Moirax lightning lockes and robots; redundant?

brother_b

I love the idea of lightning lockes it sounds like such a mechanicum weapon. I’ve got 4 robots and can go up to 6 (2 unbuilt). I run stygies so Mars strat not on the plate.

It seems to me that the robots seem to have a very similar roll to me. Am I doing it wrong?

I know that my helverins knock down transports and heavy infantry.

So just wondering to those that are running the Moirax.

I've built two of them, but so far haven't gotten around to play a game. And yes, they do exactly what the shooty robos do, just...simpler.

A comparison for your situation - no Mars strat or Cawl:

• The weapons have identical range, strength/AP/damage
  • Robots and Moirax have, on average, the same cost per hit (~12pph)
  • both have options to reroll 1s (Robos the Dominus/canticle), Moirax House Vulker)
  • robos suffer more when to-hit penalties come into play (due to lower BS), but ignore cover

Looking at the platforms:

• both have the same toughness and saves (when robo is in double shoot mode)
  • the moirax have twice the wounds
  • moirax can move 14" and shoot without penalties, robos suffer penalties for moving (single shot mode) or cannot move at all (double shot mode)
  • moirax have no futher buffs without a preceptor, while robos can benefit from canticles and repairs

I think that's it, for the differences. The huge difference in resilience (twice the wounds) and phenomenal mobility as well as the gorgeous models (unlike the derpbots) make it clear for me - Moirax all the way. Robos can be more points efficient under very specific circumstances, but those cost you in terms of CPs and buffing models, making it debatable.

As I prefer a flexible, mobile approach instead of a gunline literally incapable of moving for the rest of the game, Moirax are simply better for what I intend. I don't need to take care about stacking up all the buffs, or positioning them correctly so they have the best possible position for the rest of the game, or find something else to target hiding units. I just take the Moiraxes, keep them far away not to get into CC, and mow down hordes where needed.

Very well written and I appreciate the input. I actually like the look of the robots.

I’ll get two anyway and am getting my armiger force ready to go. Will be nice to have the options of setting up a base of fire with the robots and having the same firepower in a mobile base via the armigers.