Sisters of Battle Organizational/detachment Naming scheme

Cmdr Valdric

So, come November, im going to be picking up the new army box of Adepta Sororitas, therefore giving me all the Inquisition's Chamber Militants.

Now, all of my Imperial formations have a name, such as my Watch-Company Secundus "Ebon-Blade" and my Grey Knight Brotherhood "Emperor's Vengeance" and so forth. 

Essentially, I don't plan to collect any more than a Commandery sized force, and outside of choosing/creating an Order, i don't know what/how to name the sub-sections of the Order.

(i know that they break down into Preceptories, Commanderies, and Missions, but im still alittle confused what to name/number each section and subsection, or should i just make a fancy name based on the style of detachment im making?)

Thoughts?

Ok, let me explain. The chain of command is this:

-Order: numbers inside an order can be variable without a clear rule. Major orders (like Argent Shroud, Ebon Chalice or Our Martyred Lady for example) have dozens of thousands of battle-sister under their command while lesser order can vary between a couple of hundreds sisters and three thousands.

It's commanded by a Canoness Superior. It must be remembered that the Canoness Superior of a major order can command other Canoness Superior of minor orders that are successors of her one, giving her power over a full legion sized army. NEVER piss off a Canoness Superior.

-Preceptory: Around one thousand battle-sister. Most orders do not even have a preceptory. It's commanded by a Canoness Preceptor.

-Commandery: Around the two hundred sisters. It the most common size force within the militant orders and it's commanded by a Canoness Commander.

-Mission: around 50 sisters. The most common force for non-militant orders like Hospitallier, Dialogos e Famula. It's commanded by a Canoness or a Palatine (the sisters equivalent of a lieutenant).

It's s important to remember that these forces are not one part of the greater ones (with the exception of the order, obviously). A marine chapter is split in companies and these are split in squads while this is not true for sister forces: a monastery has 1000 sisters? Then is a preceptory. One other has 22? Then it's a mission. But a preceptory is not split in commanderies and a commandery is not in missions.

So the best you can do is to say that your army are the forces of the Preceptory Convent of [put name here] of the Order of [put name here]

Edited by Ezr91aeL

I used to like really using detachments to define relationships within my army. Things like: do your dominions function as an outrider (in which case, they will be closer to other dominions) or are they a part of the Brigade (in which case, they don't their own HQ, so they have a chain of command that involves other types of units). So because it's structure was reflective of relationships, I named each detachment.

Then GW realigned cp generation and now if you don't take brigades and battalions, you're CP crunched. 

Even with brigades and battalions, if you're running a commandery, you'll have multiple detachments, so that's one way to look at it.

When they give us Kill Team rules, you can use that to further define your command structure within your detachments.

One of the organizational quirks of my army used to be that I always put my Repentia in detachments with the Ecclesiarchy units rather than other sisters, thus forming a Penitent Legion, represented by a spearhead, and allowing the Pure of Faith to form a Holy Choir, which is represented by a battalion. Now that Spearheads are a liability, I usually fold the Penitent Engines and the priests into the battalion to help make it a brigade; arcos don't count as anything.

Ok, let me explain. The chain of command is this:

-Order: numbers inside an order can be variable without a clear rule. Major orders (like Argent Shroud, Ebon Chalice or Our Martyred Lady for example) have dozens of thousands of battle-sister under their command while lesser order can vary between a couple of hundreds sisters and three thousands.

It's commanded by a Canoness Superior. It must be remembered that the Canoness Superior of a major order can command other Canoness Superior of minor orders that are successors of her one, giving her power over a full legion sized army. NEVER piss off a Canoness Superior.

-Preceptory: Around one thousand battle-sister. Most orders do not even have a preceptory. It's commanded by a Canoness Preceptor.

-Commandery: Around the two hundred sisters. It the most common size force within the militant orders and it's commanded by a Canoness Commander.

-Mission: around 50 sisters. The most common force for non-militant orders like Hospitallier, Dialogos e Famula. It's commanded by a Canoness or a Palatine (the sisters equivalent of a lieutenant).

It's s important to remember that these forces are not one part of the greater ones (with the exception of the order, obviously). A marine chapter is split in companies and these are split in squads while this is not true for sister forces: a monastery has 1000 sisters? Then is a preceptory. One other has 22? Then it's a mission. But a preceptory is not split in commanderies and a commandery is not in missions.

So the best you can do is to say that your army are the forces of the Preceptory Convent of [put name here] of the Order of [put name here]

Thank you! I knew i was missing something obvious, but it wasn't clicking. I guess im more used to Space Marine and Imperial Guard organizational setups than i thought. 

But this gives me the info i need for my Order's background info and naming scheme.

I used to like really using detachments to define relationships within my army. Things like: do your dominions function as an outrider (in which case, they will be closer to other dominions) or are they a part of the Brigade (in which case, they don't their own HQ, so they have a chain of command that involves other types of units). So because it's structure was reflective of relationships, I named each detachment.

Then GW realigned cp generation and now if you don't take brigades and battalions, you're CP crunched. 

Even with brigades and battalions, if you're running a commandery, you'll have multiple detachments, so that's one way to look at it.

When they give us Kill Team rules, you can use that to further define your command structure within your detachments.

One of the organizational quirks of my army used to be that I always put my Repentia in detachments with the Ecclesiarchy units rather than other sisters, thus forming a Penitent Legion, represented by a spearhead, and allowing the Pure of Faith to form a Holy Choir, which is represented by a battalion. Now that Spearheads are a liability, I usually fold the Penitent Engines and the priests into the battalion to help make it a brigade; arcos don't count as anything.

I haven't really played any 8th editon battles, but im trying to get back into the thick of things with my other armies. but i will keep this in mind. 

In regards to building your order, if you don't want to go with an established order, you can use this: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sisters_of_Battle_Order_Creation_Tables

Thats what im using to generate my Order, using a combination of 1d4chan's series of charts and a stronger lean toward their Schola Progena origins (berets, style of warfare, greater use of small fireteams and tactical flexibility, etc) to generate sometime a little more unique.

I really like the idea that they have close ties to a Stormtrooper/Tempestus Militarium Company trained by the same Schola Progenium alongside specific inquisitors.