legions (Night Lords, Thousand Sons, World Eaters And Emperors Children in that order) and realised after going to a recent event that it's time for me to actually have a loyalist legion so I don't have to always play the same variety of Legion opponents and get some diversity of opposition in.

After some elimination I was left with Wolves and Salamanders as the rare legions I don't really see often enough and of the two, I think Salamanders gives alot more flexibility - and also isn't played by any friendly regulars.

What I've come up with for my non stereotypical salamanders list. The idea is to play with hard and mobile units not really used in the Salamanders by default and to back that up with a pair of tacticals in rhinos (or vets, I think having only vets is a bit fluffy when most their Legion was wiped out)

+++ Salamanders (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) +++

[2,220pts]

Centurion: Artificer power axe, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field, Scimitar Jetbike

Firedrake Terminator Squad:

Storm shields, 1, master crafted thunder hammers, 3 thunder hammers, 1 chainfist

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Troops

Tactical Squad, additional hand weapons, artifer armour, power axe, melta bombs, rhino, dozer blade, extra armour, pindle mounted multi melta

Tactical Squad, additional hand weapons, artifer armour, power axe, melta bombs, rhino, dozer blade, extra armour, pindle mounted multi melta

Fast Attack

Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron, Legion

Sargent, 4 heavy bolters, 2 multimeltas, melta bombs

Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron, Legion

Sargent, 4 heavy bolters, 2 multimeltas, melta bombs

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter: 2x 2x Kraken Penetrator Heavy Missiles, Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries

+ Heavy Support [305pts] +

Caestus Assault Ram, Legion [305pts]

Two wing mounted: Havoc Launcher

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

It leaves about 300ish points left over to shove something into the caestus. Any ideas?

Main options so far:

Combi flamer terminators

Vets with an assortment of close up weapons and combi meltas

Nullificators

Edited by Mogsam

Any Legion is more flexible than Wolves. 8 rarely take many HQ options in 30k, so having to always spam them is a big no no.

I don't think Salamanders are that restrictive. They're just slower so you have to arm them with the equipment to survive and bash someones face in after.

I'm in the planning/testing stages for a traitor Ultramarine force, using an Esoterist and allied Ruinstorm Daemons. Picturing caught away from Calth when the Ruinstorm hit, daemon lord gets to their former Librarian, they all get corrupted somewhat, that sort of thing. Should be a fun little project.

I'm in the planning/testing stages for a traitor Ultramarine force, using an Esoterist and allied Ruinstorm Daemons. Picturing caught away from Calth when the Ruinstorm hit, daemon lord gets to their former Librarian, they all get corrupted somewhat, that sort of thing. Should be a fun little project.

Chaotic Blackshields are such an underused concept.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 10 assault marines but 6 heavy support choices for my raven guard

How do you deal with "Flesh over Steel"?

I have a boatload of tacticals, recon, seeker and heavy support :tongue.:

Edited by Slips