Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Luggub's Droppaz; Rogue Trader-themed Orks

alien wars rogue trader orks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,881 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth
t.jpg

Waa-ork! Here are the Arch-Arsonist's crack* ladz from the Charadon Empire; Luggub's Droppaz:

x.jpg

* Definitely implying elite, and not a euphemism for 'expendable'.

+ Hruk's Gang +

orks%2Bluggub%2Bi.jpg

Cheerful looking bunch, aren't they? I guess when your boss is the boss' mate, you get best pick of the loot (well, after da boss and da boss' boss – and da uvver bosses – have had their go).

I think the greenstuffed grins are my favourite part of this mob, but the nailed-on hand that allows Hruk to use the bolter he looted from some luckless Crimson Fist veteran is a close runner up.

p.jpg
The flaming skull on his belly plate is the Charadon Empire symbol (see below).

+ Zerox's Gitz +

orks%2Bluggub%2Be.jpg

orks%2Bluggub%2Bf.jpg

This squad's got the best examples of the Rogue Trader elements I've tried to get in: a mix of ramshackle weaponry that nevertheless looks manufactured rather than all custom-built; heavier armour than modern orks; and a (slightly anarchic) sense of uniformity. I've tried to get more of a sense of individuality through, so they look like an undisciplined army, rather than a warband of beasts. 

+ Wortoof's Mob +

orks%2Bluggub%2Bg.jpg

orks%2Bluggub%2Bh.jpg

The clans – Deathskull, Evil Sunz etc. – weren't around for the Battle for the Farm era, so I ummed and erred about whether to retcon them in or not. In the end, I decided to keep things simple to avoid diluting the look. With that said, not showing it off isn't the same as saying it's not there – I think it'd be possible to pick out a mob of more Snakebitey-looking boyz, such as the fur-clad Wortoof here. Similarly, the two in the front rank here look slightly more like Blood Axes than the others.

+ Splatta's squad +

orks%2Bluggub%2Ba.jpg

orks%2Bluggub%2Bb.jpg

This mob's a good example of the contrast between the jokier-looking ork on the right, and the more savage Splatta in the centre. I'm not against humour in orks; I just think it's more fitting when there's a nasty streak to it...

+ Ident-markers and ikonography +

Backplates came in with Waaagh the Orks, and were given a lot of emphasis in terms of markings – working as a bit of blank space equivalent to a Space Marine's shoulderpad. They haven't really been mentioned much since 3rd edition, though they haven't explicitly been written out. The models, however, still have 'em, so I used the info from Rogue Trader to add the symbol of Luggub's Drop Legion to them:
h.jpg

Warpaint's also mentioned, so a few of the boyz have got classic chequers, dags and – what better for the troops of the Arch-Arsonist? – flames.
orks%2Bluggub%2Bj.jpg

orks%2Bluggub%2Bk.jpg

Edited by Apologist, 05 September 2019 - 10:14 AM.

• mithrilforge, Sandlemad, Lexington and 9 others like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,777 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
So much character and history in those models! Awesome work Apologist!
  • Apologist likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,277 posts
  • Faction: Still Undecided

Great work indeed!

gallery_45765_12339_7181.pnggallery_26154_15777_6252.png
The Argent Fists - Space Marines: Successor Chapter of the Imperial Fists

The Moirai - Chaos Knights: Sisters of Fate

Renegade White Scars - Chaos Space Marines

Order of the Steel Rose - Sisters of Battle

4th Company - Dark Angels

The Roaring Lions - Ultima Founding Successor that I can use with any ruleset

Short Stories: Brother Ashur

Brother Dallo

Brother Dallo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,476 posts
  • Faction: Angels Encarmine
Some really characterful models here.

You should be proud of them.

Do you have any WIPs?

Dallo

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03B_Custos_Fidei.jpg 

So yeah, long story short.

Dallo <- Blame that guy.

Obscura, on 08 Mar 2016 

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,302 posts
  • Faction: The Aurora Chapter

Seriously, one of the most interesting Ork projects I've seen in a while. Great stuff.

• Marshal Rohr likes this
gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,492 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I'm struggling to find Ork heads that don't have a whimsical/boisterous look for my orks. I'm really trying to play up a monstrous feel. 

• FlamingDeth likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Wolf Lord Duregar

Wolf Lord Duregar

++ SECURIS VINCO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,668 posts
  • Faction: Space Beakiez & Orks!

Lovelly boyz! I had that box of metal Orks from RT.... With that Space Marine scenario on some farm? Sadly long gone.. But it is fond memories you gave me there.. Great job!

Oomans are pink and soft, not tough and green like da Boyz. They´z all the same size too - no big ´uns or little ´uns, so they´z always arguing about who´s in charge, ´cos there´s no way of telling ´cept fer badges an´ ooniforms and fings. Anuvver fing - when they do sumfing, they try to make it look like somfink else to confuse everybody. When one of them wants to lord it over the uvvers, ´e says "I´m very speshul so´z you gotta worship me", or "I know summink wot you lot don´t know, so yer better lissen good". Da funny fing is, arf of ´em believe it and da over arf don´t, so ´e ´as to hit ´em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot of mukkin´ about if yer asks me. An´ while they´z all arguin´ wiv each other over who´s da boss, da Orks can sneak up an´ clobber da lot.

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,881 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

You should be proud of them.Do you have any WIPs?
Dallo

Yes, quite a few. When I next have access to a proper computer I’ll upload some.

Seriously, one of the most interesting Ork projects I've seen in a while. Great stuff.

Ta very much. All part of a broader project (The Alien Wars) that’s looking at the question ‘what would the Rogue Trader-era stuff look like if it came out now?’

I'm struggling to find Ork heads that don't have a whimsical/boisterous look for my orks. I'm really trying to play up a monstrous feel.

Thoroughly recommend the Blood Bowl Orcs for that - slightly smaller, slightly more savage, but still identifiable as a GW Ork.

Lovelly boyz! I had that box of metal Orks from RT.... With that Space Marine scenario on some farm? Sadly long gone.. But it is fond memories you gave me there.. Great job!

Ta very much – and my pal Bob Hunk and I re-fought The Battle of the Farm with his awesome Crimson Fists.
  • Wolf Lord Duregar and Marshal Rohr like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,492 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

You should be proud of them.Do you have any WIPs?
Dallo

Yes, quite a few. When I next have access to a proper computer I’ll upload some.

Ta very much. All part of a broader project (The Alien Wars) that’s looking at the question ‘what would the Rogue Trader-era stuff look like if it came out now?’

Thoroughly recommend the Blood Bowl Orcs for that - slightly smaller, slightly more savage, but still identifiable as a GW Ork.

Ta very much – and my pal Bob Hunk and I re-fought The Battle of the Farm with his awesome Crimson Fists.

You are a genius

• Wolf Lord Duregar likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Wolf Lord Duregar

Wolf Lord Duregar

++ SECURIS VINCO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,668 posts
  • Faction: Space Beakiez & Orks!

Lovely! I´ll get some coffee and have a look at that Battle Report, thanks! :D

Oomans are pink and soft, not tough and green like da Boyz. They´z all the same size too - no big ´uns or little ´uns, so they´z always arguing about who´s in charge, ´cos there´s no way of telling ´cept fer badges an´ ooniforms and fings. Anuvver fing - when they do sumfing, they try to make it look like somfink else to confuse everybody. When one of them wants to lord it over the uvvers, ´e says "I´m very speshul so´z you gotta worship me", or "I know summink wot you lot don´t know, so yer better lissen good". Da funny fing is, arf of ´em believe it and da over arf don´t, so ´e ´as to hit ´em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot of mukkin´ about if yer asks me. An´ while they´z all arguin´ wiv each other over who´s da boss, da Orks can sneak up an´ clobber da lot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alien wars, rogue trader, orks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users