Couple of Ultramarines supplement clarifications

Gothical

I have a couple of rules questions arising from the Ultramarines supplement.

1) In the Ultramarines supplement, the Abilities section states:

[...] units in your army with the Combat Doctrines ability [...] gain the Scions of Guilliman ability so long as, with the exception of UNALIGNED units, every unit from your army is an ULTRAMARINES unit or every unit from your army is from the same Ultramarines successor Chapter (see below).

I note that the emphasis of this rule is on army not detachment therefore even if I were to have a main detachment of BLACK CONSULS Ultramarines successors and a separate detachment of ULTRAMARINES featuring Guilliman, all the models on the field lose the Scions of Guilliman ability. Is this correct?

2) In the Ultramarines supplement, the Stratagem Sons of Guilliman states:

Use this Stratagem when [...] unit is chosen to shoot with in your Shooting phase or fight with the the Fight phase. If that unit has the Troops Battlefield Role, until the end of that phase, when resolving an attack made by that unit, you can re-roll a hit roll. Otherwise, until the end of that phase, when resolving an attack made by that unit, you can re-roll a hit roll of 1.

First of all, what counts as "an attack" with regards to shooting when firing a D3 shot weapon - are all D3 shots a single attack and therefore you get one re-roll across those shots, or is each individual shot its own attack?

Secondly, does this Stratagem allow you to re-roll all hit rolls/hit roll of 1s for every attack made by the unit, or is it one re-roll per unit? The wording is ambiguous compared to other entries in Codex: Space Marines:

Rites of Battle: Re roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made by models in friendly <CHAPTER> units whilst within 6" of this model.

Master Artisans [...] When a unit with this tactic fires Overwatch or is chosen to shoot or fight with, you can re-roll a single hit roll and a single wound roll.

Note that Rites of Battle allows re-rolls of "hit rolls" which differs from the Sons of Guilliman's "a hit roll", yet in a case where it specifically applies once per unit (Master Artisans) it specifies "a single hit roll". This has left me horribly confused. How should Sons of Guilliman be played?

Per the Codex Space Marines FAQ:

Q. A lot of rules apply an effect when resolving an attack, rather than attacks. Does this mean the ability only applies for one single attack? For example, the Masterful Marksmanship Stratagem states ‘Until the end of the phase, when resolving an attack made with a special issue boltgun by a model in that unit, add 1 to the wound roll.’

A: The attack sequence in the core rules is based on attacks being made one at a time. Therefore the wording of these abilities matches how attacks are resolved in the core rules. The ability would still apply to other attacks made by that unit, so long as it satisfies the requirements laid out in the rule. In the above example, the ability would apply for each attack you make with a special issue boltgun by a model in that unit until the end of the phase.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of rules questions arising from the Ultramarines supplement.

1) In the Ultramarines supplement, the Abilities section states:

[...] units in your army with the Combat Doctrines ability [...] gain the Scions of Guilliman ability so long as, with the exception of UNALIGNED units, every unit from your army is an ULTRAMARINES unit or every unit from your army is from the same Ultramarines successor Chapter (see below).

I note that the emphasis of this rule is on army not detachment therefore even if I were to have a main detachment of BLACK CONSULS Ultramarines successors and a separate detachment of ULTRAMARINES featuring Guilliman, all the models on the field lose the Scions of Guilliman ability. Is this correct?

So does this mean that if I have a Battalion of Imperial Fists or Ultramarines and then I take a  Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment to bring a Knight Crusader, that my space Marines would not get access to the doctrines??

Yup. If you take ANY unit that does not have the Angels of Death rule, you lose Doctrines, period the end.

Well crap... that's pretty :censored: . Good thing I haven't' ordered the Knight yet.

Per the Codex Space Marines FAQ:

Q. A lot of rules apply an effect when resolving an attack, rather than attacks. Does this mean the ability only applies for one single attack? For example, the Masterful Marksmanship Stratagem states ‘Until the end of the phase, when resolving an attack made with a special issue boltgun by a model in that unit, add 1 to the wound roll.’

A: The attack sequence in the core rules is based on attacks being made one at a time. Therefore the wording of these abilities matches how attacks are resolved in the core rules. The ability would still apply to other attacks made by that unit, so long as it satisfies the requirements laid out in the rule. In the above example, the ability would apply for each attack you make with a special issue boltgun by a model in that unit until the end of the phase.

Remembering this one bit here answers like half the questions people come up with! A weapon that is [Type] X makes X attacks, an attack consists of one to-hit and any subsequent to-wound, save, and damage, and each attack is processed individually and sequentially as far as the game is concerned. You can use fast rolling when the order the attacks are resolved doesn't matter.

Edited by wildweasel