Crimson Fists crazy combos post-FAQ

Happy-inquisitor

There is something to this when you look at Stalker Bolt Rifles though. Look at the Stratagem Target Sighted. As Crimson Fists if you roll a natural 6 you score another hit, that 6 also activates Target Sighted on both those hits scoring 2x mortal wounds. Target Sighted can be activated much lower, especially with every way you can stack +1s yo hit.

There is something to this when you look at Stalker Bolt Rifles though. Look at the Stratagem Target Sighted. As Crimson Fists if you roll a natural 6 you score another hit, that 6 also activates Target Sighted on both those hits scoring 2x mortal wounds. Target Sighted can be activated much lower, especially with every way you can stack +1s yo hit.

Sadly, that isn't how Target Sighted works. It causes a mortal wound on a wound roll of 6+, not a hit roll. 

As I understand it from melee ( not crimson fists) same deal different abilities

Whirlwind of rage on an un modified roll of 6 score an extra hit

So one becomes. Two but there's only one 6 so free bee hit is put aside.

Add in canticle of rage.

While affected a um nod 6 gives another attack this can't generates more ATTACKS. (not hits)

So if this extra attack rolls a6 we get our whirlwind of rage hit again.

Leaving us 4 hits off two 6's

As I understand it from melee ( not crimson fists) same deal different abilities

Whirlwind of rage on an un modified roll of 6 score an extra hit

So one becomes. Two but there's only one 6 so free bee hit is put aside.

Add in canticle of rage.

While affected a um nod 6 gives another attack this can't generates more ATTACKS. (not hits)

So if this extra attack rolls a6 we get our whirlwind of rage hit again.

Leaving us 4 hits off two 6's

Seems to be that there is a consensus that RAW it works this way.

I have mixed feelings about the melee version of this. On the one hand it does look pretty abusive, on the other hand primaris marines have been desperately needing some serious melee punch and this gives it to them. 

In my local games/tournaments I am not going to be trying to stack this too high because I think it would create feels-bad experiences and I am more concerned with having a strong and friendly local scene than with how quickly I table people. By which I mean I will probably avoid the highly contrived examples I have seen elsewhere on the interwebs which use FW named characters to multiply the hits and wounds somewhere into the stratosphere. 

• 3 weeks later...

And.....gone.

New FAQ has reversed the old FAQ. Also came with an amusing designers note which basically said "this is why you can't have nice things".

Anyway, the additional hit no longer auto-wounds.

This makes me very sad and results in less value for Infiltrators.

I hate the nameless players who forced this lol

This was always going to be the result.... GW tries to give a cool and fun rule.... and the community attempts to destroy the game using it for obviously unintended uses.  But hey now people can go "OOHHHH MY SERPENT SHIELDS MAKE ME IMMUNE FOR 1 DMG WEAPONS!" because GW responded in the frame of the question... ugh can be sooo frustrating how people try to bend things to work in obvious ridiculous unintended ways.

This was always going to be the result.... GW tries to give a cool and fun rule.... and the community attempts to destroy the game using it for obviously unintended uses. But hey now people can go "OOHHHH MY SERPENT SHIELDS MAKE ME IMMUNE FOR 1 DMG WEAPONS!" because GW responded in the frame of the question... ugh can be sooo frustrating how people try to bend things to work in obvious ridiculous unintended ways.

I cannot stress how annoying it is to be discussing rules in a friendly match at a game store with nothing on the line and heat the old adage: RuLeS aS wRiTtEn

GW themselves routinely refers to intent. They even did it here! The fact that we, as a gaming community, consistently accept RAW on their face is absurd. I think intent is far more relevant to ensuring the health of the game. Where it's obvious, it is very obvious.

I hope the next FAQ just says “You know what? We’re not answering these. How about you just don’t be a douche?”

Some of the questions asked are just moronic people desperately trying to break a rule, where do these people hide!? I’ve certainly never played with anyone claiming their bolt pistol has just blown up my Baneblade because they rolled a 6 and “Rulz as written lolz”...