Modelling: Rhino Door Tutorial

I have hinged the doors on both of my rhinos, using two different methods (the leadership10.com one and another one described earlier here at the B&C), both were pretty awkward and difficult to pull off. This method seems much easier and more neat.

I have used the same methods as Des on mine also. I will definitely have to try your method in the future. Good article.

I have used this method on my new Rhino's top door yesterday night and it worked really well! Thanks B.Exodus!!! :D

For the side doors I used my own invention, which I will present to you asa I get my hand on a digicam... I keep it in secret by now... I can promise it is even more simple but working as good (better? :lol: ) as above shown :D

Just hope someone did not came with it before me...

Cheers and keep watching this forum guys! :P

• 3 years later...
Great method, I have just done my landraider doors , one folds down and one up , they work and look great , they fit flush and do not drop open easiiy. I found that the best wire to use is electrical fuse wire , I bought a card with 4 grades of wire on for 75p ( 40c) this gives enough wire for about 100 doors.

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice tutorial Brother Exodus, but if you hinge the side doors, then you still can't look into the rhino because of the 2nd set of doors. Is there any way of making the interior visible from the side doors without removing the second set of doors?

Thanks,

Cyclone

Interesting variation on the old method (which was to cut off the outer knuckle on each door and then use L-shaped pins). I must say this one produces much nicer-looking results. If I can get fine enough wire, I'll have to try this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

First post ever by me on B and C. Just call me "newb".

Been playing around with wire. I can confirm that 22ga wire is hard on the fingers. :P 20ga seems to work okay as the hinge's pin, though. Going to try some 24ga or maybe 32ga (that could be a little thin). 22ga only allows about 2 rotations worth, or you can't jam it into the hinge slot on the smaller doors (top doors have lots of room). Arts and crafts stores have jewellery wire in these gauges.

I'm not quite fully there yet, but I'm adapting this hinge system to magnets, for removability/modularity. I do think the final product of these hinges looks "boss".

Yes, holy thread resurrection, Batman. Thanks for the tutorial, Exodus -- seriously it would be helpful to know what gauge wire you used.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
I use very similar method, but have ALL the hinges made of metal, replacing the ones on teh door, as then there is no weak structure. The metal used is staples for an automatic stapler in a phtocopier - these come as flat sheets and are difficult to work, but very tough and as they are flat ratehr than round, will bend in one driection naturally.

Archived