Where was the Phalanx when Gulliman arrived at Terra?

Aothaine

Hey everyone! So I know that Guilliman arrived on Terra and helped the Custode push back the Khorne invasion. But I thought the Phalanx was stationed at Terra. Maybe I'm mistaken. Were the Imperial Fists also involved in pushing back the Khorne invasion of Terra? If not, where were they at the time?

Also, Since there is not a model for our chapter master Vorn. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find information regarding him? Do they go into battle often or does he administrate from The Phalanx?

the phalanx deploys when the fleet deploys.  They recruit from terra and are the only chapter who has that right as far as I am aware, but also recruit from others.  They are essentially a fleet based chapter, so when Guilliman arrived, i am assuming this wasn't during hte battle of the horus heresy, then the phalanx could have been somewhere else, like at cadia's gate. 

the phalanx deploys when the fleet deploys.  They recruit from terra and are the only chapter who has that right as far as I am aware, but also recruit from others.  They are essentially a fleet based chapter, so when Guilliman arrived, i am assuming this wasn't during hte battle of the horus heresy, then the phalanx could have been somewhere else, like at cadia's gate. 

Ahhhh okay. I thought the Phalanx was permanently stationed at Terra. I suppose it makes sense that it moves around.

it moves around alot, but it makes return trips to terra, especially if the chapter was to take heavy losses.   Essentially its a floating monestary.  However if it was just going to send one company, it might not go with them, they can take a strike cruiser and head out, but if the chapter was to show up in force, say 3 or more companies then the phalanx will likely show up.   The dark angels have a floating monestary too, however I think there "rock" stays in a more standard orbit so to speak, it can move as well, but I don't think its warp capable like the Phalanx is.    Also in the lore, the imperial fists chapters has suffered severe nearly chapter wiping losses on several occasions and has had to rebuild its strength several times in the past 10k years.  That being said, it has never lost the phalanx.  And it is known they have recruitment shrines on several planets throughout the galaxy, so they don't recruit from one source or homeworld like most chapters.  I think the Templars do the same.  

So the Phalanx might have been on a mission and went to Cadia when they received the distress signal? Did the Khorne invasion start at the same time as the Cadia invasion? Did Vorn know of the invasion of Terra while they were gone? Was there a response from Vorn regarding this? 

I ask because the Imperial Fists hold themselves as the guardians of Terra. The Emperor assigned them this task. I wonder how they took it when they found that Terra was saved by Guilliman coming to the rescue with Ultramarines. It would almost seem like Vorn neglected his duty. Not being where he was needed when the time came would not sit well with the Imperial Fists from what I have learned of them. Especially since it was an invasion of Terra itself. 

Are there any interactions between Vorn and Guilliman in the books yet?

Edited by Aothaine

I'm pretty sure the Khorne Invasion happened after Cadia and the Cicatrix Maledictum. 

If I'm remembering the order of events correctly, Celestine was on Cadia, then led survivors through the webway with Yvraine to Ultramar, woke up Guilliman, then Guilliman went back to Terra. 

Guilliman was already on Terra when Khorne invaded. 

As far as I know, there isn't anything with Guilliman and Vorn. And I don't think I've seen anything about the Fists being on Terra at the time. 

I’m going off memory, I’ll check when I get home; but I think the Imperial Fists were on Terra when Guilliman gets there. Don’t they come and help him on Luna? Hazy memory, but my gut says I’m right lol. Could be off.

They also are there initially and help him spear head the Indomitus Crusade. They win much reknown and praise in that endeavor from Gman himself.

Interesting. I wonder if Imperial Fists will get a book regarding their actions during the time period, feelings toward primaris marines, and how their companies are doing now. I mean to say that Guilliman pretty much said that breaking up the legions was a bad idea. So I wonder if the Imperial fists swelled their ranks and are working with more than 10 companies now.

Well I think they would accept Guillimans doctrinal changes whole heartedly. I mean this in no negative light. But the original Imperial Fist Chapter ideologies and cults were lost in the War of the Beast. In its place is a ideological base mostly inspired by the beliefs of a Chapter that embraced Guillimans initial reforms post the heresy. Now other Chapters did contribute to the rebuilding of the Chapter, but not in the capacity that the Fists Exemplars did. Maximus Thane had huge influence post that conflict. Not just with the “New” Imperial Fists, but the chapters formed in the 4th Founding and the surviving chapters not of his bloodline.

I think it’s here the Fists become codex Paragons, not during Dorns tenure, which open fascinating story ideas. Not that the Fists would value another patriarch over their own, but I think it’s a safe bet that Guillimans codex is firmly enshrined in Fist Doctrine and has been so far longer than it ever wasn’t. I think you would only see true divergences in the Chapters outside Thanes influence... Black Templar’s, Crimson Fists, Executioners and excoriators. Soul Drinkers didn’t make it (though I’d Champion a Indomitus chapter to take there place lol). I don’t think I’m missing anyone?

With even Guilliman breaking his doctrines via the formation of an Ultramarines 11th Company... I wonder if the gloves are off? Would that give the other Chapters cause to do the same? If I were a Chapter Master I would be breaking the hell out of that part lol.

Hey I just confirmed via the first 8th Edition Codex:

The Phalanx repels a Iron Warrior/Daemon force from taking over during the 13th Black Crusade. They were assisted by the Legion of the Damned in that endeavor. Though the Phalanx is heavily damaged, it was critical in the evacuation of the survivors.

The Imperial Fists rescue Guilliman on Luna.

They are on Terra and help Guilliman repel the chaotic invasion.

They are instrumental in the Indomitus Crusade and are honored as such by Gman.

Hey I just confirmed via the first 8th Edition Codex:

The Phalanx repels a Iron Warrior/Daemon force from taking over during the 13th Black Crusade. They were assisted by the Legion of the Damned in that endeavor. Though the Phalanx is heavily damaged, it was critical in the evacuation of the survivors.

The Imperial Fists rescue Guilliman on Luna.

They are on Terra and help Guilliman repel the chaotic invasion.

They are instrumental in the Indomitus Crusade and are honored as such by Gman.

This is what I'm talking about! Thank you for verifying this info for me! So the boys are doing the good Emperor's work! Love it!

• 3 weeks later...

it moves around alot, but it makes return trips to terra, especially if the chapter was to take heavy losses.   Essentially its a floating monestary.  However if it was just going to send one company, it might not go with them, they can take a strike cruiser and head out, but if the chapter was to show up in force, say 3 or more companies then the phalanx will likely show up.   The dark angels have a floating monestary too, however I think there "rock" stays in a more standard orbit so to speak, it can move as well, but I don't think its warp capable like the Phalanx is.    Also in the lore, the imperial fists chapters has suffered severe nearly chapter wiping losses on several occasions and has had to rebuild its strength several times in the past 10k years.  That being said, it has never lost the phalanx.  And it is known they have recruitment shrines on several planets throughout the galaxy, so they don't recruit from one source or homeworld like most chapters.  I think the Templars do the same.  

The Rock is Warp Capable and go pretty much anywhere